what is your edc-self defensive spyderco?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
iyn

Post by iyn »

BAL wrote:Every time I read a thread about self defense carry or here people talk in person,
radio, tv or wherever, I have to shake my head. No offense to anyone and we all
live our lives the best that we feel we can and do the things that we believe in.

If you don't want to carry a weapon (or what you perceive is a weapon) that is
always your own choice, but I always find it funny that some make the comments
that they don't go to places where they might need to protect themselves, or that
they avoid those areas.

How the **** do you know that. ANY PLACE can be dangerous. Again no offense to
anyone and avoidance is always the best defense, but you also can't walk around
with blinders on either. The world is unfortunately changing in many respects and
I prefer to be prepared for what it might bring.

I have insurance, carry a spare tire, jacket, flashlight etc etc. A plan for personal
protection is probably the most important choice that I can make. Much like life, health
or automobile insurance, you don't plan on using it, but you never know when you might
need it.

Someone says that they don't carry a knife for self defense, but you might if some jumps
out and grabs you or your spouse or child and tries to hurt them.

I don't walk around with my head on a paranoid pivot sneaking from cover to cover, trying
to get from one place to the other, but a common daily self defense plan that is simply part
of your daily routine is a person's best defense and best way to way to be prepared, just in case.

Stay Safe.
Thanks for that comment.
iyn

Post by iyn »

RanCoWeAla wrote:I carry a Caly 3.5 for everything. I'm not going to say the words self defense but I figure if a Gentleman used one of these to get a Mountain Lion off his Son then it would get anything else off as well. Besides they Caly 3.5 is the most comfortable knife I have ever carried on a clip and that's most important a of all
It was that story you referenced that got me thinking about carrying a second knife for self defense. where I live there is no mountain lions, but there have been attacks by dogs, my uncle a dog lover got attacked in his own neighborhood.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

iyn wrote:It was that story you referenced that got me thinking about carrying a second knife for self defense. where I live there is no mountain lions, but there have been attacks by dogs, my uncle a dog lover got attacked in his own neighborhood.
I hear pepper spray has a good chance of working; I would probably couple that with a bright flashlight which doubles as a striking aid. I'm also pretty sure that most anyone who can throw a good kick or punch can knock out (or choke out) a medium to small dog. Rattling a small brain or a big one has the same effect: Lights out.

In fact, I would trust concussive force over bladed defense in almost all cases. That is, unless someone isn't capable of delivering enough trauma (skill or physical disposition). That or the animal is huge and your bladed options are something like a sword. :)
Kweb

Post by Kweb »

Cricket and .32 Revolver
My :spyder:'s : Sage 1, Native 4, Cricket, Dragonfly 2, Tenacious, Persistence Blue, Jason Breeden Rescue, Cat, Delica 4 Grey FFG, Renegade, CF Dodo, Orange Endura 4 FFG, Lum Chinese Folder
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

Blerv wrote:I hear pepper spray has a good chance of working; I would probably couple that with a bright flashlight which doubles as a striking aid. I'm also pretty sure that most anyone who can throw a good kick or punch can knock out (or choke out) a medium to small dog. Rattling a small brain or a big one has the same effect: Lights out.

In fact, I would trust concussive force over bladed defense in almost all cases. That is, unless someone isn't capable of delivering enough trauma (skill or physical disposition). That or the animal is huge and your bladed options are something like a sword. :)
Blerv not a criticism of your statement as such but just some facts .
I won't include Bull mastiffs as they are or can be huge but will say they were bred so they could have one side of their skull crushed and still bite and hold.
I'm not sure if a dogs brain is concussed the same as a humans I really don't know other than experience.
I've posted this before but just a point my uncle was attacked by a English bull terrier they have no weight limit in the breed standard.
But this one was about 35-40lb it grabbed his calf muscle and ripped it off and ate it whilst he was on the floor no exaggeration .
Then the dog dragged him along the ground he had a milk bottle in the uk they were thick glass bottles and about 2lb in weight full.
He was a boxer too and smashed the bottle as hard as he could nothing , he stabbed the dog several times nothing .
Only when the store keeper who was watching poured a boiling kettle on it did it let go .
I've also witnessed the same breed go through toughened glass doors which must have taken incredible force .
I doubt the majority of us could knock out a dog with a bull breed type head whatsoever .
Recently in the uk a American bulldog grabbed and started to year a small dog to pieces the owner picked up a stick and was hitting and punching it as hard as he could no effect at all .
He only got the dog free after he got a knife and stabbed it how many times before it laid down - 18 .
This is not a story its online In a national newspaper somewhere .
A lot of people underestimate how powerful dogs are and the injuries they can sustain with little affect .
A human weighing 200lb would go down far easier than a 60lb dog no comparison .
My own dog ran chasing a cat in the garden into a wooden door the cat had jumped through the top which had a hole in it.
The wood was 1/2" thick her head went straight through it like a cartoon and got stuck on reflection quite comical but not at the time.
Just happy the cat got away and mace or pepper spray is ineffective against dogs it doesn't have the same result as it does on people .
It irritates the nose - pepper spray in dogs but not the eyes I've no idea why but again have seen it first hand .
The father in law was head security for Manchester city football club in the 90s .
And police would use it tear gas etc and the dogs would be right next to it completely fine .
There are ways in which to stop dogs attacking but you have to be very quick and experienced to stand a chance I'd rather face a irate 15 stone man than a aggressive dog any day of the week :) .

Just to give a small example watch this its not fighting but a TV show called fear factor.
The dog is a Bandogge originated in England .
The name Band meant to tie like bandana as during the day they were chained at night let lose.
This dog is medium size my BM was about 1/2 the size again and had a bigger head and similar guarding instinct .
Anyone here watch this and tell me if you think you'd be quick enough against either dog or knock out Curly :D .
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3jdULSNQHT ... jdULSNQHTc
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Bladekeeper, your input is MUCH appreciated :) .

I should have guarded that initial statement with more disclaimers. A person of moderate size with moderate to no training should avoid contact with all dogs if possible. The aggressive breeds are definitely pound for pound brutally powerful compared to humans without tools.

The one reference I had was reading about a guy who defended his dog from a couple others in a park. I don't know what kind of breeds decided to attack his (variable 1) but do know that he had years of professional Muay Thai fights in Thailand which is far from the sport we see locally (variable 2). He was able to stop both of them quite quickly but I expect his knees and shins are different than yours and mine. :)

The question isn't if a blade is better than a fist but rather "What kind?" A Military is not a Dragonfly2, A Schempp Rock isn't a Swick. If given the choice between a Swick, Dragonfly2 or my fist I wouldn't bother with the folder (probably). I just doubt the enraged animal would stop hydraulically in time...it sure wouldn't from psychological injury or pain. Frankly, I don't want to get in a dog fight at all, lol.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

P'Kal.Can be used both ways.And sometimes I bring Tano( Amstaff male) with me.
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

Blerv wrote:Bladekeeper, your input is MUCH appreciated :) .

I should have guarded that initial statement with more disclaimers. A person of moderate size with moderate to no training should avoid contact with all dogs if possible. The aggressive breeds are definitely pound for pound brutally powerful compared to humans without tools.

The one reference I had was reading about a guy who defended his dog from a couple others in a park. I don't know what kind of breeds decided to attack his (variable 1) but do know that he had years of professional Muay Thai fights in Thailand which is far from the sport we see locally (variable 2). He was able to stop both of them quite quickly but I expect his knees and shins are different than yours and mine. :)

The question isn't if a blade is better than a fist but rather "What kind?" A Military is not a Dragonfly2, A Schempp Rock isn't a Swick. If given the choice between a Swick, Dragonfly2 or my fist I wouldn't bother with the folder (probably). I just doubt the enraged animal would stop hydraulically in time...it sure wouldn't from psychological injury or pain. Frankly, I don't want to get in a dog fight at all, lol.
Blerv the point you make I'd agree with **** I'd even say a well practiced Thai would smash a pitbull .
I have lived in Bangkok on and off between 92/93-96 and Thai kickboxing there isn't what it is here.
They smash the shin against hard objects repeatedly this causes micro fractures when they heal the shin bone thickens over time and repeated practice they develop serious shin strength .
There is a series not so familiar in the uk as the states called Stan lee superhuman .
A lot is crap but one guy breaks a wooden baseball bat held by two guys with his shin needing around 700lb of force.
More than enough to break most shin bones then he does another maple iirc , he snaps it with consummate ease , recording 1000lb + iirc .
I won't link it but I know what your talking of my cousin through marriage was Thai muay kickboxing champ .
And the average 12 year old Thai would whoop *** your average 18 year old Brit any day .
I was just stating the edc knife defence with a dog is in reality not what most think .
I maybe in hindsight came over a little pedantic and your tongue was probably in your cheek slightly .
But the amount if people that read these things and take it as given is beyond belief .
I know the oldest breeding kennel of bull mastiff in the world they are good friends I've had three BM from them.
They did a test that a 110lb BM running at 30 mph most achieve higher would hit you at a force estimated at 2 tonne .
So if you half that at 55lb which is medium dog that's a ton not many would have much about them to reach for a knife or punch one.
But it was just me quoting dog facts and telling a story that I posted more than anything .
Get me started on dogs and you'll never shut me up :D ;) .
Cheers Blerv .
Drew78

Post by Drew78 »

Glock 26 in S30V sprint run!
Apex

Post by Apex »

On duty: Glock 22, Matriarch, Kershaw blur.
Off duty: Generally one of 5 PM2s, s&w m&p .40.

Knives defense is nasty and brutal, hence the firearms.
r small

Post by r small »

S&W .38 snub. Then pepper spray. If I was reduced to using a knife for self-defense I'm probably already a goner.
Sharktooth

Post by Sharktooth »

Warrior!!!
:spyder:
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

r small wrote:S&W .38 snub. Then pepper spray. If I was reduced to using a knife for self-defense I'm probably already a goner.
Up close, I'd rather have a good sharp knife with a nice point to it than any gun. Far more damage in far less time.
"The World is insane, with small pockets of sanity here & there. Not the other way around."

:spyder:-John Cleese- :spyder:
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Monocrom wrote:Up close, I'd rather have a good sharp knife with a nice point to it than any gun. Far more damage in far less time.
Exactly. While you don't have any concussive force you do have the means to make a huge hole in a short amount of time. Plus no collateral damage from stray bullets.
jaypowell0185

Post by jaypowell0185 »

Glock 26
zeroed4x

Post by zeroed4x »

Endura or Resilience, either one.
Zeroed4x W4WTA
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Blerv wrote:Exactly. While you don't have any concussive force you do have the means to make a huge hole in a short amount of time. Plus no collateral damage from stray bullets.
Problem is, after you've carved away on the other guy he has quite a bit of time to finish whatever he started with you before he bleeds out. It's fairly hard to stab a hole straight thru someone's heart, for example. Those pesky bones get in the way!

For some reason people think a gun needs distance to work. It's just a really mean staple gun up close. Some people train with that in mind.
All God's critters have knives.
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

zhyla wrote:Problem is, after you've carved away on the other guy he has quite a bit of time to finish whatever he started with you before he bleeds out.
That's assuming he actually wants to stick around and finish once he realizes he's pumping blood all over the place, on the outside.
"The World is insane, with small pockets of sanity here & there. Not the other way around."

:spyder:-John Cleese- :spyder:
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Monocrom wrote:That's assuming he actually wants to stick around and finish once he realizes he's pumping blood all over the place, on the outside.
Yup, assuming too that he can still skedaddle. :)
FarmerTed

Post by FarmerTed »

Monocrom wrote:Up close, I'd rather have a good sharp knife with a nice point to it than any gun. Far more damage in far less time.
I know this is a knife forum, but really? Look at the recent news, person being assaulted on the ground, one shot the heart took the fight right out of the attacker. Being in NYC don't rely on the NYPD as a basis for shooting results, 37 shots fired, perpetrator scared but unharmed, 12 bystanders wounded.