what is your edc-self defensive spyderco?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Monocrom wrote:That's assuming he actually wants to stick around and finish once he realizes he's pumping blood all over the place, on the outside.
It's pretty common for people to not realize they've been stabbed or shot until after the incident is finished.
All God's critters have knives.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

FarmerTed wrote:I know this is a knife forum, but really? Look at the recent news, person being assaulted on the ground, one shot the heart took the fight right out of the attacker. Being in NYC don't rely on the NYPD as a basis for shooting results, 37 shots fired, perpetrator scared but unharmed, 12 bystanders wounded.
Call it luck, call it a biological anomaly. There are more stories of people getting shot and living than one time and stopping. Certainly more of people missing half a dozen rounds at nearly point blank range. Especially with adrenalin pumping.

People rarely practice unarmed combatives who rely on a ranged tool. That makes the clinch terrifying. It also by process of elimination makes every problem seem to require a hammer as its the only tool they have.

Anyone who is concerned about defense and doesn't put on some boxing gloves or try out a few weeks of BJJ is delusional. That stuff will save you in 99% of the situations that don't legally justify using lethal force. Even in that 1%, if you can choke them out it's sure easier than scrambling for a holster.
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

FarmerTed wrote:I know this is a knife forum, but really? Look at the recent news, person being assaulted on the ground, one shot the heart took the fight right out of the attacker. Being in NYC don't rely on the NYPD as a basis for shooting results, 37 shots fired, perpetrator scared but unharmed, 12 bystanders wounded.
Oh don't worry. No secret that the NYPD can't shoot straight. More and more individuals becoming police officers for the same reason so many go into teaching ... The job-security. There's only one shooting range left in Manhattan. Darren does a great job running it. But it has become an old joke that the worst shoots are NYPD officers. (Well, that is when they actually bother to show up at all.)

Still going to prefer a good sharp knife for up close and personal. Yeah, there are plenty of stories of one-shot stops. Also plenty of stories of guys who got shot multiple times and still kept coming. The Old-Timers know to aim for the pelvis when it's clear that multiple shots aren't doing $#!% to end the encounter. I love how some so-called firearms instructors always teach to only go for the head or the heart.
"The World is insane, with small pockets of sanity here & there. Not the other way around."

:spyder:-John Cleese- :spyder:
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

zhyla wrote:It's pretty common for people to not realize they've been stabbed or shot until after the incident is finished.
Yeah, and much of the time those are the victims who get stabbed and then tell you it felt like a punch. Someone initiating violence is going to be far more aware when things go wrong. As for those pesky bones getting in the way, that only happens when you try stabbing through a rib-cage instead of going up from underneath it.
"The World is insane, with small pockets of sanity here & there. Not the other way around."

chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Monocrom wrote:Oh don't worry. No secret that the NYPD can't shoot straight. More and more individuals becoming police officers for the same reason so many go into teaching ... The job-security. There's only one shooting range left in Manhattan. Darren does a great job running it. But it has become an old joke that the worst shoots are NYPD officers. (Well, that is when they actually bother to show up at all.)

Still going to prefer a good sharp knife for up close and personal. Yeah, there are plenty of stories of one-shot stops. Also plenty of stories of guys who got shot multiple times and still kept coming. The Old-Timers know to aim for the pelvis when it's clear that multiple shots aren't doing $#!% to end the encounter. I love how some so-called firearms instructors always teach to only go for the head or the heart.
Don't they have those 12 pound NYPD triggers too?
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

There is a fundamental difference in pulling a trigger than as somebody here pointed out stabbing or cutting somebody .
You could spend years learning combat technique , and offensive strategy .
However until your in that situation you don't know how you will react and what your body's response will be.
This is a tamed version of Silat the sarong techniques aren't shown as they are so fast its hard to see on camera .
I trained with these guys in Malaysia , Thailand and Indonesia and if you were armed with a knife and came across somebody proficient in this art .
Then you'd wish you'd not have carried anything sharp at all as it would most likely be coming back your way .
Also the dancing style is tradition like bando its ingrained in the culture of these warriors , the beats of the drums are used to help time your strikes counters and evasive moves .
The most brutal disarming techniques where the weapons were discarded from the fray caused injury to the guys practicing .
The speed , agility and ability to read an attacker is vital in the outcome , myself I was attacked and in a very tight area .
The best I could do was to use my arms to defend against the blows and my hands , after managing to get out of the situation did I reflect that wether the SD techniques I practised helped .
On reflection maybe they did but the fact is as was my case you won't know its coming until its already happening .
If you do have that element of anticipation then the dynamics change , as Blerv stated grappling gouging or a quick strike will often be the FAR better option than meeting blade with blade etc .
I'm no expert not even an armchair one but after three years of training on and off I reckon I'm still at least ten to fifteen years away from what I would want to be if something like this happened again .
Adrenaline is amazing in what you can sustain and how you can perform but again only when you have enough time to draw on that and then have clarity can you apply it .
In most instances reality is a different ball game , how many times have you read or heard of MA experts being attacked and being on the losing end this doesn't mean they aren't accomplished in their chosen field .
Just that the law of averages means where weapons are involved unless you are talking decades of experience and real life situations your not going to come out on top as likely as you are to flip a coin and have it land on heads 10 x in a row.
Boxing , kung fu etc unarmed combat is a different ball park .
Any way for those Interested here's the link no Affiliation just an example http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2vzARMNBew ... vzARMNBewY
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Don't they have those 12 pound NYPD triggers too?
Glocks aren't the only pistols approved for carry. But more often than not, yeah; that's what you see. Getting saddled with such a trigger just means spending more time at the range. Yet you'll rarely see an NYPD officer stop by Darren's place.

chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Monocrom wrote:Glocks aren't the only pistols approved for carry. But more often than not, yeah; that's what you see. Getting saddled with such a trigger just means spending more time at the range. Yet you'll rarely see an NYPD officer stop by Darren's place.
What about the other guns approved for them, do they have lighter triggers? I guess that no amount of range time will make me accurate with that kind of trigger. Especially in a stress situation.
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

There's the Glock 19, the Double-Action Only version of the SIG P226, and finally the S&W 5946 model. Older officers are allowed to continue to carry their S&W model 10 or their hammer-less S&W model 64. But I believe that courtesy is not extended to newer officers.

Not sure regarding the trigger pulls of the P226 or the 5946.

A handful of different weapons approved for off-duty carry.