what is your edc-self defensive spyderco?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
iyn

what is your edc-self defensive spyderco?

Post by iyn »

what is your edc-self defensive spyderco? I changed from the endure to the stretch 2.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

My EDC for self defense isn't made by Spyderco. It's made by Glock. Except on days when I'm dressed lighty or formally--then it's made by Kahr.

I've spent some time studying blade based martial arts, and my major conclusion is that knife fighting is a brutal, nasty, bloody affair that I have no desire to ever participate in for real.
johnnygomer

Post by johnnygomer »

TomAiello wrote:My EDC for self defense isn't made by Spyderco. It's made by Glock. Except on days when I'm dressed lighty or formally--then it's made by Kahr.

I've spent some time studying blade based martial arts, and my major conclusion is that knife fighting is a brutal, nasty, bloody affair that I have no desire to ever participate in for real.
My EDC for self-defence is not a Spyderco either. Generally, either Ruger SP101 .357 Magnum or Springlield .40 XDS.
Yoko von der Rasierklinge

Post by Yoko von der Rasierklinge »

I recently switched to the fixed blade Lum tanto as my EDC blade for self defense.
While I EDC a SIG P238 in addition to my Lum, I have the fixed blade as an option for self defense against unarmed assaults (usually by thugs in groups where power is felt in numbers). The firearm comes into play if they too are armed with a knife or gun and intent on harming me or those I love and care about.

I agree with Tom that knife fighting creates a viciously disturbed affair of maiming & blood loss, which is why I would never defend myself against a knife wielding assailant with my fixed blade if I had my gun as an option.
JudasD

Post by JudasD »

TomAiello wrote:My EDC for self defense isn't made by Spyderco. It's made by Glock. Except on days when I'm dressed lighty or formally--then it's made by Kahr.

P380 for the win!

JD
Gunslinger

Post by Gunslinger »

I carry my Yojimbo 2 as a utility/self defense knife. But my primary self defense is either my Glock 23 or in the summer my Ruger LCP.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
sir_mike

Post by sir_mike »

I dont carry a knife for self defense but to use as a tool. I would use it for defense against a dog attacking or something like that but not intended for self defense against another person. :)
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

A sturdy pair of shoes and a good knowledge of where I am. I have no desire to end up in court justifying my actions if I could have avoided the situation. Worst case scenario and I can't avoid it, whatever happens to be at hand. Good luck charging me with intent what there's more tape residue than dna.
:spyder: Scott :spyder:

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
-Sir Winston Churchill-
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Some folks can't carry a gun legally...
peacefuljeffrey

Post by peacefuljeffrey »

Amen.
"Within this frame an ocean swells -- behind the smile -- I know it well..."
iyn

Post by iyn »

I can't carry in my area and after some injuries I can't run.
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

No need in more than fifty years of lifetime for self-defense if you life in a peaceful country. Therefore I don't carry a knife or something else for that purpose ... maybe I have to change my mind, if I visit the US.
Is it really so dangerous to life in the states? First time I ask this, as over the years beeing a forum member I often see threads like this.
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
Yoko von der Rasierklinge

Post by Yoko von der Rasierklinge »

I find comparisons of other countries with the US are difficult to make since few are as big in size. You will also typically find a more homogenous culture in a peaceful country. The diversity and melting pot of clashing cultures and ideas spanning across the North American continent creates a dangerous environment indeed. It is also worth noting that the US has some of the highest incarceration rates compared to any other nation.

Si vis pacem, para bellum
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

In Canada you are not permitted to carry a weapon (knife, gun, stick, etc.) for self defense. Knives are just tools for me.
NAKK77

Post by NAKK77 »

spyderco endura 4 ffg is always a SD backup for me.
Galatians 2:20
Total Surrender /FONT]
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

akaAK wrote:In Canada you are not permitted to carry a weapon (knife, gun, stick, etc.) for self defense. Knives are just tools for me.
What about hands? :p
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

I am of the opinion that if you don't know how to fight with a knife then using a blade in a self-defense scenario is a good way to get yourself stabbed with your own weapon.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

senorsquare wrote:I am of the opinion that if you don't know how to fight with a knife then using a blade in a self-defense scenario is a good way to get yourself stabbed with your own weapon.
Getting stabbed with your own knife is certainly a possibility but which would you say is a more dangerous opponent? An untrained and unarmed man or an untrained man armed with a knife?
noseoil

Post by noseoil »

P2000sk in 40 S&W. In Arizona a concealed carry is your right. I have a permit & have studied what it means to carry a concealed weapon, but it isn't necessary. I have never had to defend myself, but we are too close to Mexico, drug smuggling, illegal immigrants with multiple felony convictions, gangs and car thefts to assume I will never need a weapon. Molon Labe.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

I don't carry a knife for SD, it's a tool.

Honestly, I don't generally find myself out in situations where it's an issue.

That said, I understand bad things can happen anywhere and I would use whatever I had available in such a situation.

I get the value of planning, training etc and if my lifestyle were different I might pursue those activities. But it isn't and I don't.

Ken
玉鋼