what is your edc-self defensive spyderco?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I use my Spyderco bug. That way when someone takes it away from me they can't hurt me too bad. That is MY self defense. :)
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Like Ken, I don't EDC for SD. My knives are tools first and functional jewelry second. And, like him I generally avoid putting myself in harms way. On the rare occasions that's been unavoidable, I've carried a handgun, whether it was legal to do so or not and probably would do so again. However, if the need arose and I didn't have a better option, I'd use whatever folder was in my pocket and that's generally a Stretch.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:What about hands? :p
LOL - Don't carry my hands as they are attached to my body, use them to carry other things.

Interesting point though as I remember an old legal case about an individual who had practised martial arts and the question about the use of those skills in the individuals self defense. Not sure of the outcome but the question about the use of appropriate force is relavant.

Sorry for giving Chuck the opportunity to hijack this thread. :)
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Peter1960 wrote: Is it really so dangerous to life in the states?
Statistically, the rural USA (outside of cities with population of more than 150,000 people) is the safest place in the world. It's also, statistically, the place in the world you are most likely to encounter a private citizen who is armed. I know lots of people who want to draw a correlation between those two things, but I personally think they are both outgrowths of the same culture. Another outgrowth of that culture is the tendency to carry a knife as a tool. I would be curious to learn what percentage of Americans (in areas where legally allowed) who carry a blade or a firearm on a daily basis carry both of them--I bet it's a pretty high percentage.

FWIW, I personally began carrying a pocket knife around age 10. But I didn't begin carrying a firearm regularly until I became a parent. I'm willing to risk my own life and safety (and being underprepared is always a risk), but I am not willing to risk the safety of my children.
Pomelly

Post by Pomelly »

Never carried a knife for SD, but I usually carry a Delica wave... I hope to never need to use this knife to injure somebody, or a dog or something else... I live in a very small town where the knife is necessary only to kill the time :p
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

smcfalls13 wrote:A sturdy pair of shoes and a good knowledge of where I am.
Situational awareness is always the first (and best) form of self defense.
Yoko von der Rasierklinge

Post by Yoko von der Rasierklinge »

senorsquare wrote:I am of the opinion that if you don't know how to fight with a knife then using a blade in a self-defense scenario is a good way to get yourself stabbed with your own weapon.
The chances of you being assaulted by someone formally trained in knife fighting or skilled in the disarming of blades is rather slim (not backed by any statistics mind you, I would just assume this to be true of petty criminals)

I am personally of the opinion that if you carry your blade on you enough and informally practice safe and quick drawing at home, the familiarity of your own knife even without classical training can still give you the "edge" in self defense worth the risks involved.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Yoko von der Rasierklinge wrote:The chances of you being assaulted by someone formally trained in knife fighting or skilled in the disarming of blades is rather slim (not backed by any statistics mind you, I would just assume this to be true of petty criminals)

I am personally of the opinion that if you carry your blade on you enough and informally practice safe and quick drawing at home, the familiarity of your own knife even without classical training can still give you the "edge" in self defense worth the risks involved.
I think you make a very good point.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I carry the knife I want and expect my defense in almost all cases would be bones covered with muscle and skin. :)
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Yoko von der Rasierklinge wrote:I am personally of the opinion that if you carry your blade on you enough and informally practice safe and quick drawing at home, the familiarity of your own knife even without classical training can still give you the "edge" in self defense worth the risks involved.
That's certainly true, though depending on the situation having two hands free could be desirable. Someone once told me a knife is for killing the person who doesn't know you have a knife, and there's some truth to that.

You're better off with: running away, a gun, a stick (in that order).

For the non-Americans, the U.S. has the same area as Europe but with half the population. So obviously there are places where violent crime is rare, places that are more sketchy. Maybe unlike Europe (?) there are places that are outright dangerous (mostly Southern border towns), but chances are if you're on the internet talking about $100 knives you don't live anywhere near there.
All God's critters have knives.
hiredgun

Post by hiredgun »

Peter1960 wrote:Is it really so dangerous to life in the states?
We have a lot of mall ninjas who think so. :p

The United States of America is huge and like anywhere in the world, there are areas that are more conducive to dangerous encounters than other areas. On the flip side, there are many, many areas that are as safe as can be. That being said, anyone can be a victim of crime no matter where you are. I like to be prepared for anything life may throw at me but within reason of course. Depending where I'm going and what I'm wearing dictates what I have on me whether it be a firearm, fixed blade, folder, gentlemen's knife, slip joint, etc. I generally don't wake up in the morning thinking, "What knife am I going to carry with me today for self-defense?" If I think I'm going to be in a dangerous area, I'm fortunate that I have the option of carrying firearms. I may also dress like a baseball player and carry a bat with me at times. :rolleyes: I'd much rather use a bat or club than use a knife for self-defense.
You can't display a toad in a fine restaurant like this! Why, the good folks here would go right off the feed!
Yoko von der Rasierklinge

Post by Yoko von der Rasierklinge »

zhyla wrote:You're better off with: running away, a gun, a stick (in that order).
Absolutely, a safe escape is always the best choice for surviving unscathed. This is also assuming you are either alone in being assaulted or you are willing to risk the loved ones you might be with by betting on the fact they can successfully flee as well.

Also, remember that someone with criminal or harmful intent has enough wit (usually) to play to any advantage possible to increase their chances of getting away with it. If they target you, the assailant likely sees you as an easy victim because you are either: A) an unaccompanied female, B) an elderly person, C) disproportionally smaller in physical size than the attacker, or D) you simply let down your situational awareness for whatever reason and end up cornered in an area not visible to witness.
zhyla wrote:For the non-Americans, the U.S. has the same area as Europe but with half the population. So obviously there are places where violent crime is rare, places that are more sketchy. Maybe unlike Europe (?) there are places that are outright dangerous (mostly Southern border towns), but chances are if you're on the internet talking about $100 knives you don't live anywhere near there.
Rural areas and towns (even the Southern border ones) are safer than any high density inner city I have ever visited on my business trips across America. In less populated places, it is more valuable to have firearms for pesks and for the self defense of the unhuman kind in the wild.
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

kbuzbee wrote:I don't carry a knife for SD, it's a tool.

Honestly, I don't generally find myself out in situations where it's an issue.

That said, I understand bad things can happen anywhere and I would use whatever I had available in such a situation.

I get the value of planning, training etc and if my lifestyle were different I might pursue those activities. But it isn't and I don't.

Ken
+1
curdog

Post by curdog »

For self defense my is a Springfield XDs or was a Browning HP for many years
Ranger908

Post by Ranger908 »

Whichever is the lightest, so it won't weight me down when I'm running. If its a fight with a bear, the sharpest one so I can stab me friend in the leg so he can't run.
"I am right 98% of the time, the other 3% I don't worry about"
shaolinbill

Post by shaolinbill »

As Bruce Lee said, "Whatever works." Meaning - gun, knife, bat, pencil, fist, ground, car, door jam, belt, it's all good ... self-defense is a mindset. Do you have it when you need it? Would you use it if you had it?
endgame

Post by endgame »

I live in asbury park Nj my wife has a store in Newark Nj..both verry bad towns..been mugged more then once. The hero ends up dead.knives last resort everytime mugger had gun.cant carry guns in Jersey.best bet givem the money do not tell them u have a knife .use knife only as last resort and a surprise attack if life is on the line only money is easy come easy go.u show a knife first and they have a gun.dead.surprise is you're best weapon.money is not worth your life.I Cary three knives all good self defence but nothing trumps a gun.
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

Peter1960 wrote: Is it really so dangerous to life in the states? First time I ask this, as over the years beeing a forum member I often see threads like this.
Without going into such detail that it would put half of us to sleep, it depends on where you are, and the surrounding circumstances. There are areas of the US that are very dangerous, but it's not as bad as it's made out to be for the most part.
:spyder: Scott :spyder:

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
-Sir Winston Churchill-
Kihlo7

Post by Kihlo7 »

I have friends from other countries that won't come here because they are scared to. I have some that are scared of criminals and some that are absolutely scared of guns because they have never even shot or held one and have many misconceptions. But overall US is a safe place but like many have said there are some places that can be dangerous such as the inner cities which many countries just don't have like we do. The inner cities where poverty is rampant is where the crime is.
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

If I had to rely on a knife, it would be either my waved Delica or waved Endura.
"The World is insane, with small pockets of sanity here & there. Not the other way around."

:spyder:-John Cleese- :spyder: