What year did you buy your first Spyderco?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

1990 Spyderco Endura GIN-1 zytel with the integral molded clip. Started the hobby for me. had it imported for me. My first high quality knife
It's better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

1995 - I got a spyderco when I achieved level 2 in my FMA training.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

I bought a Manix 2 LW, then a Para 2. I just ordered a Manix 2 all black hollow grind model and a Tenacious in all black. :)
sspfiremedic

Re: What year did you buy your first Spyderco?

Post by sspfiremedic »

1992 Clipit Rescue. It was my first quality knife.
On Edge

Post by On Edge »

Bought a Spin (spider web design), followed closely by a Giraffe Bone Kopa. Still have them both.

But I should note my discovery of Spyderco was accidental - I bought the Spin just to replace a 'money clip' knife I had lost, and when I got it in hand, well … you know the rest.

~ edge
Last edited by On Edge on Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JD Spydo

Re:

Post by JD Spydo »

SolidState wrote:1995 - I got a spyderco when I achieved level 2 in my FMA training.
HEY SS that's just cooler than COOL :cool: That's the same year I got my very first Spyder as well :) It was in the early Spring of 1995 and I had went to this same gun show about a month earlier and got one of my very first premium blades to get my addiction going full steam ahead :eek: IN that first Gun Show of thaty year I got 2 Benchmade blades>> one was the automatic version of the Phil Boguszewski Spike model 1000 and I also got the legal model 640 Boguszewski Spike which I still have and it was the model 640. They became 2 of my all time favorite knife designs.

One month later another knife dealer was at the show and he was telling me that if I liked Benchmade that I would absolutely love Spyderco and he was right and the rest is history. It was that fateful, delightful day in the spring of 1995 I got a stainless handled, full Spyderedged MARINER model with GIN-1 blade steel. I remember it like it was a month ago or less.

It wasn't long after that when I got a few others like my first POLICE model and a Renegade model also with GIN-1. Yes 1995 was a very memorable year for JD :)
stalag2

Post by stalag2 »

I noticed the Q and the Millie circa 1996-7 in french guns magazines, i was very fond of the Q and the Spyder logo.
I got my first one in 2000 which was a SS SE Standard then a SS SE Harpy and i managed to snag a Q few months later.
Around 2001 i got a Millie and a bunch of others, cant recall in which order but to name a few, Native, Matri, Pro Venator...
762cal

Post by 762cal »

2010. Persistence. didn't like the hole. give it away. 2011, Persistence again, didn't like it; gave it to my brother, followed by Gayle Bradley folder which makes me appreciate Spyderco so much... until now
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

Not really sure about it but my best guess is 2005. (could be 2006 also)
It was an Endura 3 (with the old style tip , linerless handles barrelscrew pocketclip vg-10).
I loved that knife enough to really fall in love with the chinook 2 i bought a year later. Still have my chinooky and will never part with it even in the scratcht up beat up way it is at this moment it still is one of my most precious spydie's, all the memorys i have with that knife fishing , hiking, i even took it to school! :o :p In those days i was only drawn by the more special bladeshapes. Now i love them all XD. The Endura was sold to buy the Chinook (I was 15 at the time and you know money was a problem at that age :p ). The Chinook as the only spyderco i had unthil 2010 i believe then little by little the Spydiefever grew and grew.
And yes now i am a full time addict :D
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Standard SE some time in the late 70s---Early 80s??? That was a lot of beers ago so the old mind is kinda fuzzy!! :rolleyes: John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
SpydyLover123

Post by SpydyLover123 »

2013 sage 1.
Willamette

Post by Willamette »

Mid to late 80s. First was a bluish serrated ladybug at a mall knife shop in Texas (Hoffritz IIRC and it was engraved/etched on the blade).
Molle Ninja

Post by Molle Ninja »

Around 1987-89. I'll post a picture of it and maybe the historians in the group can date it.
BTG

Post by BTG »

I'm a newbie, 2013..an all black Tenacious...I have a lot of catching up to do....74 so far, two in the mail,1 on preorder.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Back in 1997, my friend showed up to work with a black Endura. After playing with it for several moments, I knew I needed a Spyderco as well. I went home and looked on eBay and found the Q model, which I immediately ordered. Ever since then, I've been a Spyderco guy.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
PanChango

Post by PanChango »

My first was a harpy in roughly 1997 if I remember correctly. I carried that knife in tandem with a BM mini spike until I lost it around 2006. I just kept that 1 knife until I stumbled across the SB Caly 3.5 and bought my second Spyderco knife.
BDNX

Post by BDNX »

Either 2005 or 2006...it was the gray sprint run Calypso, Jr.
Able Dog

Post by Able Dog »

I was given my first Spyderco as a gift in 2006 (Tenacious), but I first bought my own towards the end of 2013 (Manix 2).

W.O.T.W. - Way of the Wharncliffe