Hi, my name is Syxsuke and I'm addicted to Spydies

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
GreatSyxsuke

Hi, my name is Syxsuke and I'm addicted to Spydies

Post by GreatSyxsuke »

Hello all, long time lurker but first time poster. Within the past month, I purchased a Byrd Flight and Cara Cara 2 FRN, as well as a Spyderco Ambitious. I returned the Flight because the edges tore my hand up too much when I reached in my pocket. The other two were knives I loved but I wanted to upgrade again. So those were returned and I purchased a Spyderco Squeak. Just yesterday, I ordered a Foliage Green Delica 4 Combination Edge.

I think I have an addiction. :) . What would you suggest for another knife that is bigger than the Delica but isn't quite as big as an Endura? Should I go back and get another Cara Cara 2 or purchase another knife? I appreciate any input.

Syxsuke
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Stretch!

And welcome to the forums!
Holland

Post by Holland »

Either a para2, manix2, stretch, or a caly3.5
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
GreatSyxsuke

Post by GreatSyxsuke »

I actually was looking at a PM2, digital camouflage specifically. My local knife shop guy showed me the FRCP Manix2, which I loved except for how the lock was so stiff that I couldn't close it one-handed. Does it break in enough with use to be able to do that? Also how is the Native compared to those mentioned?
Donut

Post by Donut »

Welcome to the forum, it looks like you're ready to roll down the hill. :) My advise: pace yourself.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

All of the above suggestions (and advice) are suited to your needs, but I say get the Stretch. Welcome to the forum and enjoy the participation. We will be expecting pics of your knives now that you are a member. :cool:
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
mattman

Post by mattman »

the Manix lightweight will break in nicely... if it was manufactured recently, it will have an adjustable pivot, so you can set it up to your liking... great knife.
GreatSyxsuke

Post by GreatSyxsuke »

Donut wrote:Welcome to the forum, it looks like you're ready to roll down the hill. :) My advise: pace yourself.
Rest assured, pacing myself is a given. The wife would probably skin my hide if I kept buying Spydercos. :p
Current carry: Spyderco Squeak or Spyderco Pingo (Back right pocket), Paramilitary 2 Black G10 (front right pocket)

Future wants: Karahawk

"It's far better to carry and never need than to not carry and desperately need."
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

How are you liking the N690Co in the Squeak? DO you currently have a sharpening system?
*Landon*
GreatSyxsuke

Post by GreatSyxsuke »

xceptnl wrote:How are you liking the N690Co in the Squeak? DO you currently have a sharpening system?
I actually skinned a piece of the tip of my finger because I'm not used to having such a sharp knife :D . No complaints about the steel, it does what I need to do (opening boxes, cutting tape, cutting the odd piece of food) and does it well.

I have one of those two step sharpeners, which I know won't get my blades back to hair-popping sharp. Once I save up enough, I will absolutely get a better system. Any suggestions?
Current carry: Spyderco Squeak or Spyderco Pingo (Back right pocket), Paramilitary 2 Black G10 (front right pocket)

"It's far better to carry and never need than to not carry and desperately need."
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I need better clarification of what you mean about your "two step sharpeners". This will help with my answer or suggestion.
*Landon*
GreatSyxsuke

Post by GreatSyxsuke »

xceptnl wrote:I need better clarification of what you mean about your "two step sharpeners". This will help with my answer or suggestion.
The sharpener I have has one slot with two crossed carbide rods and another with two crossed ceramic rods. It was around $5 at Dick's Sporting Goods.

SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

GreatSyxsuke wrote:I actually skinned a piece of the tip of my finger because I'm not used to having such a sharp knife :D . No complaints about the steel, it does what I need to do (opening boxes, cutting tape, cutting the odd piece of food) and does it well.

I have one of those two step sharpeners, which I know won't get my blades back to hair-popping sharp. Once I save up enough, I will absolutely get a better system. Any suggestions?
Welcome aboard, Syxsuke! Looks like you've certainly caught the SpyderBug. ;) I'd say your case is probably terminal, though, given that you've already been "bitten" by the Squeak. To answer your question regarding sharpeners, I honestly have to say that your best bet is to get a Sharpmaker made by Spyderco. I purchased mine about ten + years ago and have been very pleased with its sharpening capabilities. As for a knife recommendation, I echo Chuck; get a Stretch. You may also want to consider a Centofante 3. ;)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
johnnygomer

Post by johnnygomer »

Welcome to the forum.
I am new myself, though I too have peeked in from time to time to answer some of my questions.
I don't have a Stretch yet. Its next on my list.
But I do so like my Manix 2 lightweight. It less bulky than the Endura, and way more knife than the Delica. Also, it now comes in the black FRCP rather than the blue translucent which, forgive me guys, looks a little "cheap." I really like how it fits in my hand.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

GreatSyxsuke wrote:The sharpener I have has one slot with two crossed carbide rods and another with two crossed ceramic rods. It was around $5 at Dick's Sporting Goods.
Do your knives a favor, don't ever use this sharpener on your spydies again. Take SpyderNuts suggestion and get the sharpmaker!
*Landon*
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Stretch!

And welcome to the forums!
This, and welcome also!
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy
GreatSyxsuke

Post by GreatSyxsuke »

xceptnl wrote:Do your knives a favor, don't ever use this sharpener on your spydies again. Take SpyderNuts suggestion and get the sharpmaker!
I actually haven't touched my Squeak's blade to that sharpener at all, as I only got the knife last Friday. I'll probably have to save up a bit to get the Sharpmaker so hopefully I won't need to sharpen it before I can. Any other advice that anyone can throw my way in regards to my new addiction? :)

BAL

Post by BAL »

Welcome to the forums. I have found that many knives are a litle tight at first
but will loosen up some with continuouis opening and closing, not oo much, but
enough. Just like breaking in a pair of shoes or ball glove.

The ParaMilitary is a great knife, although it is impossible to find right now. If
you think that you want one and find it somewhere, buy it when you have a chance.
DJFrostbyte

Post by DJFrostbyte »

Another budget conscious option for a knife that is bigger than the delica is the tenacious. That is part of spyderco's budget line but is a FFG blade, G-10 handles, and decent steel (8cr13mov). You can pick up a tenacious for around $40 or less. It is a great beater knife. And DONT use one of those carbide sharpeners, they just simply shred your knife. They are very unfriendly to the steel and remove way too much metal! Get a sharp maker for about $50-60 and don't look back! Good luck, and welcome to the forum!
Endura 4 FFG - Delica 4 FFG - Sage 3 - Dragonfly Salt - Forum Native - Manix 2 LW - Manix 2 G10 - Tenacious - Persistence - Ambitious - Byrd Meadowlark G10 - Cat - C13 Pro Grip - Delica C11PBK - Atlantic Salt - Navigator - Para 2 Camo - Delica C11PBLE - White Endura Sprint - Mule MT05P - Delica 4 FFG - Salsa - Native 5 Ti - UKPK - Sage 1 - Dragonfly G10
GreatSyxsuke

Post by GreatSyxsuke »

I only used the ceramic side of that sharpener on my other knives because I read somewhere what you said, that the carbide was more for taking a lot off to get a chip out. I definitely will be getting a Sharpmaker.
I must be looking in the wrong places, because I keep finding it for around $100, not $50-$60.