Endura Super Blue..

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Rangodash

Endura Super Blue..

Post by Rangodash »

I know this has been beat to death, but does anyone have any idea of when these will be dropping? I'll admit I'm excited and am impatient in getting mine. Knifecenter said May, but recently a picture of the knife showed up with the description, but now it doesn't say a time. So please, if anyone knows anything about this sprint or other sprints, post it here.
(Libertarian)(.357)(CPM M4)
Barman

Post by Barman »

I'm hoping they'll get shipped soon!

Just received a new Terzuola to tide me over in the interim. This can get expensive.
Looking at the Lum carbon folder now.... must resist. :rolleyes:
Gunslinger

Post by Gunslinger »

Is the Grey FRN/Superblue steel line going to be limited or production?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Gunslinger wrote:Is the Grey FRN/Superblue steel line going to be limited or production?
IIRC it will be 1200 pieces per model. Endura, Delica, Stretch and possibly a Dragonfly....
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

From what I remember, it is Endura in June and Delica in July. These windows may get pushed back, however. I can sympathize with the degree of frustration - the Delica in SB is my only planned knife purchase this year. :D
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

D1omedes wrote:...I can sympathize with the degree of frustration - the Delica in SB is my only planned knife purchase this year. :D
That shows tremendous restraint and inner peace to abstain from purchasing all the other new models. And if you are a Delica guy, how can we resist the Ti Damascus model?
*Landon*
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

xceptnl wrote:That shows tremendous restraint and inner peace to abstain from purchasing all the other new models. And if you are a Delica guy, how can we resist the Ti Damascus model?
To be completely honest, I have gone through a two year period of frequent purchases, trades and sales of Spyderco models. That whirlwind helped me calm down my appetite for new models (student loan payments helped as well :rolleyes :) .

Now I have a clear benchmark to compare new models to - the Caly 3/3.5. This has been my favorite model for the past two years and keeps knocking everything else out of my pocket. I got to try out Super Blue and love the steel, except for its corrosion resistance. The new Delica in SB really puts my mind at ease since the blade is laminated. Factor in that the price is not really that bad and it has become a definite purchase.

The only other model that I was anticipating was the Native 5 Lightweight. Luckily, for me that is, it doesn't look like the Native 5 LW is coming soon so that has cleared the rest of my desired purchases for the year.

I'm still on the lookout for the Spyderco kitchen knives but I have a feeling we won't see that until 2014, at the earliest.
GrossPolluter

Post by GrossPolluter »

I can't say when the release for the SB Endura will be, but I sure am in anticipation -- for sure!

It had been scheduled for a May drop, so hopefully soon...?! :)
philllll

Post by philllll »

I have one on order with KC. Emailed them last week with this question and their response was, "Unfortunately, Spyderco cannot provide a firm date."
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

I hate to sound ignorant but I guess I am. While i ordered one from my dealer (that makes it sound like an addiction when you say that, doesn't it??) to keep my endura collection complete. I don't know diddley about this steel. Does anyone have the cliff notes on it? thanks
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
Barman

Post by Barman »

tonydahose

I picked up the Caly sprint on a whim just to try out the Super Blue and I fell in love with the blade. It does tarnish a bit so it does need some extra maintenance but IMO the benefits of the alloy are well worth the effort.
Here's a great write-up on the steel. http://www.edgeobserver.com/caly-3-5-gr ... l-c144ggy/
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Tony I will give you humble opinion. The Superblue on the Caly sprints was amazing with great carbon steel properties including good edge stability and ease of sharpening. I would assume we will see these new superblue laminates show up after a little use with patina'd cores and shiny laminate slabs. This should mean the spine and pivot areas will be typical spyderco stainless. I have taken the liberty of quoting spyderco's superblue info.
Aogami Super Blue is produced exclusively by Hitachi Metals at their plant in the Shimane Prefecture, Japan. They use high quality iron-sand found only in this region to create different grades of steels including white steels and blue steels. The steel itself isn't blue or white in color but the designation refers instead to the color paper the raw steel comes wrapped in when delivered to Hitachi. In Japan its common practice for steels to be named and referred to; based on the color of the packaging the raw steel is delivered in. Super Blue is the highest grade blue steel and contains up to 1.5% carbon for wear resistance and chrome to elevate hardness and improve edge holding and corrosion resistance.
*Landon*
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

tony - In my experience, Super Blue takes a very sharp edge and is very easy to sharpen as well. The only con's is that it can be brittle (it never chipped on me though) and it has low corrosion resistance. The patina is very unique, IMO, as it tends to go a light shade of blue with certain foods (ie. apples).
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

Thanks Gents!
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

The lowest carbide steels seem to have the best "edge stability" ( not wear resistance). Super blue, though not as stable as white has much better wear resistance, a bit easier to heat treat due to the tungsten which also gives wear resistance , and seems to keep the blades from burning/overheating. Many shops knives were made in are little more than garage/outbuilding family type operations with no computer controlled ovens. They do it the old way and still go by the color of the steel as it's heating. .

All the YSS steels are excellent and if you look at the compositional differences you notice they aren't that much different from Aogami 1 through Super Blue. Just higher alloy content.

Another thing to note is the extremely clean nature of the steels:

http://www.paragoncode.com/temp/YSS_HCC_spec.pdf

I have heard they use virgin iron and not recycled scrap even so far as to going around buying old anchors from ships built in the late 1800's. Not sure of the truth to that but there was almost a competition for them due to the old Irons purity.

Back on subject, White steel is excellent and will take some of the thinnest knives you have ever seen. Edge stability is great. It is also one of the two "rusty-ist steels I've used

Thanks,

Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
tap78

Post by tap78 »

Does anybody know what kind of steel (I hope not 420) will be used for outer layers of Super Blue laminate?
All websites show only Super blue steel... but noting about outer layers...
...or maybe it will be a solid SB blade, but prototypes was just laminated...
My spyder:'s: Military Camo, Paramilitary 2 CTS-XHP Orange, Paramilitary 2 CTS-204P Green, Endura 4 ZDP-189 ComboEdge BRG, Endura 4 ZDP-189 FFG BRG, Manix 2 Lightweight Blue, Caly 3 G-10, Salt 1 Yellow SE C88SYL, Ulize, Manix I C95, Manix 2 XL S90v CF, Delica 4 CE Black C11PCBBK, Manix 2 154CM, Military All Black C36GPBK, Stretch SE C90SBK Black FRN, Caly3 CF ZDP-189/420J2, Sage 3 BoltLock CF, Gayle Bradley C134CFP, Squarehead C193TIP, Pacific Salt Yellow SE C91SYL, Pacific Salt Black C91PBK, Ladybug 3 Salt LYL3, Stretch CF ZDP-189 C90CF, Lum Large Chinese Folder C143G, Perrin Street Bowie FB04PBB, Mantra Titanium C202TI, Farid K-2 Titanium C185TI, Para 3 C223GPGYCW Para 3 Cruwear
Gunslinger

Post by Gunslinger »

tap78 wrote:Does anybody know what kind of steel (I hope not 420) will be used for outer layers of Super Blue laminate?
All websites show only Super blue steel... but noting about outer layers...
...or maybe it will be a solid SB blade, but prototypes was just laminated...
I agree, I hope it's not 420. That stuff is so soft, my Caly 3 came straight from the dealer with scratches all over it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
mattman

Post by mattman »

Gunslinger wrote:I agree, I hope it's not 420. That stuff is so soft, my Caly 3 came straight from the dealer with scratches all over it.
IIRC, I think Sal said cladding is to be ATS34...? (not sure what, actually, but something other than 420...)
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

mattman wrote:IIRC, I think Sal said cladding is to be ATS34...? (not sure what, actually, but something other than 420...)
I remember reading this as well. Hopefully we won't get a steel that's too soft.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

D1omedes wrote:I remember reading this as well. Hopefully we won't get a steel that's too soft.
Since Seki maker for the Endura/Delica uses washers to center I'm guessing the scratches won't be as bad.