Do you carry a knife just because you like knives?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
macatac

Post by macatac »

Funny, or sad, thing recently happened. I have carried a knife for the past 10 years or so, nearly every day. I like to have it, and do find uses many days. So a guy at work gets cut using a knife (wrong tool for the job in this case) and now we have a cutting tool policy. I can basically use one at lunch to cut some steak or whatever, but for any "work" related task, open blades are now illegal. As an interesting side note, one of the managers that pushed the policy was from across the "pond." He could not understand any use for a knife, other than food prep. Just another day at the job. :rolleyes:

Macatac
Gunslinger

Post by Gunslinger »

I find reasons to use my knives, even when there is absolutely no reason to.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ginsuwarrior

Post by ginsuwarrior »

My nails grow really fast and trimming with sharp knife is a great pastime!!

If you work wood then getting splintered is common, again, sharp knife is better than tweezers in splinter removal.

Anybody who works in the elements or with the elements will always need a blade.
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

I think I do tend to carry knives just because I like them. My lifestyle doesn't require a lot of tasks from an EDC knife but it still nice to have a sharp :spyder: at the ready when there is a task that requires it. If my line of work even let me carry a knife, then I would gladly wear one of my Spydies every day.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

ginsuwarrior wrote: Anybody who works in the elements or with the elements will always need a blade.
ginsu, I think I am going to have to add this to my signature! Well said.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Adrenaline_6

Post by Adrenaline_6 »

Use mine pretty much everyday.
racer88

Post by racer88 »

Like many men, I've always had a fascination with tools... even tools for which I would have no use... or would have no clue on how to use. Knives are among the simplest of tools that go back very far in the history of mankind. We're hardwired to use and like tools.

I've had knives off and on over my years going back to when I was a kid. I never really committed to carrying one for any extended period of time until I got my first Spydie. I bought a Caly 3 CF a few years ago. I decided to try carrying it to see if I would have occasion to use it. I don't "work in the elements." I'm a healthcare professional. But, sure enough, I began to reach for it... often to open packages. And, then other things. My knife even saved me from having to call a tow truck once, and I was able to drive my car home. So, I was bitten by the Spyderco bug. Now I own over 50 Spydies. I've got a Matriarch on the way as I type. I just love them. I don't use a knife OFTEN. But, it's more often than I would have thought. And, I'm always glad I've got one.

Today, I was doing a portrait photoshoot related to my work. We were outside and using a tree as a prop / scenery. There was a small branch (~1/4 - 3/8") sticking out of the side of the trunk of the tree right where I wanted her to stand. Almost reflexively, I reached for my Spyderco and the branch was gone and out of the way! Snick. Thwack! Click. Done and done! :)

Now I also carry a Swiss Army Knife (mainly for the other tools - screwdrivers, scissors, etc.), which also comes in handy. The SAK resides loose in my pocket with my keys and a small flashlight. The Spyderco is clipped in the same pocket.

Spyderco is the "Baskin Robbins" of the knife world... many, many flavors. They've found that sweet spot of quality and affordability. Then they wrapped their products and brand in a virtual community / cult following that does all their marketing for them. Brilliant. Just brilliant.

And, so I've been sucked into the vortex of Spyderco. I don't go anywhere without my knife.
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

I like tools, I like knives. Work in an office so daily carry is usually something small (DFly, GB Air, Kopa) but they get used regularily for office tasks. Outside of work I always carry a pocket knife, have been since I was a little kid.

I have even converted a few non knife people when they realized how useful a tool the knife really is.
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

I admit I rarely use the knives I carry. But when I do need them, I'm glad I've got one on me.
"The World is insane, with small pockets of sanity here & there. Not the other way around."

:spyder:-John Cleese- :spyder:
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I do not remember the last time I went a full day without using a knife.

That said, I carry a variety of different knives because I like them. Almost any knife would work for many of my tasks, and the knife I've been carrying lately (Manix 2) is overkill for those things--opening packages, disposing of boxes, etc.

I also carry my Tasman Salt SE all the time because I've really needed it 2 times in the last 6 months in the course of my work. Once when I had to cut a tangled, wet bunch of dacron lines off a guy's leg in 37 degree water, and once when I had to clear a snagged sling while hanging on rappel.

99% of the time I just need "any old knife" though. So carrying the Manix 2 is really just because I like it. :)
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Sequimite wrote:The distinction I would make is:

I carry a knife because I have a use for it almost every day.

I carry the 2nd or third knife and own many dozens because I like knives.
Exactly this. Except I use all the "other tools" on my Super Tinker while most of the cutting I do happens with either a Delica or a PM2.
armstrong1720

Carry knife to work ?

Post by armstrong1720 »

macatac wrote:Funny, or sad, thing recently happened. I have carried a knife for the past 10 years or so, nearly every day. I like to have it, and do find uses many days. So a guy at work gets cut using a knife (wrong tool for the job in this case) and now we have a cutting tool policy. I can basically use one at lunch to cut some steak or whatever, but for any "work" related task, open blades are now illegal. As an interesting side note, one of the managers that pushed the policy was from across the "pond." He could not understand any use for a knife, other than food prep. Just another day at the job. :rolleyes:

Macatac
are you serious ? I never heard of not carrying a knife to work. In this area of TEXAS its pretty much expected i know women even old old old grannies that carry knives to town and church lol
PMBohol

Post by PMBohol »

macatac wrote:Funny, or sad, thing recently happened. I have carried a knife for the past 10 years or so, nearly every day. I like to have it, and do find uses many days. So a guy at work gets cut using a knife (wrong tool for the job in this case) and now we have a cutting tool policy. I can basically use one at lunch to cut some steak or whatever, but for any "work" related task, open blades are now illegal. As an interesting side note, one of the managers that pushed the policy was from across the "pond." He could not understand any use for a knife, other than food prep. Just another day at the job. :rolleyes:

Macatac
I had a job with the same situation. Improvise, adapt, and overcome. One of those pry bars might be usefull, especially if it has a sharp chisel point. I saw someone use a small cheap standard screwdriver that he had sharpened the head. Opened boxes quite well. There are some small tools from Leatherman and Gerber that might fly under the radar.

One persons accident should not ruin it for everyone but it seems some managers like to power trip the employees.
M1009 Man

Post by M1009 Man »

Always have one on me whenever I go somewhere. Never know when ya might need a knife
Obsessed with guns, trucks, and spydercos

S&W MP .45acp

:spyder:Manix 2 XL
:spyder:Delica Sabre Grind
:spyder:Endura FFG

And my baby, a 1985 chevy M1009 :D