Do you carry a knife just because you like knives?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jsveiga

Post by jsveiga »

The people who used rocks to crack nuts open, then fire, spears, and flint rock knives loved tools. We got our genes from these tool loving people, because uncle Ooog who didn't like tools did not get married.

A Spyderco knife is a beautiful, well engineered, high tech tool. How can we not to love them? It's even a cruel torture to take advantage of this primal instinct and keep releasing better and better knives.

Seriously, few here NEED an exotic alloy with super edge-retention powers, or more than 3 knives. Nobody died for the lack of S30V or ZDP-189 before they were created, but now we NEED to have them, because they are better tools.

We just love having them. We love knowing we are "ready" - to cut the red wire of the Armageddon bomb, or to open a milk carton - it doesn't matter; we don't need to walk to the drawer over there and find a pair of scissors, because we have a super sharp knife in our pockets and we can open it one-handed. We have the best tool, and we're ready.

So yeah, I carry a Spyderco everyday basically because I love it. I don't need to carry a knife to my job (we have scissors, utility knives, wire tools, cutting pliers, etc. available). When I leave home I have no planned use for it, but I love finding any excuse for using it. Today I used it to slice an apple I had for dessert at work - and I don't even like apples.
polyhexamethyl

Post by polyhexamethyl »

jsveiga wrote:The people who used rocks to crack nuts open, then fire, spears, and flint rock knives loved tools. We got our genes from these tool loving people, because uncle Ooog who didn't like tools did not get married.

A Spyderco knife is a beautiful, well engineered, high tech tool. How can we not to love them? It's even a cruel torture to take advantage of this primal instinct and keep releasing better and better knives.

Seriously, few here NEED an exotic alloy with super edge-retention powers, or more than 3 knives. Nobody died for the lack of S30V or ZDP-189 before they were created, but now we NEED to have them, because they are better tools.

We just love having them. We love knowing we are "ready" - to cut the red wire of the Armageddon bomb, or to open a milk carton - it doesn't matter; we don't need to walk to the drawer over there and find a pair of scissors, because we have a super sharp knife in our pockets and we can open it one-handed. We have the best tool, and we're ready.

So yeah, I carry a Spyderco everyday basically because I love it. I don't need to carry a knife to my job (we have scissors, utility knives, wire tools, cutting pliers, etc. available). When I leave home I have no planned use for it, but I love finding any excuse for using it. Today I used it to slice an apple I had for dessert at work - and I don't even like apples.

this Sir, was beautiful!
thank you!
i don't like Apples either :)
aogami super blue dragonfly!
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Evil D wrote:Partly because I like them, partly out of tradition, partly out of necessity, partly out of habit. More than anything though, because it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
This. One of my father's most-issued pieces of advice, as applicable to a knife as it is a sweater.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

My answer is yes and no.

I carry a knife because it is useful, did so even before I got into knives.

Now I find myself carrying one when I throw out the garbage or doing laundry at the laundrymat among other tasks... Bare minimum when I leave the door is keys AND a knife. Because I like knives.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy
Kihlo7

Post by Kihlo7 »

I myself use and just like knives, but i have a hard time using knives like my Para 2 because of the cost. I want to use it but i don't want it to get scratched lol.
armstrong1720

Post by armstrong1720 »

I never knew anyone that didn carry everyday until i met my father in law. Being raised on dairy and farm i started carryin really young. Raised to lay knife down as much as possiable when sharpin to get a razor edge to cut calves and heifers ears to mark them and cutt bull balls. Now running trucks i really have to have one on me. My wife had me fly to minnasota with her to meet her family. No knives on plane. I almost didn go because i couldn carry my spyderco.i will not when walk outside with out a spydie. I even carry one when walkin around the house in my underwear. Spydies clip to underwear great !
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

armstrong1720 wrote:Spydies clip to underwear great !
THIS!

In all seriousness, I hear you and have done this. They leave ugly marks on your skin when you fall asleep on them while watching TV
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I use a knife as the need for one arises. I carry a knife--and have for more than half a century--because I can't predict when and where that need might arise (it seems to arise daily). I like the options a knife bestows, and I love how Spyderco has been broadening my options.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
armstrong1720

Underwear

Post by armstrong1720 »

xceptnl wrote:THIS!

In all seriousness, I hear you and have done this. They leave ugly marks on your skin when you fall asleep on them while watching TV
Yeah i know !! And the endura is kinda heavy for underwear !!!! Especially the police with stainless handles
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

armstrong1720 wrote:Yeah i know !! And the endura is kinda heavy for underwear !!!! Especially the police with stainless handles
Seriously too heavy. I generally have something under 4oz. The Military is the largest I would carry, but typically for me it is the Caly Jr. or Dragonfly.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
armstrong1720

Post by armstrong1720 »

For me i usually carry a tenacious half serrated. A delica is perfect not to heavy Yeah my wife says go get dressed ! I am im in a t shirt ,underwear with spydie clipped on and iphone in hand ready to go !!
armstrong1720

Post by armstrong1720 »

I forgot i got my boots and hat on to ! The orange little rescue is also light enough.
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Agreed with all of the previous replies :) However I'm always a sucker for feeling what a very sharp edge can do :D
Attachments
airurbanbreeden.jpg
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
johnnygomer

Post by johnnygomer »

I carry a knife most everywhere I go (expect to bed, but then I have one on my nightstand). I try to find uses for it as much as I can because I not only like carrying it, I like using it. Nothing much cooler than cutting stuff with a sharp knife! :cool:
The truth be told, though, I could probably could do without it on most occasions. But you know what they say, "Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it!" :D
johnnygomer

Post by johnnygomer »

dbcad wrote:...However I'm always a sucker for feeling what a very sharp edge can do :D
Yeah buddy!!! I second that! :D
armstrong1720

?

Post by armstrong1720 »

dbcad wrote:Agreed with all of the previous replies :) However I'm always a sucker for feeling what a very sharp edge can do :D
The knife with the TEXAS symbol is it custom ??
johnnygomer

Post by johnnygomer »

jsveiga wrote:The people who used rocks to crack nuts open, then fire, spears, and flint rock knives loved tools. We got our genes from these tool loving people, because uncle Ooog who didn't like tools did not get married.

I agree! Well said!

People often ask me similar questions about my guns. Why have so many? Truth is, like knives, different guns are made for different purposes. My question is why ONLY have one?
GronK

Post by GronK »

armstrong1720 wrote:Yeah i know !! And the endura is kinda heavy for underwear !!!! Especially the police with stainless handles
You got a Endura in your shorts or are you just happy to see me?
Think Twice, Post Once!
GronK
GreatSyxsuke

Post by GreatSyxsuke »

I have carried a knife for years. I started because my dad always had an old, beat-up two-blade knife on him and I, like many sons, wanted to emulate my dad. My first knife was a Kershaw Scallion, used it to open boxes at work. I have owned many craptastic knives, but I always feel better with a blade than without, regardless of whether I need it or not. I love knives and wish mo
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

armstrong1720 wrote:The knife with the TEXAS symbol is it custom ??
That is the Spyderco Air: http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=772

The Texas symbol is Gayle Bradley's logo, and is also found on his other collaboration with Spyderco: http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=445
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com