new guy and my spyderco collection

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ginsuwarrior

new guy and my spyderco collection

Post by ginsuwarrior »

Hello good people of the Spyderco forum.

Allow me to introduce myself and my knives.

I'm not really a huge folding knife guy, but when I started looking around, Spyderco seemed to be capturing the essence of what I wanted. I cut things every day, usually it involves string and rope, sometimes plastic and paper bags. Other times vegetable matter, and animal parts. I'm not a knife snob, but I do appreciate quality steel, and well made tools.

Delica got the most pocket time for EDC until I just got the Tasman. I love that knife, and I'm not usually a serrated type of guy, but the Spydie edge gets it done and done well. And coupled with the hawkbill it was made for cutting rope well.

I like the blade style and handle on the Stretch, but I have not connected deeply with it yet. To get the knife to open well, the pivot loosens to a point where the blade play is unacceptable. I disassembled and polished blade (I will try to not have to do that again, took me a while to reassemble). Still not doing it for me though.

I'm' still getting to know Endura, seems like a nice blade.

The Military is perfection to me. Perfect balance, excellent blade length, and handle size. Solid lock up with generous amount of steel being held in the handle. If I could only have one, out of what I own it would be it. In fact, I would like every Spyderco I own from now own to have the spirit of the Military.

I've handled the PM2 and was impressed but the cutting edge to handle ratio seemed a little off. Maybe I was having an off day, and I do plan to get one when they become available for a decent price again.

To conclude, I would love to have an enlarged Tasman blade placed into a Military handle, and I would conquer the world one cut at a time!!!

Best Regards,
Ginsuwarrior

p.s. Just got the Ladybug salt hawkbill serrated edge, NICE!
Kihlo7

Post by Kihlo7 »

Welcome to the forum! and very nice knives!
Holland

Post by Holland »

welcome to the forums! love all the character on your blades!
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
BadFish

Post by BadFish »

+1 for Tasman. Nice collection.

~~~~ USn Catcherman ~~~~ Tasman Se ~~~~ Centofante 3 ~~~~ UKPK blue SE ~~~~ Goddard OD Sprint Pe ~~~~ Ambitious Pe blue~~~~ Zdp Ladybug ~~~~ Manix 2 lwt Pe ~~~~ Delica orange Pe ~~~~ Swick 3 fb ~~~~ Native brown xhp ~~~~ Persian 2 ~~~~ Tenacious green ps ~~~~ Drangonfly Sb ~~~~
Clip

Post by Clip »

Welcome! When members join here their selections tend to grow rather quickly.
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
vaisforlovers

Post by vaisforlovers »

Welcome ginsuwarrior!

I wish you the same experience I've had here. The folks here are generally patient, always knowledgeable, and at times very funny. With your collection, you should fit right in. Great intro and once again, Welcome!

James
"The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stewart Mill
neocacher

Post by neocacher »

Welcome to the forum! Spyderco's can certainly become an addiction!
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Welcome to the forums and thanks for sharing your already well rounded collection. I think you are going to need some more G-10 in your diet.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Welcome.. And cool knives too!! John :)
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
mikeh99

Post by mikeh99 »

Welcome. But be careful of the forum addiction. It seem like it already may be too late. Enjoy!
Mike
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

ginsuwarrior wrote:Hello good people of the Spyderco forum.

Allow me to introduce myself and my knives.

To conclude, I would love to have an enlarged Tasman blade placed into a Military handle, and I would conquer the world one cut at a time!!!

Best Regards,
Ginsuwarrior

p.s. Just got the Ladybug salt hawkbill serrated edge, NICE!
Welcome to the forums! Nice start to your collection. You mentioned a hawkbill in a military's handle. maybe the superhawk will fit the bill. They still occasionally pop up in the various exchanges.

endgame

Post by endgame »

The itch is starting.sweat beading on you're brow.I need more more I tell you.you are allready hooked.great start by the way
BigBill5953

Post by BigBill5953 »

Spyderco definitely does serrated blades right! Welcome! :)
-Billy

Centofante 3|Brown FFG Delica 4|Persistence|Sharpmaker & UF rods|SS Kiwi|Manbug SE|Blue UKPK SE Leaf|Calypso Jr. FRN|Blue Dodo SE|Centofante 3|Grasshopper|Tan Ladybug Salt|Rookie Sprint|

bammann45 wrote:In Los Angeles we have roaming packs of carnivorous tortoises. I am glad we finally have a folder that can punch through their shells.
ginsuwarrior

Post by ginsuwarrior »

Thanks for the welcome...yes researching my next purchase. Many models to choose from. My 10 year old son is getting into spyderco too, he's got a Endura and a Resiliance. I'll probably stay in the sub $100 for the time being.