Any chance for a change in G10 pattern?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Any chance for a change in G10 pattern?

Post by Evil D »

I'm sure the first argument against this will be that rougher G10 is rougher on pockets, but that can easily be solved with adjusted clip tension.

I have a Kershaw Leek G10, and I'm really envious of the G10 on this knife. It's SO much more grippy than the standard Spyderco G10, and I haven't found it to be any more rough on pockets. The texture in the G10 is similar to the weave of carbon fiber, which is really cool and in light it reflects light in the same way that carbon fiber does. I believe the two types of G10 have the exact same pattern, it's just that the pattern on the Kershaw is much larger in size than what Spyderco uses. I would love to see this pattern on some Spyderco knives.

Here's the best close up I could find of Spyderco's pattern

I'd also love to see more of the fluted G10 that was used on the LionSpy...that stuff is pure sexy looking.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
paladin

Post by paladin »

I would L-O-V-E to see some different textures on the G10 scales-not only the mircrotexturing as you referenced Evil, but the macro texturing, like the ZULU's pattern...I think they would be H-U-G-E sellers for the Spydercrew...I would it imagine it comes down to labor, CNC, hardware, software, storage, etc. Maybe Sal's already run the numbers and decided it's not the best use of his resources...at any rate, I hope he sees fit to expand his offering along the lines of different G10 texturning/patterns...good topic!
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

I do like the 3D machining on my ZT 301.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't those patterns in the G10 a sort of peel ply pattern? I don't know much about how G10 is manufactured. When Spyderco G10 is brand new it has excellent grip, but a few months of constant carry and the edges are usually polished smooth and most of the grip is lost. For me ergonomics are more important for a secure grip, so the G10 pattern is as much for aesthetics as performance, but both would be improved IMO.
~David
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:I do like the 3D machining on my ZT 301.
I just saw one of these used at the knife shop the other day, the previous owner hand sanded and polished the texture out so the scales looked like Vallotton scales. It was SEXY. It changed the whole look of the knife.
~David
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I certainly do not need rougher than it already is G10 on my knives. I rather prefer smooth. Patterns are nice. I love G10 on my ZT561. All my spydies, which I carry has an excellent ergos and I never felt that grip in not sufficient even on micarta Persian or knives with wood scales. But G10 on my Caly3.5 killed my jeans and adjusting clip didn't help. I carried the knife in the back pocket and G10 made a hole in the middle of the pocket from friction with the edge of scale opposite to clip.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

Spyderco used a different texture G-10 on one of the Manix2 sprint runs a while back. In terms of grip, it was sort of in-between the Kershaw Leek posted above and the standard G-10 that Spyderco uses. In my opinion, Spyderco should switch to that and use it as their standard G-10. The G-10 Spyderco uses seems to lose its grip over time.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Evil D wrote:I just saw one of these used at the knife shop the other day, the previous owner hand sanded and polished the texture out so the scales looked like Vallotton scales. It was SEXY. It changed the whole look of the knife.
That's a look I'd like to see more of!
bh49 wrote:I certainly do not need rougher than it already is G10 on my knives. I rather prefer smooth.
Bingo, Roman. My preferences as well.

Ken
玉鋼
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

kbuzbee wrote:That's a look I'd like to see more of!

Bingo, Roman. My preferences as well.

Ken
In the same way I would also agree and like to see more polished G10, but NOT on a flat scale like is typically used. It would have to be a rounded/contoured scale for it to look right IMO. If the Para 2's scales were contoured like the Vallotton or a ZT's scales, then polishing them would be pretty awesome too. I guess I'm just bored with every G10 scale having the exact same finish. ANY kind of variety would be a welcome change. At least with the old FRN patterns they changed from time to time.
~David
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Evil D wrote:In the same way I would also agree and like to see more polished G10, but NOT on a flat scale like is typically used. It would have to be a rounded/contoured scale for it to look right IMO. If the Para 2's scales were contoured like the Vallotton or a ZT's scales, then polishing them would be pretty awesome too. I guess I'm just bored with every G10 scale having the exact same finish. ANY kind of variety would be a welcome change. At least with the old FRN patterns they changed from time to time.
I would LOVE them all to be 3D contoured. But even flat I like smooth.

Hey, the forum knife is chain link, does that count? ;)

Ken
玉鋼
Donut

Post by Donut »

I don't think it works for Spyderco models with two sides of G-10. I have a couple HEST folders and it has sharp, very coarse G-10, but the side with the clip is smooth titanium, it works.

The bumpy G-10 and titanium on the Lionspy is nice and comfy.

The coarse textured G-10 on the CTS-BD30P Manix is kind of nice, but it's not as sharp. The ups and downs are bigger, but the edges are slightly rounded off.

I don't mind the Anso texture (PPT and Zulu) with the smooth spot where the clip lands.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Donut

Post by Donut »

Also, in the specs for the Blue Para, wasn't it supposed to have coarse G-10? That G-10 feels a lot like the normal G-10 to me.

For reference, here is a thread I made with macro shots of the BD30P Manix and one of my HEST Folders.

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... x-2-Sprint
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

Yeah the black manix2 bd30p sprint had a more aggressive texture. I liked it when I had it.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

The blue M390 Para2 exclusive had roughly (pardon the pun) the same texture, and I think that works extremely well.
Holland

Post by Holland »

id love to see more of the lionspy style of g10, but i have never thought of the current style of g10 as a problem
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I don't like G-10 to be too rough. No Cold Steel textures please. I find peel ply G-10 to be just about right, and preferable to the corrugated Zulu style. But, I'd be interested to try some different textures too. I'm looking forward to trying the fluted CF, and the forum knife.
:bug-red-white
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

The new green 204P Para2 has a slightly different peel ply texture. The texture is finer and has a little more relief than recent G10. It gives the Para a very interesting tactile feel. Almost like an extremely fine cabinet maker's file.

Not sure whether I like it yet...

I'll see if I can get some comparison pics tomorrow. You can see it on some of the recent 204P picture threads...

TedP
JudasD

Post by JudasD »

I love G10, but i do agree that peel-ply does get a bit boring. The Zulu and PPT have a sweet pattern in the G10. Even the Lionspy has a pretty cool pattern. Yes, i vote for pattern variance across the board :)

JD
bpeezer

Post by bpeezer »

Get some G10 and make your own handles, it's easier than it looks and gives your knife a unique character :)

Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

The texture and / or pattern of my green Para2 isn't any different than my other Para's, in looks or feel. Perhaps mine is from a different batch or something.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>