STR clip for a Paramilitary 2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
shaolinbill

STR clip for a Paramilitary 2

Post by shaolinbill »

Does anyone have an opinion on the STR [Steve Rice] low ride clip for the PM2?

And, how do I get one? I found [probably old] email address for STR Backyard KnifeWorks but got no response.

I did see a price of $30 + $7 shipping - but no order info.

Does any online store carry them?

I'd be interested in hearing anyone's opinion on other PM2 clip options.

Thanks.
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

The STR is a nice clip and I like it a lot. I have no complaints with it. I have one that I usually put on whatever knife I'm carrying the most at the moment and I'll probably get a couple more as soon as I get some extra cash. This link should have all the order info you need: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... structions

I made a foldover clip from one of the stock spyderco clips and after going through that process I can appreciate the skill Steve brings to the table and how nice and clean his clips are. I completely ruined one clip and had to spend a LOT of time cleaning up the mess I made of the 2nd clip. Turned out OK but was a huge pain in the tuckus.

Untitled by senorsquare, on Flickr
arjay18

Post by arjay18 »

I have some clips from Steve but it got expensive fast so I found an alternative. It's not as pretty and you have to mod the holes a bit but $30+S&H vs. $7.42+S&H is a big difference.

Sorry I don't have an STR clip on any of my Para2s but here is a comparison. STR clip on the Delica, USAknifemaker clip on the Para2.

Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

senorsquare wrote:The STR is a nice clip and I like it a lot. I have no complaints with it. I have one that I usually put on whatever knife I'm carrying the most at the moment and I'll probably get a couple more as soon as I get some extra cash. This link should have all the order info you need: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... structions

I made a foldover clip from one of the stock spyderco clips and after going through that process I can appreciate the skill Steve brings to the table and how nice and clean his clips are. I completely ruined one clip and had to spend a LOT of time cleaning up the mess I made of the 2nd clip. Turned out OK but was a huge pain in the tuckus.

Untitled by senorsquare, on Flickr
Senorsquare, this is the first I have seen of someone folding a stock hourglass clip to make a deep ride clip. Now that you worked out the kinks in your process, how does it work for you? I'm particularly interested in how hand comfort during use compares with the same knife sporting the stock hourglass clip. -Bill
TekNyc

Post by TekNyc »

I like my str clips on my Para 2 but mine is top down carry.
I believe when it is tip up carry the bottom lip of the clip digs into the hand while holding the handle. I'm having that problem now with my Southard. I am looking for an alternative right now. Seems like there is no custom clip makers out there selling deep carry but str. Not sure if he is still making them either.
Holland

Post by Holland »

I have one on my para 1 D2 and the quality is great! highly recommend him. Wish he would offer his services to Canada, i would probably own one for every para i have haha
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Holland

Post by Holland »

-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

Bill1170 wrote:Senorsquare, this is the first I have seen of someone folding a stock hourglass clip to make a deep ride clip. Now that you worked out the kinks in your process, how does it work for you? I'm particularly interested in how hand comfort during use compares with the same knife sporting the stock hourglass clip. -Bill
The bent spyderco clip works just fine, and keeps the knife in the pocket. I guess the hand comfort is about the same. I really don't notice it to be honest.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

senorsquare wrote:The bent spyderco clip works just fine, and keeps the knife in the pocket. I guess the hand comfort is about the same. I really don't notice it to be honest.
Thank you. I have some extras and might try imitating what you did someday. The hourglass clips work very well for me, so this could be a fun project, just for kicks.
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

Bill1170 wrote:Thank you. I have some extras and might try imitating what you did someday. The hourglass clips work very well for me, so this could be a fun project, just for kicks.
Right on. Just heat and bend until you get it where you like it. After I bent it I took a dremel with a grinding bit to the sides to make it easier to access the screws and then cleaned that up with a file and sandpaper. I also sanded the face of the clip to remove the heat discoloration. It was a fun little project, let us know how yours turn out.
arjay18

Post by arjay18 »

TekNyc wrote:I like my str clips on my Para 2 but mine is top down carry.
I believe when it is tip up carry the bottom lip of the clip digs into the hand while holding the handle. I'm having that problem now with my Southard. I am looking for an alternative right now. Seems like there is no custom clip makers out there selling deep carry but str. Not sure if he is still making them either.
I think I saw someone post a Southard sporting a deep carry clip, I'm not sure it STR made them. It doesn't hurt to ask him.
Holland wrote:I have one on my para 1 D2 and the quality is great! highly recommend him. Wish he would offer his services to Canada, i would probably own one for every para i have haha
STR does cater to international customers, I had 4 made and shipped over to the Philippines. It's probably going to cost you $400 to equip all your paras. haha! :D
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

arjay18 wrote:I have some clips from Steve but it got expensive fast so I found an alternative. It's not as pretty and you have to mod the holes a bit but $30+S&H vs. $7.42+S&H is a big difference.

Sorry I don't have an STR clip on any of my Para2s but here is a comparison. STR clip on the Delica, USAknifemaker clip on the Para2.

I don't like the length of the clip on your blue para, but at $7 a pop it might be fun to get a couple and play around with grinding and re-bending them. Hmm... :rolleyes:

Did the hole spacing work with your PM2 out of the box, or did you have to make any adjustments to the clip to attach it?
arjay18

Post by arjay18 »

senorsquare wrote:I don't like the length of the clip on your blue para, but at $7 a pop it might be fun to get a couple and play around with grinding and re-bending them. Hmm... :rolleyes:

Did the hole spacing work with your PM2 out of the box, or did you have to make any adjustments to the clip to attach it?
They sell clip "blanks" if you want to make them yourself, they are cheaper too. I actually like the length since it helps keep the knife in place when I wear loose pants.

I had to widen the holes a bit to make it fit. A couple of minutes with a dremel is all it took.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

senorsquare wrote:Right on. Just heat and bend until you get it where you like it. After I bent it I took a dremel with a grinding bit to the sides to make it easier to access the screws and then cleaned that up with a file and sandpaper. I also sanded the face of the clip to remove the heat discoloration. It was a fun little project, let us know how yours turn out.
Do you heat to bend hot or to anneal and then bend cold? Do you heat it cherry red? Does the springiness survive the heating?
Phantazm

Post by Phantazm »

Here's a question for all you low ride clip users. Do you really enjoy it that much better? I carry mine tip down, and I really like to be able to grab the part of the handle that is sticking out of the pocket, as opposed digging in the pocket and pulling the knife out. Does it really conceal that much better?
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

I used to worry about how deep a clip rides but now I really don't care anymore if my pocket knife is visible to others. Either way for me is fine.

With that being said, I like how the STR clips look on the Para2. I want one for my Southard.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

Bill1170 wrote:Do you heat to bend hot or to anneal and then bend cold? Do you heat it cherry red? Does the springiness survive the heating?
I bend it hot. Tried to bend one cold and snapped it in two, so now I use the torch. There is nothing scientific about my process, I saw a guy on youtube heating and bending some clips or prybars or something and figured I could do that myself. I heat it til it's glowing, make a bend, heat some more, make another bend, and so on. I'd say the springiness survived but YMMV.

Phantazm wrote:Here's a question for all you low ride clip users. Do you really enjoy it that much better? I carry mine tip down, and I really like to be able to grab the part of the handle that is sticking out of the pocket, as opposed digging in the pocket and pulling the knife out. Does it really conceal that much better?
One reason I like the lowriders is because I sometimes have other things in my pockets. I like to carry my knife and my phone in my RFP and I have more room to get my hand in and out of the pocket when the knife is riding lower.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Steve's clips are really good quality and well-made from titanium. I've got several of his, on a Para2, Gayle Bradley, and a Stretch.

The only downside (other than cost) is that he can't anodize them very dark, so they aren't exactly stealthy.

TedP
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

phillipsted wrote:Steve's clips are really good quality and well-made from titanium. I've got several of his, on a Para2, Gayle Bradley, and a Stretch.

The only downside (other than cost) is that he can't anodize them very dark, so they aren't exactly stealthy.

TedP
This is true. IMO the wire clip is the best option if stealth is what you're after.
hiredgun

Post by hiredgun »

I'll vouch for Steve's work. He's great to work with and he's made a couple of clips for me. One for my Para2 and one for my Chokwe. They really conceal well, but that is not very important to me. I'm mainly interested in having a titanium clip in the color I want.
You can't display a toad in a fine restaurant like this! Why, the good folks here would go right off the feed!