Delica 4 ZDP189

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
neocacher

Delica 4 ZDP189

Post by neocacher »

Does anyone love this knife as much as I do? What a great size for EDC and mine is smooth. I just love the color of the ZDP FRN handle! Just got mine in the mail today at a great price. Wish I would have had one sooner.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I love everything about the Delica except for the shape of the bottom of the handle...it doesn't fit my hand well at all. Otherwise I love the size/blade shape/weight.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
gdwtvb

Post by gdwtvb »

Been carrying one for a couple years now. I switch off between it and my sage 2. Awesome blade.

Grizz
endgame

Post by endgame »

I have both sprint run Damascus the blue and red and carry them when I dress up.I love the ergos on it.just waiting for a Damascus dragonfly now.the delica cuts like a dream and fits my hands perfectly.have to get a frn zdp versoion now thanks.
JoeKansas

Post by JoeKansas »

Yes!!!!! I bought mine in July of last year after I saw a Youtube video of an online knife dealer that was carrying 2 zdp189 enduras as his edc. He had to do some destructive cutting with one when he forgot to take a beater knife along for the trip. He was resigned to the fact that the knife would be ruined and that he would just grab another one off the shelf when he got back. It turned out it held up to the abuse. It impressed me that of all the knives he stocked he chose to carry 2 zdp Enduras. I like the way the steel holds a hair popping edge for so long. In the last 10 months the Delica zdp189 has been my main edc blade. Joe
endgame

Post by endgame »

What other knives besides the delica endura and dragonfly have the zdp 189 steel on them
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

endgame wrote:What other knives besides the delica endura and dragonfly have the zdp 189 steel on them
Here: http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/list.php?blade=ZDP-189

Stretch, manbug, ladybug and Caly 3 & 3.5
noseoil

Post by noseoil »

Yep, my ZDP Delica is just right for my hand size. It does stay sharp and can be a real challenge to sharpen until you have a bit of practice with it, but it's well worth the effort. Probably my favorite EDC as far as size shape, weight & comfort go. I have different knives, but this one gets the most pocket time. Evil, check out Boomer52's mod to the scales he's making, might be just the ticket for you.
JB3

Post by JB3 »

Mine is in my pocket as I type. It gets a lot of use. It's light and sturdy with a great steel.
I like the foliage green FRN, and Delicas in general, are my favorite sized folder.
For me, that's a lot of positives!
mrphotoman

Post by mrphotoman »

I have the same knife and it is my favorite as well. light, thin, really sharp and it has a pocket clip
ZL1

Post by ZL1 »

I've been thinking about getting a knife with ZDP-189 or Cpm-M4
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Try a ZDP Stretch! The delica isn't mine yet, but it will be.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
mineralman55

Post by mineralman55 »

I really like the size and feel of my Delica 4, although it's VG-10. It's about a perfect EDC. Only problem is I cannot seem to get a particularly sharp edge on it, even with the SharpMaker. Any suggestions.
noseoil

Post by noseoil »

Start over! Do the magic marker trick, use the 30 degree setting first to make sure you have a correct profile. Use the 40 degree setting gently & carefully to bring up (reveal) the edge & you're done.
ASmitty

Post by ASmitty »

mineralman55 wrote:I really like the size and feel of my Delica 4, although it's VG-10. It's about a perfect EDC. Only problem is I cannot seem to get a particularly sharp edge on it, even with the SharpMaker. Any suggestions.
Just keep working at it. Mine gets extremely sharp off of my crock sticks.

I've carried my D4 almost daily since it came out in 2006. I carried a D3 almost daily before that. My relationship with the Delica goes back a long way. I own every generation's regular production model(s) in plain edge. I also own the FFG ZDP version and the FFG VG-10 with grey handles. I'm working on building a collection of the limited production models as well. Due to some recent decision making about my collecting habits, I'm building collections of both Delicas and Kershaw Skylines for display in my home as they are my two all time favorite knife models. My Delica collecting is off to a slower start than the Skylines, but now that I'm down to just 3-4 much rarer Skylines to find, I'm focusing most of my energy on the Delicas. In my mind, I think of my Delica collection as being called "Evolution of a Flagship" as I consider the Delica and Endura to really be Spyderco's flagship models with the Delica having more widespread appeal due to its more universal size appeal. In the last several years, the only time the Delica hasn't been close at hand is the handful of times I've had to travel for work. I usually only take a carry-on bag for work travel.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a danish."

Quietly lurking the Spyderco forum since 2003...
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

noseoil wrote:Yep, my ZDP Delica is just right for my hand size. It does stay sharp and can be a real challenge to sharpen until you have a bit of practice with it, but it's well worth the effort. Probably my favorite EDC as far as size shape, weight & comfort go. I have different knives, but this one gets the most pocket time. Evil, check out Boomer52's mod to the scales he's making, might be just the ticket for you.
Close but no dice. My problem is with the front finger scoop where your index/middle finger go...it's too small for my hands. If I ever find a G10 version for cheap I'm gonna make my own scales and fix the problem myself.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Donut

Post by Donut »

I just traded away a G-10 Delica. =\
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
BAL

Post by BAL »

The Delica is a good knife, but doesn't fit my hand as well as many others. I like the feel of
the Endura much better. I have several Delica's and only use them as rough work knives
for scaping gaskets or tough work that I don't want to mess up a better knife, so it's funny
how everyone has their favorites.
To me having a super steel on a Delica seems like overkill considering the price differences.
I guess if I liked the feel better it would work for me.
donutsrule

Post by donutsrule »

My saber ground ZDP Delica is my beater knife around the house, yard, and when I have heavy duty tasks like going to the local coal forge (great for opening 50# sacks of coal).
It is also teaching me sharpening, reprofiling and patience in trying to create an even primary bevel from plunge to tip, as the person at the factory who should have done that may have been asleep at the wheel.
It's a good knife. :)
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I have liked everything about the ZDP knives and they have just gotten better since going FFG. A true high performance sports model.

Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"