Chaparral FRN????

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
calebj06

Re: Chaparral FRN????

Post by calebj06 »

This thread really has my attention. I've been researching this knife for a while and I love the CF version but the cost is just too much for being a user! I do however plan to get one for a dress knife. It's perfect.

I also find this tread really cool since sal keeps everyone updated on what's going on and takes input on design ideas.

Hope to hear more about it. This is on the buy lost for sure.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Hi Caleb! Glad to see you made it over here from BF.

The Chaparral is an excellent smaller knife and is well worth the cost. These come up for sale on the BF Exchange from time to time. You can get a pretty good deal on one if you keep your eyes peeled.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Holland

Post by Holland »

Any updates on this?!?
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Can't remember the thread but I said I couldn't wait for a frn chap to drop and Sal said he couldnt either
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
T_MAC686

Post by T_MAC686 »

Long time watcher of these threads- just joined up so I could post and I think this idea of a FRN chap would be awesome! I think it would look nice in a dark blue or burgundy color
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

You make a great point. I really hope it isn't black frn although it probably will be. I'll buy one either way though.

We haven't heard anything about the color, have we?
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Nothing on the color that i can recall. I wonder what pattern frn taichung will produce. Italy does a great job with their frn and so does japan. Different patterns but i love them both.
Spydergirl88
T_MAC686

Post by T_MAC686 »

I didn't even think about taichung having a different FRN texture.. I like the bidirectional grip on my delica and I also like the subtle checkering on my urban lightweight. I think the bidirectional would be overkill grip for a gentleman's style folder like the chap though. I really hope it comes in a color, but black always looks slick too
Donut

Post by Donut »

I would be happy with some flat G-10 or FRN. We already have the Chaparral 1 with a wavy G-10 underlay, maybe something along those lines? I'm not sure how it looks without the CF.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
T_MAC686

Post by T_MAC686 »

Well based off the pics uploaded by blade forums Facebook page its black FRN but the picture is too blurry on my computer to tell the pattern.. eagerly waiting for the first videos to be uploaded!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

T_MAC686 wrote:Well based off the pics uploaded by blade forums Facebook page its black FRN but the picture is too blurry on my computer to tell the pattern.. eagerly waiting for the first videos to be uploaded!
The color doesn't really surprise me but I was really hoping for something with some color. I already have a CF Chap and like everything about it. Now I'm not so sure I'd buy a black FRN version. I guess I'll wait for the price and details and then decide if I actually need one. Saving my lunch money up for the Reffir Noble might be a better choice for me.
T_MAC686

Post by T_MAC686 »

I still think a burgundy or navy blue would look sweet on this knife..
T_MAC686

Post by T_MAC686 »

Anyone have clear photos of the sample from shot show to determine what the FRN pattern is?
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

T_MAC686 wrote:Anyone have clear photos of the sample from shot show to determine what the FRN pattern is?
Not exactly clear but it almost looks like a course knurled/checkered pattern on the show side and a dimpled pattern on the clip side. Could be just the way the light is hitting it.

I carried and used my CF Chap today. Such a capable knife given it's small/thin size. As much as I like my Sages, I think I'd get rid of every one of them before my Chap would go. I know I've said I wasn't keen on the black FRN but I'll probably end up with a FRN Chap at some point.
T_MAC686

Post by T_MAC686 »

Yea I saw that video too- it looks nice but I wish we had a clear photo so we could tell! I wish I had a chap to use but unfortunately I don't have one. Hoping this version could be my first, depending on cost that is... I'm in grad school now so money is a little tight hah
SG89

Post by SG89 »

It will be cheaper than the carbon fiber chap
Spydergirl88
T_MAC686

Post by T_MAC686 »

Yea I figured it would be, I can't wait until there are some more reviews of this knife so I can decide if the chap 1 is worth the extra money or if this knife is everything I would need. Those of you that will have both will have to make recommendations!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

T_MAC686 wrote:Yea I saw that video too- it looks nice but I wish we had a clear photo so we could tell! I wish I had a chap to use but unfortunately I don't have one. Hoping this version could be my first, depending on cost that is... I'm in grad school now so money is a little tight hah
Yeah those pics looked much better on the large screen of laptop. Not so good on my tablet. It looks like the scales should have plenty of texture. Maybe not the same bi-directional texturing used on some other FRN models but decent and fairly good looking too.

As Eric said in the vid (and Spydergirl mentioned) the idea is to make a more affordable version of the Chap. So hopefully it'll be within your budget.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I just watched the video again and it looks like the liners are only exposed on the bottom. Which I guess explains the use of exposed screws on top.

FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

Ok I'm sold. This is gonna be great.