Tasman Salt - How good is it?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
neocacher

Tasman Salt - How good is it?

Post by neocacher »

How popular is the inexpensive hawkbill and is it worth $55 to have a hawkbill. Any alternatives I should consider? Plain or Spydie Edge ? I really don't live near the ocean or a lake, but maybe it would be good to carry if it is raining out or in the garden? What do you think? Thanks
BadFish

Post by BadFish »

Well I must say I love the Tasman in se. This was my goto work knife for ten hours a day until I lost it. I'm at a loss without it now for 5 weeks so I plan to buy another in the coming week. The Tasman went through everything I put it through. It enjoyed a healthy dose of heavy cardboard thick glue rope plastic wrap. The bigger hole made opening with any glove easy as pie. The bright yellow handle made it hard to misplace (it does happen tho :( ). The h1 blade stood up to all chemicals and anything else nasty. All in all this knife was a beast and highly recommend it.

Coulro

Post by Coulro »

My car was broken into last night and my Tasman Salt was in my gym bag which was stolen.

I intend to buy another one soon!

Bladester

Post by Bladester »

I just got a Tasman with serrated edge to use for gardening. Had to take out some dead evergreen ground cover. Really impressed by how well the little knife worked. Pull cuts really effective. Very pleased with mine, although not planning on using it for EDC - more of a special use knife for me.

--Larry
Bladester

Post by Bladester »

Coulro,

Really like the handle treatment on your knife. Sorry about your loss. --Larry
Dodge

Post by Dodge »

I own 5 of them!!! They are really good cutters.

Flash Batch request: Flat Iron Salt (CE w/ yellow FRN)
New knife request: Police 4 Salt!!!

“Don’t be so open minded that your brain falls out”
Coulro

Post by Coulro »

Bladester wrote:Coulro,

Really like the handle treatment on your knife. Sorry about your loss. --Larry
Bladester,
The handle coloring was super easy to do, I just drizzled the handle with glue from a hot glue gun then dropped it in purple dye. After the handle was dyed I peeled the glue off to reveal the pattern. It took less than ten minutes in total and held up to regular carry and use for over a year.

Sucks that my car was broken into but it could have been much worse. At least it's an excuse to buy another Tasman! :D
Tim_McD

Post by Tim_McD »

I have the Tasman with the SE blade and it is the best knife for yardwork I have found. The blade can dig through roots, prune branches and cut anything you need. Plus, it stays sharp and after I clean the sap off the blade - that is it.

It is a great EDC for me, esp since there is almost no maintenance associated with it.
Enkidude

Post by Enkidude »

Lil Matriarch might be another good choice. It has some belly that could prove advantageous for EDC carry.
Don't mess with the Spyder because you think you're fly.
Transcend the illusion.
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

My serrated Tasman is my most often carried Spyderco. I use it for a money clip if I have a few bills.

I am able to get a much better edge on serrated H1 than plain.

Living in a somewhat humid climate I really appreciate never worrying about my Tasman.
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
mrphotoman

Post by mrphotoman »

I rotate mine with my delica4 as an everyday knife. It is cool looking, lightweight and sharp.

mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

I'm waiting for JD Spydo to chime in on this thread. He's the most passionate forum member about the hawkbill.

I have a serrated Spyderhawk and love it. Also have Spyderco's serrated keychain hawkbill (can't remember the model name right now).
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

My PE Tasman is *perfect* for cleaning out all the hair/carpet threads/crap that gets wrapped around my vacuum cleaner roller brush :) (for those rare times I get around to vacuuming LOL). I prefer my larger Spyderhawk SE for garden chores, but since that is discontinued, I bought a Tasman SE as backup for that task. SE Hawkbills are fantastic for clearing out vines from a fence, etc, in addition to cutting things like rope.

The Tasman is a pretty good pocketable size too. And I think the whole salt series is an amazing value for the money.
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

Have to chime in here, mine is still going strong after 6+ years I think. To be perfectly honest though, it was lost in a shed in the backyard for a year of that.
:spyder: Scott :spyder:

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
-Sir Winston Churchill-
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

I have favored a serrated hawkbill since 2002 when I bought a Merlin in ATS-55. Still the most effective knife of its kind, IMO. Tasman, Spyderhawk, byrd Meadowlark Hawkbill, MAtriarch (tip is thin but it cuts more or less like a hawkbill, though it is a recurve) are all amazing cutters and do what I need a knife for most - separating one thing into two.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I love mine, but I miss it. My brother is an electrician and has confiscated mine. When I had it, I loved every day of carry. It doesn't perform well in the kitchen, but that is the only shortcoming I can come up with.

sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Zeabed

Post by Zeabed »

I love my Tasman Salt SE, but I never carry it in my pocket. I can see air between the curved blade and the handle when closed. I don't want anything to get in there and pry it open when I'm carrying it. I have enough problems.
djinnzfree

Post by djinnzfree »

Here's mine for the picture frosted in an ice cube!
I ♥ blade, kite, motorcycle and _ _ X!
ginsuwarrior

Post by ginsuwarrior »

Just joined the forum and saw this post!!

I LOVE my SE Tasman Salt. I farm for a living and it's perfect for my cutting chores. I'm going to pick up another for "town" use. It feels like I'm wielding a claw and the spyderedge is very aggressive and better than any other serration I've seen. This knife just pushed the Delica out of my rotation for a bit. It doesn't have steel liners and I kind of appreciate the savings in weight.

And since I've taken a liking to the hawkbill design, I'll probably take a look at the matriarch.
ETisCool

Post by ETisCool »

I carry mine often in my front left pocket (my weak side). I wasn't to sure about this knife when I bought it but did want to see what all the hype was about. And while I find its use for what everyone says, i.e. cutting rope or in the garden etc. It claimed a fairly permanent spot in a busy pocket for the way it opens sealed bags. I hold the bag in front of me in my left hand, Tasman blade out in the right and just push. Starting at halfway through the bag and every time it cuts through and opens it so easily. I cannot get this out of my other knifes unless they are extremely sharp (which I prefer but is just not always the case).
I have since cut so many things and abused it a fair amount. It still opens any bag. But sure needs a trip to the spydie spa for sharpening.
Anyway its is very worth it to me for the price I have a few. I love not having to worry about it. It is for sure one of my beaters and it really can take one.