Can anyone identify this knife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DJFrostbyte

Can anyone identify this knife?

Post by DJFrostbyte »

Hello everyone! I'm Rob. I'm new to the forums... and I'm addicted to Spyderco knives. Anyways, I've had this knife for a long time and I have no clue what it is. (I purchased this before I was completely addicted to collecting knives). I think it may be a delica, but I'm not sure. It has a built in pocket clip, and AUS-8 Steel made is Seki City. See pics below. Thanks in advance!

Rob

Endura 4 FFG - Delica 4 FFG - Sage 3 - Dragonfly Salt - Forum Native - Manix 2 LW - Manix 2 G10 - Tenacious - Persistence - Ambitious - Byrd Meadowlark G10 - Cat - C13 Pro Grip - Delica C11PBK - Atlantic Salt - Navigator - Para 2 Camo - Delica C11PBLE - White Endura Sprint - Mule MT05P - Delica 4 FFG - Salsa - Native 5 Ti - UKPK - Sage 1 - Dragonfly G10
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

FRN version of the C13 Pro Grip. The FRN ones were also called C33 Pro Grips for a while. Inlays are a rubbery material called Kraton. Box definitely doesn't belong to the knife, the Pro Grip was discontinued before Spyderco started using red & black boxes.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
DJFrostbyte

Post by DJFrostbyte »

Hey Deacon,
Thanks for the response. I know the box doesn't belong... that is the box from my Manix 2. I just used that as a background. I really appreciate the information. Any idea when these knives were produced? I want to say I bought this knife back in the mid '90s... is that possible?
Endura 4 FFG - Delica 4 FFG - Sage 3 - Dragonfly Salt - Forum Native - Manix 2 LW - Manix 2 G10 - Tenacious - Persistence - Ambitious - Byrd Meadowlark G10 - Cat - C13 Pro Grip - Delica C11PBK - Atlantic Salt - Navigator - Para 2 Camo - Delica C11PBLE - White Endura Sprint - Mule MT05P - Delica 4 FFG - Salsa - Native 5 Ti - UKPK - Sage 1 - Dragonfly G10
APS

Post by APS »

It looks like that aus-8a version was made after 1999. Check out spydiewiki for almost everything you could want to know!
Adam
CarbonFiberNut

Post by CarbonFiberNut »

Aus-8 generally places it around the late 90s, early 2000s. Most of the plastic-clip, FRN models used Gin-1/G2, but they used Aus-8 for a short time. Spydiewiki seems to back this up for your specific knife:

http://www.spydiewiki.com/index.php?title=C13_Pro-Grip

As a fellow owner of some old Aus-8 Spydercos, I'm jealous of that Pro Grip. Great to have a good user from those days.
◊ Manix 2 XL ◊ Manix 2 lightweight blue ◊ Caly 3 carbon fiber ◊ Caly 3 damascus / CF ◊ Lum Chinese Nishijin ◊ Sage 1 ◊ Superleaf
◊ Dragonfly FRN serrated ◊ Endura Gen 1 ◊ Rescue Gen 1 ◊ Endura 4 FFG ◊ Delica 4 half serrated ◊ Mule Team ◊ Spin ◊ Bushcraft UK
◊ S110V Forum Native 5 ◊ Black Nishijin Cricket

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Top 5 most wanted: Domino, Dice, CF Para-2, CF Cricket. Seeing a theme here?
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Agreed! That's a great little knife. Wish I had bought one "back in the day"!

TedP
Worry less - Breathe more...

Spydie Fanatic #185
DJFrostbyte

Post by DJFrostbyte »

CarbonFiberNut wrote:Aus-8 generally places it around the late 90s, early 2000s. Most of the plastic-clip, FRN models used Gin-1/G2, but they used Aus-8 for a short time. Spydiewiki seems to back this up for your specific knife:

http://www.spydiewiki.com/index.php?title=C13_Pro-Grip

As a fellow owner of some old Aus-8 Spydercos, I'm jealous of that Pro Grip. Great to have a good user from those days.
Hey CarbonFiberNut,
Thanks for the info. I guess it is not as old as I thought. As you can see from the pictures that knife has seen a lot of action! I want to send it in to spyderco to have it sharpened. I tried, but I absolutely SUCK at sharpening serrations. The knife is a work horse, and even after all this time (and relative misuse and abuse) it still locks up perfectly. I'm glad I held on to this one!