Another what shoud I buy thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DRKBC

Another what shoud I buy thread

Post by DRKBC »

I have it narrowed down to 1 of three knives for fathers day that may lovely wife and daughter will buy for me. I have nothing like any of them in my collection.

My choices are;

- The Butch Vallotton Sub Hilt
- Gayle Bradley folder
- Titanium Military (not the fluted).

Any and all opinions would be welcome because my head may blow off if I think about this anymore. They are all such great knives which is of course making it that much more difficult.
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

I already have a Vallotton and GB, and I want a Military, so I vote for Military.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I vote Ti Military, followed by Gayle Bradley. I'd love a TiMillie
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

You should really try the GB and M4. It is amazing. The hollow grind is also a surprise if you are used to the Manix's hollow. The GB's grind is nice & deep and cuts very similar to FFG in stiff media.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
jsveiga

Post by jsveiga »

It is hard to find a logical reason to pick one; if there was a logical, universally accepted way to rank the knives, our lives would be sooo easy (or boring?) - we'd start buying the "best", and keep buying them from the top to bottom of the list.

I wrote a script to grab all the specs from all products from the Spyderco website and throw them into a spreadsheet (also made a crude web app to filter them, but working on a spreadsheet turned out to be easier). So after hours of tinkering with the spreadsheet, filtering by blade and handle material, sorting by blade length, blade/handle relationship, weight, etc, I could finally make the scientifically chosen knives match the 3 ones I already wanted before I started :-)

So pick a "logical" criteria, and convince yourself it's a valid one. For example:
- "I have more S30V blades than M4 ones, so I'll pick the Bradley Folder"
- "The titanium handle matches the buckle of the belt I got last Christmas, so I'll pick the Military Ti"
- "I never tried a thumb stud Spyderco, so I must have the Vallotton"

Notice that good reasons are ones which won't work against you when you need to convince yourself you need the other two knives. For example: "I don't like M4 nor thumb studs, so I'll pick the Military" is a bad one, because you'll have to convince yourself otherwise later. So save yourself the trouble of arguing with yourself and use reasons that prioritize, but not eliminate!

But yeah, I'd definitely, undoubtedly pick the Military.

or the Bradley.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Well, I don't think you can lose with any choice you make here. So, I'll just give my thoughts on each one and you can take from it what you will.

Vallotton - Heavy knife, thick blade, not the best slicer but decent considering the thick blade and hollow grind. Super thick tip should stand up to whatever you throw at it. Built stout enough to pry a door off its hinges. Excellent ergonomics IMO, the thickness of the handle will fill your hand unlike any other folder you own and definitely stand out against the other two knives. The combination of bolsters and polished G10 and the classy looking blade give it a sophisticated feel, sort of like a mercenary in a tuxedo.

Gayle Bradley - Also not a light knife, thick blade but with a better hollow grind than the Vallotton, not the best slicer but better than the Vallotton. Personally I'm not a fan of the proud liners or the shallow liner lock access, but there are ways to get around both of those if you choose to modify it. The M4 blade will obviously either need some oil or a patina to avoid rust, but compared to the Vallotton and Military, the steel is far superior in edge holding ability. Good ergonomics but I prefer to have a more pronounced index finger choil and/or guard. If this knife were designed with a 50/50 choil, it would probably instantly elevate itself to grail status for me.

Ti Military - The hands down superior slicer of these three, without a doubt. Same thickness blade stock but with a wide FFG blade with a generous distal taper that gives a much more acute tip than the Vallotton or GB which will be much more suited to delicate/detailed work. Also the longest blade of the three, though the Vallotton isn't far behind. Without checking the actual numbers, I believe this would be the lightest of the three, but not by much (If you were opting for the G10 model, it would take the cake with ease). With a larger blade, you obviously get a larger handle, which in this case is QUITE large and something of a downer for some people, although the ergonomics are excellent no matter how you grip the handle. Compared to the other two knives which have 4 way clip options, the Military is stuck with right hand/tip down carry only.

Now, personally I only own one of these knives, and that's the Vallotton. I recently got rid of my standard Military, but not because I didn't love it, I traded it in for another knife and plan to buy either a DLC version or perhaps the upcoming Cru-wear Military. For some reason I haven't fallen for the GB yet...I think mostly because the ergonomics (while not BAD) just aren't my style...the lack of a strong index choil/guard is a real downer for me, even though the chances of my finger slipping into the edge are pretty slim, it's just a preference. I really love M4 and love the shape of the GB blade, so I'll probably get one eventually. The Vallotton is in a class of its own, whether you like the class it's in or not will be of question. It's a very atypical knife for EDC...it won't slice particularly well, and being a modified tanto, the tip is extremely thick and would no doubt live through stabbing a brick wall. I've found the lockup on the Vallotton to be especially awesome, as the Vallotton thumb studs double as stop pins that somewhat recess into the front bolster and create a vault tight lock up. Also the extended liner lock tab may seem to be a drawback to ergos, but I haven't had an issue with it and in fact it's a nice change when it comes time to unlock it. As for the Military, as much as I love Ti, something about a heavier Military just ruins the knife for me, despite the fact that I don't at all mind the extra weight of the Vallotton or GB...there's just something magical about how light a G10 Military is for the size, and I would personally opt for one with a steel upgrade as opposed to a handle upgrade.

Lastly, I wouldn't be an enabler if I didn't post pics..

Oh, and for what it's worth, the "thumb stud" on the Vallotton, is IMO, just a nod to Butch Vallotton and not much more aside from acting as a stop pin. Yeah, you can choose to open the blade via the stud if you wish, but your thumb will instinctively find the hole way before it finds the stud.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

Out of those three I own one thanks to Evil D and his review .
The peerless vallotton its an entirely unique spyderco IMO .
I don't own a military but will do the GB just doesn't have the 'wow' factor the BV does.
As said the choice is win , win , win but if you can't get a hands on first , I'd go vallotton .
To quote D 'A wolf in Sheeps clothing' it is and about as good as it gets .
One I'd consider not in the list and a bit left field is the Perrin ppt .
Only as its disco,d and the vallotton will be there for another day .
Happy buying .

Oh and adding the pewter bead lanyard to the vallotton is the perfect embellishment ;) .
Holland

Post by Holland »

i would go for the GB. the steel is a lot better then the other 2 knives and its built like a tank
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Scottie3000

Post by Scottie3000 »

I vote GB as well. It's a great knife. I actually prefer the G-10 Millie over the Ti. The Ti is a little heavier and less grippy. If they ever had a production half and half ti & G-10, I'd be all over it. Consider the G-10 and save some coin too.

I don't have any experience with the Vallotton.
On order: Maxamet Native 5
Current pocket hog: S90V Para2
Next up: Something Blurple
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

Thanks everyone. I just got home from work so now I have time to digest all of this great information.

This is such a tough call I am driving myself even a little crazier than usual;

Aesthetics - they are all great in there own way. Bradley is sleek and classic looking, Ti military is a very elegant balanced looking folder and the Vallotton is like no Spyderco I have every seen before and Evil's pictures drive that point home for sure, I am a fan of the Mercenary in the Tuxedo - kind of hard to call a clear winner here.

Ergonomics - I would think the Mili would probably have it hear but sounds like the Vallotton is also in the running. I do like the grip options on the Mili and like a choil. I don't know which ones first but likely the GB is last?

Slicing - Sounds like the Mili

Edc - I would think the GB might be number 1 here, I wonder if the Mili is too big but on the other hand, it is thin and looks like it wouldn't carry to bad. I have no issue with Tip down so no problem there. The Valloton looks a little thick and I also wonder about the pocket weight.

Steel - I don't have an M4 so that interests me, I don't live in a coastal climate and I am pretty good about keeping things clean so I am not too worried about corrosion. That said S30V is a great steel so I wouldn't rule the other two out for that.

Weight - I hear you on the weight of the Ti military the titanium adds an ounce an a half I think making it only a little lighter than the Vallotton and heavier than the GB. But it is such a large knife I don't know if that would be a deal breaker.

So if I take Jsveiga's advice Save yourself the trouble of arguing with yourself and use reasons that prioritize, but not eliminate!

The mili for the design, versatility, slicing ability and overall utility
The GB for the practical size, great steel and incredible fit and finish
The Vallotton for the extremely cool design, great Fit and finish, ergo's and overall brawniness

There you go, I don't know if I am any closer or not.
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

Just some extra points quickly , the Vallotton is deceptive in ergos of its scales.
Its one of the most comfortable knives I have to grip hard .
The contour of the scales have no hot spots , but not that it'd be used in that manner.
Its weight is also deceptive owing to the balance but for pocket carry I couldn't say .
The G10 although polished is surprisingly grippy it is in no way slippy/smooth .
Also there are is the the strength of the tip depending on your usage the military is one to watch out for.
I'd happily use the tip for piercing no concerns at all , its one of the only downsides of buying .
The dilemma of what to pick I personally have never had my expectations surpassed by a production knife .
As much as I did upon receiving the vallotton ...can you guess how much I like it :D .
macatac

Post by macatac »

I vote for the GB, but only because of those three, I want that one next for myself. :D

macatac
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

Bladekeeper wrote:Just some extra points quickly , the Vallotton is deceptive in ergos of its scales.
Its one of the most comfortable knives I have to grip hard .
The contour of the scales have no hot spots , but not that it'd be used in that manner.
Its weight is also deceptive owing to the balance but for pocket carry I couldn't say .
The G10 although polished is surprisingly grippy it is in no way slippy/smooth .
Also there are is the the strength of the tip depending on your usage the military is one to watch out for.
I'd happily use the tip for piercing no concerns at all , its one of the only downsides of buying .
The dilemma of what to pick I personally have never had my expectations surpassed by a production knife .)As much as I did upon receiving the vallotton ...can you guess how much I like it :D .
That's very convincing. I have loved the Vallotton since it first came out, I almost bought it last year but I purchased a red Persian instead only because the Persian was harder to come by and I thought I should seize the opportunity. When you say you can't comment on pocket carry, do you mean you don't carry it?
GoodEyeSniper

Post by GoodEyeSniper »

I'm torn between recommending the Millie or GB.

I believe the Military is the best designed working knife in the 4"blade range, IMO. it's so versatile and effective. and this translates well in either Ti versions, or the standard g10.

The GB's m4 is the best working man's steel IMO, and it's not a bad design of a knife itself...

In my opinion design trumps steel, so I'll say military. s30v is certainly no slouch.

the valloton is gorgeous, but I'd rather have the other two in my pocket for hard work.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Tough choices to be sure. I don't envy you in having to make this decision, DRKBC. ;) My vote would probably go to the Ti Millie first, the GB second, and the Vallotton third. No particular reason for this order ranking, other than I deeply loved my first Millie for its versatility, ergonomics, and quality. And who can say "no" to titanium? :D
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

DRKBC wrote:That's very convincing. I have loved the Vallotton since it first came out, I almost bought it last year but I purchased a red Persian instead only because the Persian was harder to come by and I thought I should seize the opportunity. When you say you can't comment on pocket carry, do you mean you don't carry it?
Yes its not legal edc here so I don't pocket carry .
I certainly would if it was but that's the law so its the way it is.
We can carry it for reasonable use eg camping if we were on the way with tent etc.
Or working but its to nice too do so and here as I constantly say we pay double.
I paid £185 which is I think full mrsp in catalouge .
So I use a tenacious and a kukhuri when camping also a Esse izula 2.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Based on your words (DRKBC), I'd suggest the GB, followed by the Military, then the Vallotton. The GB is, IMO, the most carry friendly and versatile. The Ti Military is a great knife, but rather large for many situations (IMO). The Vallotton is thick and heavy in the pocket, and the ergos are (again IMO), the least comfortable of the three. Don't worry too much though, you can't really go wrong with any of them. As you can see from the posts, it comes down to personal preferences, no right or wrong with these great knives.
:bug-red-white
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

SpyderNut wrote:Tough choices to be sure. I don't envy you in having to make this decision, DRKBC. ;) My vote would probably go to the Ti Millie first, the GB second, and the Vallotton third. No particular reason for this order ranking, other than I deeply loved my first Millie for its versatility, ergonomics, and quality. And who can say "no" to titanium? :D
I appreciate the empathy that you are feeling for my situation SpyderNut :D I am leaning ever so slightly towards the Mili but the GB is also calling to me a little for the practicality of the size and the incredible F&F of the Taichung knives and of course the steel. The Vallotton I love cause it is a pretty incredible package as well but I am thinking that I may look at it more than use it and that's an issue for me ... so although I am driving myself a bit insane I feel I am moving closer to a decision, I may have it down to the final 2.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

M4 and the uniqueness of the GB put it first for me.

The Valotton is also very unique and should be secod...

the Millie is an amazing knife, but not unique...makes it third on the list.
On the hunt for...
BAL

Post by BAL »

I think that everyone should own a Military, maybe not a TI, but definately one of them.
I am also a huge fan of the Bradley Folder. The more I carry and use it, the more I like it.
If you don't like a patina, wipe if off if it gets wet and few drops of Tuffglide will protect it.

Good luck and congrats. You can't go wrong with any.