Spyderco factory custom scales

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Spyderco factory custom scales

Post by Doc Dan »

Hi Folks,

How many of you would like to see Spyderco produce factory custom scales that we could purchase from Spyderco to update, decorate, customize, personalize our knives? What would you like to see?

Doc
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ominodipietra

Post by ominodipietra »

YES!
I think it would be great for us and also a good business for Spyderco, at least for the most successful models.
I would like to have some alternative replacement scales for the PM2, different colors, materials, etc.
Scales made by Spyderco would not be totally custom, but a good first step of personalization.
- Gabriele

Le montagne sono il principio e la fine di ogni scenario naturale.
http://ominodipietra.wordpress.com
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I would love to see this. Even more, I would love to see custom shop, where you can buy a knife with custom scales. Unfortunately Sal commented on few occasions that Spyderco has no plans for this.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
skatenut

Post by skatenut »

I would really love to see this, a dream come true. It would be wonderful to order a knife with custom features right from the start without having to send it to a custom scale maker such as Cuscadi etc..

However, as bh49 said, it will probably never happen. :(
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I'd say anyone can replace the scales on a Sage4. Because the bolsters are not removed and they are at the pivot no real disassembly is required. At the moment I don't know if removing the scales from a Sage4 or any bolstered knife is considered disassembly and would void the warranty. If however the scale covers the entire knife handle disassembling the knife would be required. Even if you didn't remove every screw I would consider it disassembly enough to void a warranty. Compared to a knife with bolsters anyway. Most knives are disassembled and assembled fairly easily but some are a little more difficult. Manix2 for example. For one thing the lanyard tube is swelled to lock it in place. This maked removing the scale more difficult. Also, the lock on the Manix2 is more difficult to get assembled properly without breaking the post on the buttons that goes inside the spring. One question Spyderco would ask is how many people would really want to do replace them themselves? Then doing it correctly is a consideration. This may cause more problems than it would be worth. I think this is definately true. Maybe. :)
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Not really. First and foremost because their production capacity is already stretched thin making knives, as demonstrated by the scarcity of a number of US made models and the delayed release of others. Second, because there are a number of people who will make you whatever you want, while the chances of a set of factory replacement scales being exactly what you want are slim to nil. There's also the issue of disassembly and modifications voiding the warranty.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

Wisely spoken Paul. It is nice to see ´extra´ custom scales for some models, but realistically I think there is not much to gain for Spyderco.
Tom
bh49

Post by bh49 »

The Deacon wrote:Not really. First and foremost because their production capacity is already stretched thin making knives, as demonstrated by the scarcity of a number of US made models and the delayed release of others. Second, because there are a number of people who will make you whatever you want, while the chances of a set of factory replacement scales being exactly what you want are slim to nil. There's also the issue of disassembly and modifications voiding the warranty.
Paul,
Nobody talking about adding custom shop, which would hurt production. Nobody want custom job at expense of production capabilities. All of us love Spyderco for their production knives. Custom shop even do not have to be in the same building. There are tons of commercial real estate, which can be leased. Consider this a new division.
You have much more experience in custom scales than I do. I just tried few times and I wish that could be a little easier.
toomzz wrote:Wisely spoken Paul. It is nice to see ´extra´ custom scales for some models, but realistically I think there is not much to gain for Spyderco.
Probably like any business today, it is not easy to make it profitable. But it looks like Cuscadi is doing OK. So this can be done.
Still if I had to choose between Spyderco having custom shop and increasing Golden production and see more Golden made models and no backorders, I would choose second.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I bet that Spyderco could do it with either the Delica/Endura in Seki or the PM2 here in Golden. I would image it like the Build-your-own Griptillian service benchmade offers. If they picked four or so decent steels (Japan: VG-10, H1, ZDP, Super Blue) (USA: S30V, CTS-XHP, M-4, M390), then a few colors for handles (just the same FRN or G10 in various colors, let's say black, green, brown, blue, purple or pink), that would do it. On top of this they could offer DLC coating, hardware options (stainless or black), clip (position, painted or satin).

Price would be higher than the standard models, and would vary a lot by steel choice I bet.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

They would be undercutting themselves, as people who bought each of the colored delicas/enduras did so for the colored scales as the knives are identical other than that.
"...is cabbage a better blue than cars that sing?" C.S.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

You can go to Buck Knives and order a custom knife pretty much any way you want it. Even if it is not listed on their website you can call them and discuss the project. I am certain Spyderco could do something like this. Also, on some models they could simply offer different scales as the knives are easy to take apart (not all are, of course).
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

I stand by my prediction that Spyderco will have a custom shop within ten years, probably dealing with a very few models such as the Military and Para. My reasoning is that, some time after the factory expansion is complete, they will hit a period of excess production capacity which will make a custom shop a good business option.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Sequimite wrote:I stand by my prediction that Spyderco will have a custom shop within ten years, probably dealing with a very few models such as the Military and Para. My reasoning is that, some time after the factory expansion is complete, they will hit a period of excess production capacity which will make a custom shop a good business option.
I wouldn't rule that, or much of anything, out completely. However, this subject has come up at least once a year during the ten I've been coming and Sal's answer has been a consistent Image Between that, and the number of potential models still in the concept stage, I think any added production capacity will be put to good use.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
endgame

Post by endgame »

I buy my custom scales from carbonscales.com the ones they make for manix 2 are amazing so are the carbon fiber ones for the pm2 and the pm2 moonglow.he also makes ones for the tenacious.
billy blade

Post by billy blade »

endgame wrote:I buy my custom scales from carbonscales.com the ones they make for manix 2 are amazing so are the carbon fiber ones for the pm2 and the pm2 moonglow.he also makes ones for the tenacious.
Endgame do you have a link to this customscales.com. I can't seem to find them doing a search.
Chopping Broccoli

Post by Chopping Broccoli »

Would love to see a Para 2 scale option with the holes tapped out for a Para 1 clip. I'd order several sets of those to make my Para 1.5 :D
Current Spydies....
Captain
Persian
Chinook 3
Manix 2
Stretch (Black CE and Blue ZDP)
Military (orange, brown, and CF)
Para Military 1 (black) (My EDC)
Para Military 2 (grey, orange, brown, blue, green)
Khukuri
Sage 1, 2, 3, & 4
Dodo
Chokwe
Gayle Bradley
Caly 3.5 Super Blue
UKPK
Urban (Wharncliffe and Leaf)
Progrip
Endura (white, orange, and G10)
Delica x6
Dragonfly x2
Ladybug x4
Perrin Street Bowie
Super Leaf

Pockets

Post by Pockets »

I'd rather make scales myself, as I find it enjoyable and the options are unlimited. Also, it's cheap :D
Delica PE, Dragonfly Salt SE, Stretch SE, Manbug SE, Mule 16, Sage 1, black/satin PM2, Native 5