Blade thickness to self defence ratio

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

mrphotoman wrote:I would never want to be in a knife fight. Buy a can of mace if you live in a bad area.
The idea is not to be in a knife fight but if you have no choice, would you rather face a guy with a knife with your bare hands?
chipdouglas

Post by chipdouglas »

mrphotoman wrote:I would never want to be in a knife fight. Buy a can of mace if you live in a bad area.
Likewise, as we all know what this might look like - for instance : http://www.marsec4.com/2010/02/realisti ... -training/
However, I wouldn't let someone take my life. But, we're indeed talking last ditch effort to protect one's life. IMHO, the topic of SD is very complex.

A can of mace as you suggested is a worthwhile deterrent. One might also carry a Comtech stinger as Evil D suggested to me days ago.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Yup, that's why its called last ditch.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

well back to the topic at hand. The new lum tanto sprint is definitely a thick chunk of VG-10 and could be used for SD. I was quite surprised with how thick the blade stock was at 4.5mm thick. It's almost as thick as my Forester. Which would probably be my ideal spydie SD knife. it wouldn't be the best stabber but it would give me some distance and chopping prowess. The lum is my new EDC though so it would definitely fill the role with it's thick blade. you guys really need to stay on topic.
JudasD

Post by JudasD »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:The idea is not to be in a knife fight but if you have no choice, would you rather face a guy with a knife with your bare hands?
This is my thinking right here. I am prepared to run like **** as option #1 though, LOL.

JD
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I hear ya chuck :) . That said, if it was two or three guys I would prob have a good OC spray. That and you can gas someone much earlier while running away.

The best defense is the one you carry and never use. That is just blatantly obvious tho. For that reason a knife (while maybe not ideal) is one I always have on me. Everything else is bulky and single-purpose; you am can't open mail with a Taser. ;)
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Blerv wrote:I hear ya chuck :) . That said, if it was two or three guys I would prob have a good OC spray. That and you can gas someone much earlier while running away.

The best defense is the one you carry and never use. That is just blatantly obvious tho.
Us mall ninjas prefer a layered defense. OC seems to be regarded well as a non lethal first choice. A folder is just so much easier to carry even when you carry a can of OC.

Oh and I wear 2 ballistic plates, doubled up, under my shirt for the long distance defense against the .338 Lapua. :D :D
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Lol! Chuck you're so ninja it feels like we are stuck in an 80's action flick :D .
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Blerv wrote:Lol! Chuck you're so ninja it feels like we are stuck in an 80's action flick :D .
The interwebz just allowed me to show my true colors(black). :D
chipdouglas

Post by chipdouglas »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:The interwebz just allowed me to show my true colors(black). :D
We can't see your true colors, because you're dressed in an all black ninja jumpsuit :)
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

chipdouglas wrote:We can't see your true colors, because you're dressed in an all black ninja jumpsuit :)
Haha!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Fairbairn said, (and I will take his word for it) if you are confronted by someone wielding a knife, run.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

I agree, let's leave the wife and kids behind. They'll slow us down. :)
Donut

Post by Donut »

I think the knife designers are basing their work on the idea that a 2 lb block of steel would be better used for self defense than any knife. :p
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Lord vader

Post by Lord vader »

A good self defense knife,wip out the old arkinsaw toothpick. :D
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Run, Forrest, Run!
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

I use to like thin bacon because they fry up crispy, but thick bacon is oh so nice and chewy...now i dunno which I like better anymore, this is so mind blowing :D
JudasD

Post by JudasD »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Us mall ninjas prefer a layered defense. OC seems to be regarded well as a non lethal first choice. A folder is just so much easier to carry even when you carry a can of OC.

Oh and I wear 2 ballistic plates, doubled up, under my shirt for the long distance defense against the .338 Lapua. :D :D
LOL ohh gawd!!!! you just brought back some great memories about reading that thread!!! LOL thanks for the Friday laugh Chuck.

JD
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

JudasD wrote:LOL ohh gawd!!!! you just brought back some great memories about reading that thread!!! LOL thanks for the Friday laugh Chuck.

JD
Hehe, brings back good times too. :D
BAL

Post by BAL »

I always find these topics about self defense interesting and funny to a certain degree.

Not to go "you need to walk a mile in my boots", but whenever I read or hear someone
say what they would do or wouldn't do, it generally means that they never have had to.

Obviously avoidence is the best defense and running is at the top of the choices. But
as Chuck eluded to, what if your wife and kids are with you. And if they are not, there is a
chance that someone elses is. Go ahead and run and let them fight the bad guy and hope
that the woman and child make it.

Obviousy a knife is not at the top of anyones self defense list either, but you can't carry
your gun everywhere. You almost can and I do, but there are still times. And you don't want
to have that as your go-to choice either. Maybe showing a knife, mace, club etc, might make
the perp back away. Pulling a gun makes you step into a different level in some minds, whether
it be the bad guy or the jury. You can fall back to your gun if the showing of the knife didn't do
the trick.

Also, it all depends on the situation, nothing is ever the same and you can't plan for every situation,
but you sure as **** can have as many choices as you feel comfortable with.