Sharpening

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Kihlo7

Sharpening

Post by Kihlo7 »

Hi guys my dad has a Edge Pro Professional Series ( not the Apex ) and i have been having one **** of a time sharpening anything at all with it. I had heard people sharpening their Spyders at a 30 or 40 degree angle. Well there doesn't seem to be 30-40 degree angle on this sharpener. I was just curious if anyone has one and might can give some pointers.
mattman

Post by mattman »

that angle (30° or 40°) is "inclusive" of both sides. You're looking for 15° or 20° on your sharpener.
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

I have the Apex and I believe the red notch on the post is 15 degrees (for 30 inclusive) The notches are spaced 3 degrees apart so go up 2 notches from 15 and you are at 21 degrees (or 42 inclusive). Line the top of the pivot with the bottom of the colored notch and you should be good to go.

There are a lot of videos on the edge pro web site that are quite helpful. I watched them all before I sharpened my first knife with the EP and I would recommend them if you are new to the EP.
Kihlo7

Post by Kihlo7 »

Ahhhhhh ok thanks guys, i learn something everyday.
Kihlo7

Post by Kihlo7 »

I watched a lot of videos myself but couldn't seem to get anything sharp lol i have not used any stones like these before and i used to just hand sharpen my knives. Does it usually take a little longer to sharpen a knife with a system like this?
Clip

Post by Clip »

Try the standard trick of marking the edge with a sharpie to see where you're taking metal off. When I set my Edge Pro up, I'll either keep the factory angle and use the sharpie to indicate, or I'll set the angle I want with an angle cube and go from there. Either way I get great results.
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
Scottie3000

Post by Scottie3000 »

If you aren't taking material off the very edge, you're not sharpening (making the knife sharper) use the sharpie trick talked about above and make sure you make it all the way to the edge.
On order: Maxamet Native 5
Current pocket hog: S90V Para2
Next up: Something Blurple
endgame

Post by endgame »

I only sharpen my beaters.wich I are so past the freshness date not worth sending them in.I just sent 2 knives to spyderco to get resharpened.I do it with my protech microtech and zt.it only cost five bucks you're knife comes back clean and with a factory edge again if something is warn out its fixed I only can comment on the other knife manufacturors but I think spyderco is the same I hear.its part of you're warranty and I would take full advantage of that.some people love to sharpen on there own though and that's great if you are good it.whennmy other knives have come back they have Bern perfect just as sharp as out of the box and that pionty tip back on it wich is hard to do.its up to you but you say you are a begginer at sharpening use a knife you don't care about destroying.I am a chef so I sharpen my own chef knives cause I cant wait for them to get factory sharp but I use a papperwheel on a grinder - sand paper- and a diamond steel..y folder and autos go back to get factory sharp $5 is nothing to pay tor that!
Clip

Post by Clip »

endgame wrote:I only sharpen my beaters.wich I are so past the freshness date not worth sending them in.I just sent 2 knives to spyderco to get resharpened.I do it with my protech microtech and zt.it only cost five bucks you're knife comes back clean and with a factory edge again if something is warn out its fixed I only can comment on the other knife manufacturors but I think spyderco is the same I hear.its part of you're warranty and I would take full advantage of that.some people love to sharpen on there own though and that's great if you are good it.whennmy other knives have come back they have Bern perfect just as sharp as out of the box and that pionty tip back on it wich is hard to do.its up to you but you say you are a begginer at sharpening use a knife you don't care about destroying.I am a chef so I sharpen my own chef knives cause I cant wait for them to get factory sharp but I use a papperwheel on a grinder - sand paper- and a diamond steel..y folder and autos go back to get factory sharp $5 is nothing to pay tor that!
$5 isn't bad, but it's the turnaround time that I couldn't stand. Plus I take satisfaction in getting a better-than-factory edge on my blades.

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Kihlo7 wrote:Hi guys my dad has a Edge Pro Professional Series ( not the Apex ) and i have been having one **** of a time sharpening anything at all with it. I had heard people sharpening their Spyders at a 30 or 40 degree angle. Well there doesn't seem to be 30-40 degree angle on this sharpener. I was just curious if anyone has one and might can give some pointers.
The way of getting things sharp is not the tool you use, rather the physical understanding of what you want to achieve :) Then the tools and techniques come into play :) Once you know what you definitively want you will be able to make it happen :)
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
endgame

Post by endgame »

I agree with all you guys but on the new ones I let them take it I still have plenty of knives to sharpen with my chefs knives I just wouldn't have time to do it properly. So I let the big boys do em.I agree with the satisfaction also when my chefs are razor sharp I love it.I use shun ken onions best working knifes hands down and for fish I use globals no wood handles to absorb the smell.I have a global cleaver that I just love.after sharpening all them I just don't have time foe my edc blades and I don't want to rush and destroy the blade.
Clip

Post by Clip »

endgame wrote:I agree with all you guys but on the new ones I let them take it I still have plenty of knives to sharpen with my chefs knives I just wouldn't have time to do it properly. So I let the big boys do em.I agree with the satisfaction also when my chefs are razor sharp I love it.I use shun ken onions best working knifes hands down and for fish I use globals no wood handles to absorb the smell.I have a global cleaver that I just love.after sharpening all them I just don't have time foe my edc blades and I don't want to rush and destroy the blade.
Agreed there, I'm not sure how long it would take to sharpen all my knives in one sitting.

Chris
endgame

Post by endgame »

It would take soooooooo long that's why I buy these knives with the great warranties just send 2 at a time.