Classic Spyderco Spotlight: C42 Viele

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
buddy54ck

Thank You Wouter, Great Job as usual!

Post by buddy54ck »

:spyder: :spyder:

Hey Wouter,
Thanks so much for sharing about the Viele, and kind of ironic that a great friend and also a member of this forum, sold
me his! I never really gave this blade a thought, because it's hard enough, keeping up with the new ones, not to mention all of the sprints, but I asked him if he had one for sale, and at that very moment, there was an ad in BF of his, selling it! Well that was easy! It was BNIB in every way, and inpressed me very much!
I really loved the Ergo's as well as the very classy looks, and would love to EDC it, but I have way to many in my rotation, and since it is somewhat rare being the VG 10 version, I have decided to just have it in the collection.
I now have my eyes peeled for the older ones, in fact, today I just picked up a small CF Walker, and it's also a beauty!
Thanks again for the review, Great Job!!!
Sincerely,
Charlie
PS..... Thanks Again Roman!!! I can't thank you enough!
:spyder: :spyder:
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

Good thing I didn't buy Romans Viele it seems :D

Congrats on the C22, it is a wonderful knife and performs way above its size!
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Congrats on the Viele buddy45ck, it's a great collection piece for sure.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 3-11-2024 Instagram
endgame

Post by endgame »

I have a chance to get the serrated or straight edge in g-10 but I didn't no wichine to get I might get one after reading this though
sharpguitarist

Post by sharpguitarist »

Hey guys,
The Vieles are great gentlemen's folders.
Nothing wrong with having a pair.

I'd get both if I were you.
Later,
Don
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, even if it is wrong.:rolleyes:
endgame

Post by endgame »

I wish I could but only got cash for 1
bh49

Post by bh49 »

shouldn't be a problem. You will buy second in a month.
FYI, there are four variants: PE and SE, both were made originally with AUS8 steel and closed back contraction and the latest with VG10 and open back. I believe that VG10 is more rare. It is very easy to recognize:AUS8 models have two rivets on the bolster and VG10 have one.
Also there is Viele 2. Looks almost the same, just shorter blade, back scale is G10 and black clip. I personally like original viele. And most important: there is Phoenix :)
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
MarcusH

Post by MarcusH »

Just came across this thread.
Excellent review and pics as always, Wouter. Thanx much!
I'd like to add some pics of the two variants of the Viele 1. ---> AUS-8 on top

Most differences are mentioned in the Spydiewiki.
But there are some more:
The micarta on the lock side of the VG-10 variant is thicker (+0.5 mm) and has a different cutout. The ricasso is also different and the VG-10 variant has washers, as far as I can see.

"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and beautiful knives. The rest I just squandered."
Slightly modified, R.I.P. George Best.
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

The VG-10 ones also have better lock surfaces. One of my AUS8 Vieles (have 2) traveled all the way with very little use. My other one isn't too far behind which is worrying (it has seen very light use).

Looking to get a VG-10 PE one sometime later or that Spyderco will make a sprint :D
MarcusH

Post by MarcusH »

NoFair wrote:Spyderco will make a sprint :D
+1
with laminated ZDP-189 and polished red G-10
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and beautiful knives. The rest I just squandered."
Slightly modified, R.I.P. George Best.
bengaiser

Post by bengaiser »

Nice comparison pics! If I had to choose I prefer the AUS-8 model myself. Thinner, better lines.

If they weren't right next to each other I would never believe the VG-10 pivot pin cap was so much larger.
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

Mr Blonde wrote:Inspection of my long neglected Viele revealed that the liner had traveled almost to the opposite end of the tang.
Thanks for your wonderful write up and photos. Though i prefer VG-10 steel, I have the AUS version and prefer the subtle differences in finish. But like all the AUS versions I've seen, my copy also has the liner travel issue. Question - do you or anyone know the downside to this? I'm handling my Viele now, comparing it's lock up performance to my other liner locks and really can't discern an appreciable difference.