Spyderco's Caged Ball Bearing Lock, compared to: AXIS Lock, Bolt Lock?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
palonej

Re: Re:

Post by palonej »

Mike3398 wrote:
endgame wrote:I like the axis but a grain of sand can jam it to me a that's a failure.
This post is old as dirt but the with the sand in axis lock I have never had one jam up from sand ever and I've crawled through lots of sand with one in pocket
Was going to post the same thing Mike!
First off......lint or debris will not stop the lock from locking.....unless you squirt glue in there.
Second.....on the very rare occasion an Omega spring breaks, the lock will function fine with one.

Having said that I LOVE my 4 Manix's with that bad a$$ BBL!!!! Carrying my blurple one right now!!
It's great to have, and like, so many different choices!!
Joe
Mike3398

Post by Mike3398 »

palonej wrote:
Mike3398 wrote:
endgame wrote:I like the axis but a grain of sand can jam it to me a that's a failure.
This post is old as dirt but the with the sand in axis lock I have never had one jam up from sand ever and I've crawled through lots of sand with one in pocket
First off......lint or debris will not stop the lock from locking.....unless you squirt glue in there.
Second.....on the very rare occasion an Omega spring breaks, the lock will function fine with one.

Having said that I LOVE my 4 Manix's with that bad a$$ BBL!!!! Carrying my blurple one right now!!
Joe
I have the blurple one also and the blue translucent I love them both
Distinguished ambassador of the American knife and tool Institute
palonej

Post by palonej »

Mike3398 wrote:
palonej wrote:
Mike3398 wrote:

Joe
I have the blurple one also and the blue translucent I love them both
I have 2 trans blue.....my son saw the first one I bought and I never saw it again......until it needs sharpening!!!
I have a G10 with coated s30v blade wearing blue Anso Putman scales which is my beater.
Then I have the best of the bunch!!! The blurple monster!!! The build on that one is Fantastic!!!!!! Never saw a finer edge on ANY production knife......EVER!!!
Joe
Attachments
image.jpeg
Mike3398

Re: Spyderco's Caged Ball Bearing Lock, compared to: AXIS Lock, Bolt Lock?

Post by Mike3398 »

I tried carrying my blurple one but then I didn't want to mess it up cause I like it to much my only beater is my pm2 with a red backspace and bronze titanium scales but I want to carry my blurple one so much so shiny lol
Distinguished ambassador of the American knife and tool Institute
Evil D

Re:

Post by Evil D »

kbuzbee wrote:Additionally, I think a ball (caged or not) interposing itself between the tang and a stop is more forgiving than something that has to slide into a hole (as I believe the bolt action does). Less impacted by debris in suboptimal conditions. ;)

Ken
Actually the Bolt lock engages the tang pretty much exactly the way a CBBL does, the bolt is even round on the end. The advantage of the CBBL is that the ball can rotate, so wear is distributed over a much larger area, whereas the bolt is fixed in position. I look at the CBBL as an improved bolt lock. I do wish the action on the CBBL was as easy as the bolt, but at least it's secure.

All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Bill1170

Re:

Post by Bill1170 »

peacefuljeffrey wrote:FWIW, whether it's Axis or (C)BBL, I eschew thumb-stud knives. I'm a hole junkie.
Same here. The hole just works better for me.
BostonTom

Post by BostonTom »

I own all three locks. Pretty much had an idea how they worked except the bolt lock.
David, nice picture of bolt lock internals. Thanks..
My Sage 3 is smooth as silk. Axis locks are similar. The CBB takes a little more force to unlock. However, it's not difficult or a problem. I use my thumb and finger unlocking all of them. It seems like it would be easier on the springs to use two fingers (finger/thumb) but I may be totally wrong.
I read a bunch of posts (elsewhere) about the omega springs failing on the axis lock. Glad to see you (David L etc) have had no problems with them.
Interesting and informative post...
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The thing about a bolt lock is you're going to shear off a screw or break the blade before the lock itself breaks, because so much of the bolt engages the tang and that stop pin/block above it. I guess the spring could fail but otherwise it's pretty bomb proof.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
BostonTom

Post by BostonTom »

Thanks. I even like the Sage 3 more now. The lock is pretty much bullet proof. Be nice if it was on more knives. By design, it would probably have to be a wider sized knife which doesn't bother me.
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

Don't really care for any of them myself