Reeve's Integral Lock

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
hom76

Reeve's Integral Lock

Post by hom76 »

I heard that the RIL lockbar contacting surface to the blade tang is heat-treated so that to form a thin layer of Ti carbide to resist wear on the lockbar due to the lock up action.

Does it also applied to the RIL featured in Spyder folders like Techno?

Thanks!
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

I think I know what you are concerned about. The wear out of the titanium.....don't be.
Regardless of if it's treated or not, with a knife that small, you will not wear it out.(unless you baton with it ;) )
I've used liner locks with .050" thick titanium liners for years and never have they gone wall to wall.

Go for it! :)
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
hom76

Post by hom76 »

Thanks! I already got a techno and now I will plan to get other frame lock models
GoodEyeSniper

Post by GoodEyeSniper »

how many models do they use the steel insert for their frame locks? I know my military has one.

as far as a well designed lock, I would imagine you generally don't have much to fear, probably would take in the hundreds of thousands of openings to start to wear noticeably. Or seeing use with a lot of shock to the mechanism like chopping, batoning...
Scottie3000

Post by Scottie3000 »

Spyderco does not heat treat the lock bar face like CRK, but I would not be worried about it.

I have a first run ti Millie without the insert and have had no problems. There are a few other ti frame locks in the lineup, and I've not heard any complaints of accelerated lock bar wear.
On order: Maxamet Native 5
Current pocket hog: S90V Para2
Next up: Something Blurple
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Scottie3000 wrote:Spyderco does not heat treat the lock bar face like CRK, but I would not be worried about it.

I have a first run ti Millie without the insert and have had no problems. There are a few other ti frame locks in the lineup, and I've not heard any complaints of accelerated lock bar wear.
According to Brad Southard, at least his model and the Techno are heat hardened.
Brad S. wrote:It is not carbidized, it is however heat hardened at the lockface, Just like the Chris Reeves Sebenza, or the Spyderco Techno. An excellent way to prevent wear.

I think you will be pleasantly suprised.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Scottie3000

Post by Scottie3000 »

jabba359 wrote:According to Brad Southard, at least his model and the Techno are heat hardened.
Cool. I've been out of the loop a bit. At the time the Ti Millie came out, they said no. Thanks for the update.
On order: Maxamet Native 5
Current pocket hog: S90V Para2
Next up: Something Blurple
LC Kid

Post by LC Kid »

Hey Folks!

jabba359 wrote:According to Brad Southard, at least his model and the Techno are heat hardened.

+ 1

You just have to look carefully at the lockface of your Techno's Titanium Integral Frame Lock.

You'll easily notice the different color of the Titanium, because of the heat hardened treatment.

That color reminds the deep blue/purple anodized Ti.
Stay Sharp!
hom76

Post by hom76 »

I am relieved now and won't hesitate to open and close my techno many times a day. Really love this blade.
Splice

Post by Splice »

Of all the lock types I've encountered, the RIL is the only one to ever fail me, and that was on a Sebenza... I don't understand why it's considered so strong since the contacting part on the lock bar can wear down if you don't open and close it just the right way. Yeah it's a thicker liner lock basically, but the problem with it is that a thicker bar will round out more easily unless the locking bar is pulled back far enough to the point where it's not making contact with the blade when closing.
Fancier

Post by Fancier »

Huh? Are you talking about failure due to lock tab compression or due to lock face wear, or the possibility of "bouncing" the lock open when using the knife "aggressively"?
Fail is such a generic term.