Intro.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Nate

Intro.

Post by Nate »

Hello all,

First post here. I'm very much in the read more, post less camp, but it's a dismal rainy day in NKY so I thought I'd take some time to say hello.

I've always had SAKs, but several years ago I really "discovered" the knife hobby after I got fed up with dull kitchen knives and took to the internet with questions about sharpening. This quickly led to many new questions about different methods, the great variation in cutlery price points, choices in steels, etc... Many of you can probably sympathize with what happened next, lol.

I got wet with some upgrades in the kitchen, purchasing a few Japanese chef's knives, then a couple of ESEE's and a few other fixed blades. Finally, my interests completed the circle and came back to folders, but this time branching far from the SAKs that fascinated me in my youth. I nibbled on some less expensive slip joints, then a couple of Vantages, and most recently became a total Spyderco convert.

After a few months I am still in awe at the quality, value, and jaw dropping variety in their lineup. Since I jumped in, just after the new year, I've picked up a Blue Persistence, a Chaparral, a PM2, and a left hand Military. They are all fantastic, but the Persistence pretty much just stays in its box now ...too much competition :( The Chaparral gets the most pocket time out of practicality (I'm a desk jockey these days) and for me the Military is > than the PM2.

This was actually a surprise to me. I initially thought the Millie was just too big, but ended up jumping on the lefty model when I heard they were being disco'd. It totally rules though! Still fits in the pocket fine and I love how nice it is to use with gloves on. (Even though I have a desk job now, I grew up doing landscaping and I like to be outdoors as much as possible.) Of course, as a lefty, it is also just feels special to have a liner lock on the "right" side, lol.

Anyway, big thanks to Spyderco and the crew here for much enjoyment and all the great info. I am currently plotting my next purchase(s). I definitely don't need any new knives, but so it goes :D

Current want list:

Native 5 (not sure what flavor)
Manix 2 lw
Cruwear Military (to have one for each hand, :) )
Domino
Scottie3000

Post by Scottie3000 »

Welcome to the forums! Looks like you already have a nice start on getting some great Spydies! I recommend trying a Stretch somewhere in there too.
On order: Maxamet Native 5
Current pocket hog: S90V Para2
Next up: Something Blurple
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Welcome Apophis :) Enjoy :)
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Hi Apophis,
Welcome to the forum. Enjoy your stay.
Your knife addiction story has quite a few similarities with mine. I carried SAK for about 10 years. Than something triggered interest in modern knives. Doing research on cutlery steel I found bladeforum. Within two month I bought couple Gerbers, inexpensive Emerson, Griptilian. I needed to sharpen. Bought sharpmaker and found Spyderco. Sold other brands. I bought Spyderco kitchen knives. Than Kanetsune. So from SAK to Spyderco took me only 3 month :)
Regarding your choices, I cannot say enough good words about Native5. It is terrific EDC and mu most used knife today. Flavor-wise, I would advise to get regular G10, This is the only one, which is available. Ti Fluted or MoonGlow, you will need to wait for a while. Another good option is the forum knife, which should be out within a month or so. Just keep your eyes open, it will be easy to miss.
Good luck,
R
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Welcome!
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Nate

Post by Nate »

Thanks all!

Scottie, the Stretch seems like a classic, I will keep it in mind!

bh49, funny you mention Kanetsune, my first "nice" kitchen knife that I alluded to above is a Kanetsugu (both made in Seki). The other is a Tojiro Shirogami petty knife in White #2. Even thought the majority of my knives are stainless, I have a big soft spot for carbon steels :)

Regarding the Native, I've seen your awesome collection. I'm really interested in the s110v models coming out, but I'm trying to show some restraint and have already committed funds to the Millie sprint. I may pre-order the CF model to allow some time to save, since it isn't due out til August or so.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Hi Apophis,

Welcome aboard! It sounds like you're certainly off to a good start with your collection. Seeing that you have a "soft spot" for carbon steels, may I suggest you look at some of the models in ZDP-189? My ZDP-189 Manbug is quickly becoming one of my favorite small EDC's. :)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
OldSarSwmr

Post by OldSarSwmr »

Welcome Apophis, thanks for sharing how you came to love Spyderco. Looks like you are off to a great start!
:spyder:
Dan
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Welcome to the forums :D !
Nate

Post by Nate »

SpyderNut, def will have to get some ZDP eventually. Been holding back, b/c I tend to just grab a SAK Cadet if I go smaller than my Chap. I imagine that I will get a Dfly or one of the Bugs eventually though. Those Super Blue Calys are still hanging around too, so much temptation, lol.

Blerv, just saw your flashlight guide. That's awesome! Wish I knew about that thread six months ago, would have saved me a bunch of time. Went through flashlight bootcamp in a haphazard fashion and ended up with several nice lights, but also a few that weren't for me. Mainly carry a Xeno E03 with an added fenix clip now.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Hi Apophis, welcome to the forums!

I too like the Millie over the PM2, it just feels so elegant in your hand, and the size of the blade inspires confidence (without being a brick).

I'd bet you'd really like the Super Blue Caly, I might suggest a Stretch 2 in either ZDP or Super Blue (an upcoming sprint run). Also the Dragonfly in either.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

Welcome! Might I suggest getting something with a Spyderedge?
Delica PE, Dragonfly Salt SE, Stretch SE, Manbug SE, Mule 16, Sage 1, black/satin PM2, Native 5
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Welcome to the forum. You already got some great knives and have a few more in your sights. Like others, I have my favorites also. I recommend you check out the Sage knives. I haven't had a Sage 2 or 3 but 1 and 4 are great. Also, I have to recommend the Bradley Folder. Until recently it was called the Gayle Bradley but they changed the name. I think the knife is running from the FBI. :) This is truely a great and wonderful knife. I carry it or the Sage4 all the time in addition to smaller knives that get most of the cutting. The Chaparral is possibly the best size for a pocket knife IMO. The CF, blade steel and anything else you can name are added bonuses. The M4 on the GB (I mean BF :) ) is one of the best I've used. I admit I haven't tried several of the "better" steels. M4 just gets SO sharp and keeps the edge. I would say PLEASE check out the BF but being left handed it may not be the best choice. I can close mine left handed (I'm a rightie) but it's a little awkward but very doable. If I were a leftie I may not buy one but after owning it and seeing it's great qualities I think it being a liner lock for righties could be overlooked. It is one of the most beautiful work horse folder I've used. The Manix2 is also a work horse, just not as pretty. Lots of different Manix2 choices also if you can find what you want.

You can see what my favorites are in my signature and I'd recommend any of these to anyone. :D
Ned

Post by Ned »

Welcome, I love my Manix 2 LW, it's my "beater"... I take it on every hike.
:spyder: C101PBL2, C54GPBN, C154PBK, MGREP, JGGYP, C75P3, C36TIP, C113GPGY, C127GPOR, C85GPBL, C11SBK, C10SBK, C11TR, C10TR, C28S (Wharncliffe mod), C11TIPD, C12GS, FB15P, C110GPBL, C85GP2, C141CFP, FB14P3Z, C123GPBL, C88PYL, KO4PBK, C105BMP

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places...Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God." Ephesians 6:12-13
BigBill5953

Post by BigBill5953 »

Welcome!
-Billy

Centofante 3|Brown FFG Delica 4|Persistence|Sharpmaker & UF rods|SS Kiwi|Manbug SE|Blue UKPK SE Leaf|Calypso Jr. FRN|Blue Dodo SE|Centofante 3|Grasshopper|Tan Ladybug Salt|Rookie Sprint|

bammann45 wrote:In Los Angeles we have roaming packs of carnivorous tortoises. I am glad we finally have a folder that can punch through their shells.
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

Welcome aboard!
sbwings

Post by sbwings »

Welcome Apophis!
I too carried SAK's for years (over 30), but my path to Spyderco was more direct. I was looking for a high quality, one hand opening knife, and tried my first Spyderco about 2 1/2 years ago. That was it. I was hooked. My collection has grown significantly since then, with an emphasis on the "Little Big Knives".
Bruce
A Whole Bunch of Spydies! :D