Paramilitary Dilemma

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
shaolinbill

Paramilitary Dilemma

Post by shaolinbill »

I would like to add to my collection of Paramilitary 2 knives. We know that the retail and online shelves are completely empty.

So, I have questions like ...

Should I spend $350 for one with blue or orange scales or might these sprint runs be reissued at half that price? And, when? Or, could $350 look like a bargain in a year?

What about the plain old black G10s and black on black? Buy them on Ebay for close to $200 now or wait for a new retail run at a much cheaper price?

Is there any way to see into Sal's crystal ball, say 12-24 months, to what's around the Paramilitary bend or just wait and hope?

Is it maybe lots or maybe nothing?
Lobo.joe

Post by Lobo.joe »

I think the demand is so high that they must be working on new production runs in Golden now. I've seen photos of them assembling them in the factory on Facebook. Be optimistic and wait for them to come out of production vs. paying extra on eBay. I sure hope they release another orange sprint run though...
Lobo.joe

:spyder: Manix 2, native, native 5, dragonfly g10, sage 2, sage 4, delica, endura, caly 3 Damascus, caly 3.5, nearly all para 2, CF military, techno, superleaf, tenacious
CarbonFiberNut

Post by CarbonFiberNut »

There have been whispered rumors of a fluted carbon fiber sprint sometime in the future - wait for that one (I know I am!)
◊ Manix 2 XL ◊ Manix 2 lightweight blue ◊ Caly 3 carbon fiber ◊ Caly 3 damascus / CF ◊ Lum Chinese Nishijin ◊ Sage 1 ◊ Superleaf
◊ Dragonfly FRN serrated ◊ Endura Gen 1 ◊ Rescue Gen 1 ◊ Endura 4 FFG ◊ Delica 4 half serrated ◊ Mule Team ◊ Spin ◊ Bushcraft UK
◊ S110V Forum Native 5 ◊ Black Nishijin Cricket

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Top 5 most wanted: Domino, Dice, CF Para-2, CF Cricket. Seeing a theme here?
Kihlo7

Post by Kihlo7 »

I would just wait, i posted a day or 2 ago on here that some were in stock on HQ and i got the black on black and digi camo/black blade both for a good price. I have an addon that watches for certain knives in stock and that's how i got those.
Holland

Post by Holland »

just wait and make sure u get in on the pre order list of whatever the next sprint is. if u look hard u can find a production para2 for a decent price to hold u off till the next sprint
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Kihlo7

Post by Kihlo7 »

Where can you get on per order?
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I would wait.
Most likely Orange para will not be produced again, but there is a chance for blue to be made in a while. Regular paras show up time from time. Just watch forum and you will get one. IMHO current street prices are insane and I cannot imagine them go up even more, only down.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Sprint runs don't get re-issued but, unless I'm mistaken, the Orange PM2 was not a Sprint but rather an Exclusive for a dealer. If that's correct, then the dealer could order another batch or, after an agreed upon length of time Spyderco could make a batch on their own or for another dealer.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Buck Knives I Like

Post by Buck Knives I Like »

The Deacon wrote:Sprint runs don't get re-issued but, unless I'm mistaken, the Orange PM2 was not a Sprint but rather an Exclusive for a dealer. If that's correct, then the dealer could order another batch or, after an agreed upon length of time Spyderco could make a batch on their own or for another dealer.
Nice answer I didn't know this.

For example I have been planning to buy from ebay a green para 2 upon release, however after reading this I am not sure If I want to.
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

I emailed BBS last week and they said they should be getting more but didn't have an ETA.

I'd wait before buying one second hand at inflated prices.
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

TazKristi wrote:One of the challenges of making a great product is making enough of it. The Para Military2 is one of our most popular designs and is in very high demand. To meet this need, the Para2 remains at the top of our US factory’s priority list and we have done everything possible to increase the volume of our production. These photos, taken this morning, show our skilled workers assembling Para2s as part of that effort. If you’re in line for a Para2, we apologize for the wait and thank you for your patience. Please know that we’re working as hard as we can to meet the demand for this knife and remain committed to making its quality and performance worth the wait. Thank you again for your confidence and patience.

[ATTACH]21802[/ATTACH]

Also, this was posted a couple of weeks ago so it looks like they are on the way. Be patient and keep your eyes peeled.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Be vigilant. Check multiple sites multiple times a day. Save your money. Buy 2 at normal price instead of 1 for the inflated price.
I found a Yojimbo 2 randomly at my local mall one day. They had literally gotten it the day before. I snatched it up. Just keep an eye out. You will find it.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Golden is in the process of expanding. So, supply should eventually get better. I'd wait.
:bug-red-white
Art_vandeley

Post by Art_vandeley »

I've seen reg. Paras and the brown one staying up fs longer and longer on various forums. There is a brown one for 160 currently on the green one thats been up for a day or 2. I got a brown one but may sell it once the green ones come out. I reserved 2 of those.
LC Kid

Post by LC Kid »

Hey Folks!

For a current Para2 I would wait. Everything points to a near future release from Golden to the Dealers
:) But if you're really interested in some specific past Sprint Run you'll have to deal with very high prices on eBay :rolleyes:
Stay Sharp!
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

I'd rather wait and get two knives later for the same price than buy one right now. But maybe I'm just saying that because I already own a Para 2. ;)
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

It won't be a bargain in hindsight. There are only a handful of discontinued and sprints that approach that range. It's a great tool and prob worth the money, just at the upper end of its pricing spectrum (IMO).

I would grab something bound to be worth more and wait for the Para2 to return (or the next sprint). A Breeden Resue or Superleaf for example.
shaolinbill

Post by shaolinbill »

Art, how do I reserved a "green" PM2?
Clip

Post by Clip »

The green Para2 is a Knifeworks exclusive, but it's taking quite a while to get here. Your best bet would be to email them and ask to be put on the waiting list in case people cancel their preorders.
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
bh49

Post by bh49 »

The Deacon wrote:Sprint runs don't get re-issued but, unless I'm mistaken, the Orange PM2 was not a Sprint but rather an Exclusive for a dealer. If that's correct, then the dealer could order another batch or, after an agreed upon length of time Spyderco could make a batch on their own or for another dealer.
this is true, but shortly after Orange Para2 was released I had some communication with Jeff. Back than he said, that he will not reorder Orange Para2. Some dealers like BBS or distributors are reordering like it was with blue and brown Paras, but some like CS and KW so far never reordered. I think different philosophies.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian