Favorite Steel?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Favorite Steel

ZDP-189
8%
S30V
9%
CTS-XHP
4%
H1
4%
VG10
22%
CruWear
3%
CPM-M4
20%
M390
9%
S90V
18%
154CM
3%

Total votes: 92

Rangodash

Favorite Steel?

Post by Rangodash »

What is your absolute favorite steel, and why?
(Libertarian)(.357)(CPM M4)
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

I don't have just one. I'm not a steel head, I'm a steel whore. ;)
nccole

Post by nccole »

I just got a Gayle Bradley and have not really given it a workout, but from what I read I am going to like its characteristics. I would say CTS-204P is my favorite right now though. I can say for sure that S30V is not a favorite of mine. I don't hate it, but have had some issues with it. VG-10 is one I really enjoy using as well, and don't mind maintaining it either. Looking forward to 110V!
RedRunner

Post by RedRunner »

S90V because of its strength. The steel really seems to really hold up well, although some of the other steels are pretty amazing too...so this isn't an easy vote for me.
Lo/Rez

Post by Lo/Rez »

The CTS-204P on my Southard is pretty nice.
Rangodash

Post by Rangodash »

204 P is pretty much chemically equivalent to M 390, and since there was only ten poll slots it got left out
(Libertarian)(.357)(CPM M4)
noseoil

Post by noseoil »

I'll have to say that for now I'm really enjoying the ZDP-189. I know it is pretty picky to sharpen, can be too brittle for really hard use and there may be more rugged types out there, but there's something I enjoy about seeing the edge and working with it now. I'm looking forward to the 110v as well, once it is released. I guess I'll have to wait to see how it goes.
edge-e

Post by edge-e »

Well, out of the steels listed it would be s90v because of it's wear resistance but it doesn't compare to my overall favourite bohler k294.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

M4 so far!
On the hunt for...
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I love M4 for what it is. Really like ZDP-189 since you can get it in affordable platforms.

I think the winner by a longshot will be the laminated Superblue knives coming out at some point. Ladybug, Dragonfly2, Delica, Stretch...*clicking shopping cart* :D
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I'm not really big on picking favorites. I have a bunch of steels in different classes I like for their different strengths or attributes. I did pick Cruwear and I could live with it for the rest of my life using only one steel if I had to. I'm sure glad I don't have to though. I really would have trouble coming up with 5 favorite steels, to be honest.

Sure I really like Cruwear. Do I really want to give up CPM M4, S90V/S110V, 52100, Super Blue,O-1, W2, 3V. L6,5160, S30V/S35V/BG42/CPM 154/CTS B75/ZDP-189, etc., etc. ? No way!

The fun for me is getting to know the feel on the stones of a steel, decide where I like running the angle, and grit for that steel at whatever hardness and thickness it comes with, or if I think it needs changing, etc.

I used to go through great lengths to try new steels. I would even import knives from overseas makers to try a proprietary steel I'd heard about. R2, for example. OU31 isn't proprietary but it was only used by one maker I could access here.

I don't have the money to do stuff like that any more. It's just as well as I was more often than not disappointed when the steel I'd heard so much about was just like any other with some attributes I value, and some I don't really care much about. Enough end of the month hard times and I decided I valued feeding myself over trying another steel right then rather than waiting a year and getting one without having to give up a meal or two.

Looking back there were only a hand full of steels that did in fact live up to the hype ( note I don't judge a steel by wear resistance, more = better steel). Those steels were Vascowear/cruwear, W2, O1, 52100, BG42, ZDP 189, S90V, S110V ( phil Wilson custom. My first was a production knife from a manufacturer that did disappoint despite using that wonderful steel), and Spyderco's line of enduras beginning with G2/Gin 1, ATS 55, VG10, as well as Spyderco's ATS 34 and S30V. I never really cared for 440V and still have some NIB Natives in 440V, and a SE Millie LNIB in 440V. They just never got my loyalty like ZDP or S90V did for true super steels.

Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

In order

M390/CTS 204p - High wear and tough for the amount of wear resistance oyu get .

ZwearPM- Great wear for the toughness you get. Sorta like s30v

Superblue- Great wear and a keen edge
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Any attractively patterned powdered steel stainless damascus. Can't pick a single one, but Odin's Eye Damasteel would be a prime example. Sal may believe that "tractors don't have to look like Ferraris", but I don't see any reason why they shouldn't and these steels offer performance as good or better than many of the current "standards" and are orders of magnitude better looking than any plain steel.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

M4 - it's easy to get howling sharp, stays that way a long time, and takes a nice patina.

Gordon
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

CPM M4:
First, it gets crazy sharp. Second it's fairly easy to sharpen. Third it holds that crazy sharp a good long time(now not a "working edge", but a crazy sharp edge)
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Out of what is listed - M4.

Don't own the Gayle Bradley though because it just doesn't feel good in my hand & I'm not into it.

From the list 154CM and VG10 would be tied for 2nd. Looking forward to the Super Blue knives coming out.
"A Delica is still a better weapon than a keyboard and a sour attitude..." Michael Janich
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

S90V was my response. I'm mostly looking for utilty edge holding under average cutting chores (packing tape to wood to flesh). This steel has served me well.
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
kurt6652

Post by kurt6652 »

I really like elmax,m4 and s35vn, these steels have a nice balance of toughness and wear resistance. I recently got a native 5 and I think s35vn has addressed most of the common complaints some people had with s30v, chipping hard to sharpen etc. It seems to be a great all around steel for my average uses, I think crucible nailed it with s35vn, it's a great edc steel.
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:I don't have just one. I'm not a steel head, I'm a steel whore. ;)
I'm with Chuck on this, all are good and have strengths in different areas :)
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
JD Spydo

VG-10: Dependability at it's finest

Post by JD Spydo »

I voted for VG-10 blade steel simply because it is the one I use the most. I actually have 3 to 4 steels I like better that VG-10 but for everyday hard use knives that I use a lot almost all of them have VG-10.

I certainly like VG-10 better than I do S30V. However there are some Crucible steels I like better than VG-10 and S90V is one of them. I do like the CTS-XHP better than I do VG-10 but the only knife I have that has that steel is my Sprint Military model that I'm extremely pleased with.

I am looking forward to what the Japanese Steel companies are going to answer the market with responding to these great new American blade steels that have hit the knife market in the past 3 to 4 years. But I will say this much about VG-10 even though there are a couple of supersteels I like better >> it is to me one of the most dependable, reliable steels I've ever used and I've never been disappointed with any knife that they used VG-10 with. To me it's one blade steel you just can't go wrong with. JD Spydo
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!