can anyone suggest a backpacking blade?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

which one

Poll ended at Fri May 03, 2013 1:12 pm

Endura 4 SE
24%
Manix2 Lightweight
76%

Total votes: 25

toomzz

Post by toomzz »

None of the suggested, a PE Endura and a double stuff ceramic pocketstone would be suitable. I don't like serrated egdes; they are a PITA to clean in the field when used preparing food.
If weight isn't an issue get yourself a Gayle Bradley folder (and the double stuff stone ;) ) Awesome tool, great steel, easy resharpening.

For a Spyderco FB I think the Bushcraft is a nice choice, however I have a Temp2 which is awesome. A smaller alternative for the Temp is a mule. The Southfork would also be a great choice!
Non-spyder-FBs; Bark river knives in A2 steel; love that stuff! Great steel.
Tom
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

GoodEyeSniper wrote: I've literally heard guys say they were too scared to carve tent pegs with their Military because it has a "fragile tip" and they didn't think it could handle the hard use, and that's about as light use as it gets.
Think and reality can sometimes be quite a ways apart. Also normally carving tent pegs can be done at the base of the blade.
GoodEyeSniper wrote: Anything a backpacker SHOULD be doing should be covered by a thin, light folder IMO ;)

I've put my Opinel through tougher stuff than most guys use their ZTs for. If you have a good head on your shoulders, a thin knife can absolutely handle most "hard use". If you want the insurance, or just enjoy having something that is much bulkier that's cool too.
That's good advice.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

My camping/hiking set actually encompasses three knives now. I carry an FRN Dragonfly2 in pocket. I carry a Para2 clipped to my waistband or chest rig. And when in camp, I have a M390 mule with lightweight 0.25" micarta scales in a small kydex sheath. This covers everything I might do - from digging splinters to chopping tent pegs to preparing food.

TedP
dwong

Post by dwong »

I used a 16bucks Mora Robust

My spydies BC wood handle is too nice to get beat up
I see the atoms free and fine,That bubble like a sparkling wine; I see the songs Electrons sing,Jumping from ring to outer ring;
-Lister
Knivesinedc

Post by Knivesinedc »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Hey X, I've often found that when a relative noobie says hard use, it often involves prying and battoning and chopping.
1. I'm not really a noob, i have been collecting and using and caring for knives for 8 years. 2. i explained that the hard use im talking about is considered hard for a folder. 3. i have never pryed or chopped with my knife. the only time I've battoned with a knife is when I was getting through that last bit of 1 Inch thick cardboard. i know my knives and their purposes, So next time as to avoid being called anything, i am going to make the decision on my own. Thanks for your help, Jake
Relentless Perseverance in the Face of a Lightless Sky.

Joshua 1:9b "Be strong and courageous, do not be terrified, do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go"
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Knivesinedc wrote:1. I'm not really a noob, i have been collecting and using and caring for knives for 8 years. 2. i explained that the hard use im talking about is considered hard for a folder. 3. i have never pryed or chopped with my knife. the only time I've battoned with a knife is when I was getting through that last bit of 1 Inch thick cardboard. i know my knives and their purposes, So next time as to avoid being called anything, i am going to make the decision on my own. Thanks for your help, Jake
Ok, good point, so can you actually describe or name your "hard use"? You never really said what kind of use you would throw at it, except for the all encompassing "hard use". Besides, there's plenty of good advice already in this thread by obviously experienced backpackers who obviously KNOW how to use knives in that context.
Knivesinedc

Post by Knivesinedc »

oh yeah and one last thing. i am only able to really afford in that price range because i am 14. That is also why i am trying to keep it light.

Joshua 1:9b "Be strong and courageous, do not be terrified, do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go"
Knivesinedc

Post by Knivesinedc »

ok that is very true. I respect the guys on here and thank them for sharing their knowledge. ok, first off, I would never pry with a knife unless it was an emergency situation. so now you know that prying is not on my list of hard use. ok im not talking really hard use for backpacking ONLY, also everyday life. My dad works for a print shop and alot of times he brings home SUPER THICK cardboard that needs to be cut, then i hear "Son got your knife?" i come trotting out and here is a pile of 1 inch thick cardboard sitting on the floor. i also have to cut tons of roots and packages at my job, but i cant carry a fixed blade because there are some smaller kids there. The last thing i have to cut is those super thick plastic bottles. so that is mainly what i use my knives for and i hope that i wasnt obnoxious or rude explaining anything. :)

fanglekai

Post by fanglekai »

I suggest an endura lightweight. It should handle backpacking tasks just fine. If you need shelter building gear or something more heavy duty but still lightweight, grab a Mora robust. If you need a really strong knife go for a Becker or ESEE.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Knivesinedc wrote:ok that is very true. I respect the guys on here and thank them for sharing their knowledge. ok, first off, I would never pry with a knife unless it was an emergency situation. so now you know that prying is not on my list of hard use. ok im not talking really hard use for backpacking ONLY, also everyday life. My dad works for a print shop and alot of times he brings home SUPER THICK cardboard that needs to be cut, then i hear "Son got your knife?" i come trotting out and here is a pile of 1 inch thick cardboard sitting on the floor. i also have to cut tons of roots and packages at my job, but i cant carry a fixed blade because there are some smaller kids there. The last thing i have to cut is those super thick plastic bottles. so that is mainly what i use my knives for and i hope that i wasnt obnoxious or rude explaining anything. :)
Ok, good. Now we're getting someplace. I would say that a thin knife would work better on thick cardboard(I have to say I haven't seen inch thick cardboard and have zero experience cutting it) since it will have less resistance but is a knife ideal for cutting that material? Do you have to cut a lot of it or just a few cuts? What knife do you have that your dad asked to use on the cardboard and how well did it handle the task?
Knivesinedc

Post by Knivesinedc »

I used my Native 4 lightweight serrated. it did alright but it wasnt all that sharp at that point (Didn't have my sharpmaker then). now that I've thought about it, it was the cardboard packaging that comes around a dishwasher. so it had to be thick enough to be stacked on. P.S there was a post a few days ago or so, about a guy with a superhawk helping at a homeless shelter cutting through cardboard about that thick. dont know if you saw it?

chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Knivesinedc wrote:I used my Native 4 lightweight serrated. it did alright but it wasnt all that sharp at that point (Didn't have my sharpmaker then). now that I've thought about it, it was the cardboard packaging that comes around a dishwasher. so it had to be thick enough to be stacked on. P.S there was a post a few days ago or so, about a guy with a superhawk helping at a homeless shelter cutting through cardboard about that thick. dont know if you saw it?
I saw it, that was triple wall. Pretty thick, I agree but not really an inch thick. So how much triple wall do you normally have to cut? Besides at your price range we really only have endura/delica, stretch, manix 2/lightweight manix 2.

What does you dad bring the cardboard at home for? We're not really looking for a backpacking blade now but a cardboard disposal blade. How about a boxcutter?
Knivesinedc

Post by Knivesinedc »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:I saw it, that was triple wall. Pretty thick, I agree but not really an inch thick. So how much triple wall do you normally have to cut? Besides at your price range we really only have endura/delica, stretch, manix 2/lightweight manix 2.
its usually a large piece about 6ft long and 3ft wide and my mistake it was 1/2in cardboard. i haven't cut much now that we've taken a break remodeling but, I will again. I think I will go ahead and pick up a SE Endura. Thanks a bunch Chuck. Jake

chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Knivesinedc wrote:its usually a large piece about 6ft long and 3ft wide and my mistake it was 1/2in cardboard. i haven't cut much now that we've taken a break remodeling but, I will again. I think I will go ahead and pick up a SE Endura. Thanks a bunch Chuck. Jake
That should work.
fanglekai

Post by fanglekai »

But why would you need to cut inch thick cardboard while backpacking? If you aren't building shelter then all you'd need a knife for is food prep and other light cutting tasks.
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

twinboysdad wrote:then you need a fixed blade, try an Esee. You will not find a $60 folder to do the things you are suggesting
Yup.. Add a few oz and a couple of bucks and get a Esee 3. If you can live with a 2 7/8 blade look into the Izula. Under 4oz and 50 bucks
Ned

Post by Ned »

Sounds like you really just wanted an endura. I would say go for it get what you want. Have fun...
:spyder: C101PBL2, C54GPBN, C154PBK, MGREP, JGGYP, C75P3, C36TIP, C113GPGY, C127GPOR, C85GPBL, C11SBK, C10SBK, C11TR, C10TR, C28S (Wharncliffe mod), C11TIPD, C12GS, FB15P, C110GPBL, C85GP2, C141CFP, FB14P3Z, C123GPBL, C88PYL, KO4PBK, C105BMP

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places...Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God." Ephesians 6:12-13
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

F
Pinetreebbs wrote:+1 or if you can find one, the Vagabond

bhvvvgfcbbvvvvvvmmmxmxxxxcxxxxvmxxmxmvvcvngvvvvvcvvvbbbbbbbbbfvvmm
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

I would steer you 180 degrees away from a SE for backpacking. Whse work and cardboard yes. Backpacking no.