Taiwanese Produced Para 2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Rangodash

Taiwanese Produced Para 2

Post by Rangodash »

Does anyone else think that this is a good idea? They have the capacity to produce more, have IMHO better quality over there, and the price could come down too. Who else thinks that a cheaper, high quality, readily available para 2 made in Taiwan would be the best thing since sliced bread? With all the capacity and materials they could use, they could make different versions in different steels and handle materials.........heaven
(Libertarian)(.357)(CPM M4)
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Not particularly. No evidence that it would actually be cheaper. Don't forget that this doesn't come out of the same factory that the little finger puppets you win at fairs do. Also there's shipping overseas. I can't imagine you get much support for messing with the P2 here, other than new steels and new colors.
Rangodash

Post by Rangodash »

I own a few Taiwanese produced spydies myself, and they are excellent in quality, pretty much perfect. Let's say the price didn't go down, and actually went up. How is that still not a good idea? Even if it was a tad more, which I highly doubt it would be, how is readily available para 2 s with super high quality measures and possible different varieties of the knife not worth a little more? People already pay exorbitant amounts for them now, even used because they simply cannot find them
bpeezer

Post by bpeezer »

I don't care where a product is produced, as long as it's good :) If PM2's were in stock I'd buy one, regardless of country of origin.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

How do you know they have the capacity? Everything we have been told points to them being a VERY small shop, pretty much the size of a family.

Golden has a number of models that are very popular they continue to crank out with great to excellent quality. Taiwan seems a terrific place for lower volume and quirky collaborations; they are definitely skilled and up to a challenge. There are factors that could lead to moving from one maker to another, it's very rare to happen and price wouldn't be a reason.

Plus, of all the models to move overseas why pick one with "Military" in the name? That's like kicking a hornets' nest because you think the buzzing would sound cool.
CarbonFiberNut

Post by CarbonFiberNut »

How about a Japan-produced version in Nishijin? :D
◊ Manix 2 XL ◊ Manix 2 lightweight blue ◊ Caly 3 carbon fiber ◊ Caly 3 damascus / CF ◊ Lum Chinese Nishijin ◊ Sage 1 ◊ Superleaf
◊ Dragonfly FRN serrated ◊ Endura Gen 1 ◊ Rescue Gen 1 ◊ Endura 4 FFG ◊ Delica 4 half serrated ◊ Mule Team ◊ Spin ◊ Bushcraft UK
◊ S110V Forum Native 5 ◊ Black Nishijin Cricket

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Top 5 most wanted: Domino, Dice, CF Para-2, CF Cricket. Seeing a theme here?
Ned

Post by Ned »

No.
:spyder: C101PBL2, C54GPBN, C154PBK, MGREP, JGGYP, C75P3, C36TIP, C113GPGY, C127GPOR, C85GPBL, C11SBK, C10SBK, C11TR, C10TR, C28S (Wharncliffe mod), C11TIPD, C12GS, FB15P, C110GPBL, C85GP2, C141CFP, FB14P3Z, C123GPBL, C88PYL, KO4PBK, C105BMP

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places...Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God." Ephesians 6:12-13
Rangodash

Post by Rangodash »

Blerv wrote:How do you know they have the capacity? Everything we have been told points to them being a VERY small shop, pretty much the size of a family.

Golden has a number of models that are very popular they continue to crank out with great to excellent quality. Taiwan seems a terrific place for lower volume and quirky collaborations; they are definitely skilled and up to a challenge. There are factors that could lead to moving from one maker to another, it's very rare to happen and price wouldn't be a reason.

Plus, of all the models to move overseas why pick one with "Military" in the name? That's like kicking a hornets' nest because you think the buzzing would sound cool.
I was just saying that from my experience, I've never and have never really heard of taiwanese produced spydercos being in a shortage to where people have trouble finding them even on the secondary market. Now, they might not have any more capacity then golden does, but it sure seems like they pump out high quality knives at a rate where people that want one can get one. I personally don't see how making a knife in taiwan with military in the name is similar in any way to kicking a hornet's nest, I mean the U.S. isn't the only country with a military right? Not really understanding why that would be bad. They could change the name to whatever they want, I just had the idea that spyderco could benefit themselves and the consumer by producing an amazing and highly praised knife in a different country. Heck, they could still keep producing it over here and over there as well
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

Blerv wrote:How do you know they have the capacity?
I haven't been told anything, but based on the number of popular models that are produced there coupled with the fact that those models are not perpetually back-ordered and out of stock for years at a time seems to point toward their ability to produce the required capacity.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

I can't say NO, enough times.

I would prefer that they grow the Golden, CO. facility and move all production back here to the USA. I doubt this will happen but I can hope for it. :)

You know what might help Spyderco hire another worker here in Golden.......buy more USA made knives.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

No, because I don't want to mess with a formula that produces the para 2 awesomeness.

Everybody and their momma always think they have a better idea...
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

No from me only because I think that the best (by far) Spydies come from Taiwan and the Para2 for me is no where near a favorite. So I would hate to see a slow down or limit on what is being produced there just to make a knife I don't care for.
On the hunt for...
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Sorry OP, I came off a bit harsh :( .

The best thing (IMHO) is for Taiwan to make a similar model that people would adore. G10, drop-point, compression lock, etc but different enough to justify it's own audience. That way the Para2 doesn't go anywhere and Taiwan picks up a real screaming seller. That is a win-win.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

David Lowry wrote:I can't say NO, enough times.

I would prefer that they grow the Golden, CO. facility and move all production back here to the USA. I doubt this will happen but I can hope for it. :)

You know what might help Spyderco hire another worker here in Golden.......buy more USA made knives.
+1
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Rangodash

Post by Rangodash »

Blerv wrote:Sorry OP, I came off a bit harsh :( .

The best thing (IMHO) is for Taiwan to make a similar model that people would adore. G10, drop-point, compression lock, etc but different enough to justify it's own audience. That way the Para2 doesn't go anywhere and Taiwan picks up a real screaming seller. That is a win-win.

As for fulfilling need that doesn't say much. Tesla makes like 40 cars a month.
no worries :) That is a great idea. the U.S. has the millie and para 2, japan has the FRN knives(endura, delica, salt models, stretch), but taiwan really doesn't have a staple model. Something like you said in a different steel than s30v would be IMHO a homerun for spyderco, if they can keep the price down to around $100 like the para 2 was when you could find them
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Rangodash wrote:and the price could come down too.
In more than one occasion Sal commented that Spyderco makes knives in Taiwan due to high quality of maker and not due to the cost. Cost is about the same as to make in US. Also knives sold at fixed profit margin, except M2 and para2, which sold at lower profit margin, so I cannot imagine price for para2, which is already quite low to go down even more.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
nccole

Post by nccole »

I wouldn't mind. Although, even though I have about 15 Spyderco's I don't have a Golden knife yet. The green Pm2 and green Native will be my first Golden knves. A Military is on my short list as well. I am not sure why you couldn't still make some in Golden and some in Taiwan. Maybe do the sprints/exclusives in Taiwan. Not as simple as it sounds of course, but I think it could possibly work. A Taiwan made knife from my analysis does not equal a cheaper knife. I bet you could price the Taiwan made ones just the same as the Golden made ones.
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

Rangodash wrote: if they can keep the price down to around $100 like the para 2 was when you could find them
That right there may be the problem. The Para 2 is one of those models that is volume profit & therefore sold at a lower price.
That may not be working out so well for Spyderco when there is more profit per piece on another model.
This is a business that Sal is running, not santa's workshop. If we all paid $250 for them you would be standing eye deep in Para 2's
O.
nccole

Post by nccole »

Rangodash wrote:I was just saying that from my experience, I've never and have never really heard of taiwanese produced spydercos being in a shortage to where people have trouble finding them even on the secondary market.
Just a tid bit, I believe there was a GB shortage for a very short time. May have been when they transitioned to the milled out lighter version. But overall, they seem to do very well, and I would bet it is actually a lot harder to do many smaller batches than to do higher volumes of less knives. Not positive on this, but they may also handle more blade steels than Golden and Seki City. That type of flexibility is impressive imo.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

O,just,O wrote:That right there may be the problem. The Para 2 is one of those models that is volume profit & therefore sold at a lower price.
That may not be working out so well for Spyderco when there is more profit per piece on another model.
This is a business that Sal is running, not santa's workshop. If we all paid $250 for them you would be standing eye deep in Para 2's
O.
Not sure the logic behind the pricing matrix. I'm guessing the margin on the Para2 and Manix2 are for customer initiation or to give the competition a run for it's money. :D

It seems harder to get since the Nutnfancy videos. Still, occasionally I check and can usually find quite a few for sale from MSRP to a bit above. If you can't buy 10 of them at any one point that is probably a good thing, it means the supply and demand is being fine tuned.

The real question (to me) is why anyone would panic at not being able to find a Para2 when a ton of awesome knives were recently discontinued. Both Persian2's, the Breeden, Superleaf, Zulu, and others are being offered at a deep discount unlikely to return again. There is even a Superblue Caly3 out there.

PS: This site says they are in stock -

http://www.hdblades.com/index.php?main_ ... military+2