Taiwanese Produced Para 2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
CarbonFiberNut

Post by CarbonFiberNut »

Blerv wrote:
PS: This site says they are in stock -
They come up as "out of stock" after you add them to your cart. This seems to be exceedingly, distressingly common at small knife retailers, and it's crazy frustrating when searching for something hard-to-find.
◊ Manix 2 XL ◊ Manix 2 lightweight blue ◊ Caly 3 carbon fiber ◊ Caly 3 damascus / CF ◊ Lum Chinese Nishijin ◊ Sage 1 ◊ Superleaf
◊ Dragonfly FRN serrated ◊ Endura Gen 1 ◊ Rescue Gen 1 ◊ Endura 4 FFG ◊ Delica 4 half serrated ◊ Mule Team ◊ Spin ◊ Bushcraft UK
◊ S110V Forum Native 5 ◊ Black Nishijin Cricket

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Top 5 most wanted: Domino, Dice, CF Para-2, CF Cricket. Seeing a theme here?
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

CarbonFiberNut wrote:They come up as "out of stock" after you add them to your cart. This seems to be exceedingly, distressingly common at small knife retailers, and it's crazy frustrating when searching for something hard-to-find.
Oh that's annoying. Mark of a truly unsuccessful drop-ship business. :rolleyes:
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I would bet that price would be equal or higher if the PM2 were to be produced in Taiwan. I would also bet that this wouldn't sit well with many of Spyderco's customers who fell in love with the $100, american-made, 3.5" drop-point perfected. Moving production overseas has almost never been a success for American knife companies (at least as far as their reputation, look at Buck, Benchmade, etc). I do understand that overseas-produced knives (Tenacious, Japanese spydies, chinese Kershaws, etc) do very well here because of the price points they are able to hit, but taking an American knife and moving production overseas would not look good for Spyderco.

Also, I'm pretty sure that Spyderco is increasing their production capacity in Golden to something like double or more as we speak (there have been several threads about this), in direct response to the success of the PM2 and Manix models.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Boberama

Post by Boberama »

I don't really care where it's made as long as it's great quality. I can't comment on where Spyderco should produce their knives, I'm sure they can figure that out just fine. ;)
[CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Boberama wrote:I don't really care where it's made as long as it's great quality. I can't comment on where Spyderco should produce their knives, I'm sure they can figure that out just fine. ;)
And I don't mean to knock the Taiwanese products, they're very nice. I love my Japanese Spydies to death. But there is something that doesn't bode well about taking American production (be it a pocket knife, laptop, car, sweatshirts) overseas.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Boberama

Post by Boberama »

kennethsime wrote:And I don't mean to knock the Taiwanese products, they're very nice. I love my Japanese Spydies to death. But there is something that doesn't bode well about taking American production (be it a pocket knife, laptop, car, sweatshirts) overseas.
Fair enough. I'm not American, so "made in America" doesn't hold too much meaning for me. If a knife I liked was made in my country, I'd probably have an issue with moving production somewhere else as well.
[CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]
BAL

Post by BAL »

NO x 10. Why mess with success.

The quality of the production in Golden is top of the line, most of my favorites are from there.
There are plans to increase production there which will help with producing the more popular
knives that they make.
Alnamvet68

Post by Alnamvet68 »

While I really appreciate the fine craftsmanship and attention to detail of my overseas produced Spydies, I am of the belief that Spyderco should produce all knives in the US, and perhaps importing those must have exotic steels to the US for manufacture and assembly by American workers....we do have an unemployment crisis in America, and Spyderco along with many other US based companies would do well to bring home the jobs. That said, a continued relationship with overseas contractors would be good for business as well, here and their, so keeping the production of the low end, budget line of knives like the Byrd series would be fine, as far as I'm concerned. Moving Byrd production from China to Taiwan and Japan would even be better. Let the marketing gurus in Asia sell those Byrds, 'cause Lord knows you'll never get me to buy one at any price.

So, by way of China :D , I say to the OP, absolutely not.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

PM2 is of no interest to me, but I'm pretty sure Spyderco is in the process of expanding their Golden plant, so moving production of one of the main reasons for that would seem counter productive.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

At some point you just need to have faith that Sal and the rest of the Spyderco team are doing not only what's best for them, but for us, which is essentially the same thing as us customers keep the machine running, so to speak.

Expanding and training a new shift of knifemakers takes time, and the right people. I wish them well and will stand with them during this time of change.

Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

The Mastiff wrote:At some point you just need to have faith that Sal and the rest of the Spyderco team are doing not only what's best for them, but for us, which is essentially the same thing as us customers keep the machine running, so to speak.

Expanding and training a new shift of knifemakers takes time, and the right people. I wish them well and will stand with them during this time of change.

Joe

This one, 100 percent.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

kennethsime wrote:I would also bet that this wouldn't sit well with many of Spyderco's customers who fell in love with the $100, american-made, 3.5" drop-point perfected.
+1
Moving Para2 to Taiwan certainly would help with back-orders. Many people just will not be interested to buy it anymore. Not everyone, not even majority, still quite a few people like to see "Made in America" on their blades.
kennethsime wrote: Also, I'm pretty sure that Spyderco is increasing their production capacity in Golden to something like double or more as we speak (there have been several threads about this), in direct response to the success of the PM2 and Manix models.
I hope this is true as well. Also, I was told that now is a good time for this. Companies are getting credits for new equipment and hiring people from unemployment. Whatever would help Spyderco will be good for us.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
speedcut

Post by speedcut »

Taiwanese Spydercos are good but they have their imperfections+ the bushing system , the nested liners and other factors too ... So i don t think they will get better in quality or price...
einstein2001

Post by einstein2001 »

I assume moving all the tooling and machinery would be cost prohibitive. Also while the quality may be the same or better if produced in Taichung, you loose the allure of an all American blade made right here on Earth. :D
[table="width: 1100, align: left"]
[tr]
[td][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/td]
[td]Cruwear Military, CTS-204P Para 2, K390 Mule
Southard, Techno, Sage 2, Gayle Bradley
Super Blue Caly 3, Caly 3.5, Endura and G10 Ladybug
ZDP-189 G10 Dragonfly, ZDP-189 Nishijin Dragonfly
[HR][/HR]:spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder:
-Brandon

[/td]

[/tr]
[/table]
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

I trust Spyderco will do what's best for business. If that includes moving production of a model to Taiwan, then that's OK. It is my belief that an item being made in the USA does not give it an automatic stamp of quality.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Jay_Ev wrote:I trust Spyderco will do what's best for business. If that includes moving production of a model to Taiwan, then that's OK. It is my belief that an item being made in the USA does not give it an automatic stamp of quality.
I also believe that people at Spyderco know what is better for their business. I am sure that made in US is not guarantee quality. But quality made in US product give me pride of ownership plus satisfaction that I help a little to my countrymen. Quality made in Taiwant product cannot give me that. I am well aware that everybody is different and nobody can please everyone.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Rangodash wrote:I was just saying that from my experience, I've never and have never really heard of taiwanese produced spydercos being in a shortage to where people have trouble finding them even on the secondary market.
There was a long period when the GB couldn't be found anywhere new.
Jay_Ev wrote:I trust Spyderco will do what's best for business.
Totally and completely agree. :spyder:
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

Rangodash wrote:I was just saying that from my experience, I've never and have never really heard of taiwanese produced spydercos being in a shortage to where people have trouble finding them even on the secondary market.
The Southard has been out of stock for a while now at quite a few online retailers.
fanglekai

Post by fanglekai »

Blerv wrote:Sorry OP, I came off a bit harsh :( .

The best thing (IMHO) is for Taiwan to make a similar model that people would adore. G10, drop-point, compression lock, etc but different enough to justify it's own audience. That way the Para2 doesn't go anywhere and Taiwan picks up a real screaming seller. That is a win-win.
I like this idea.
Donut

Post by Donut »

They can have a production version of the 204P Para and only make that model in Taiwan. :)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!