What Are Your Least Favorite Spydercos and Why?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
thog94

Post by thog94 »

The only Spydie that I have purchased and not liked is my Centofante 4. It jut doesn't feel right in my hand and I couldn't get used to it. I've never used it per say, just handled it. For some reason it never felt comfortable so it went back into the box where it sits to this day.

There are a couple of others, if it's blade shape, size, or handle material that I don't like. I just don't think it would be fair of me to comment on them since i haven't purchased or handled them.
Stop feeding the trolls
Michael Cook

Post by Michael Cook »

the ocelot, it just sits in my spyderpac unused and unloved.
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
darkstar29

Post by darkstar29 »

I can't speak to one I've never carried, but the Zulu was underwhelming.
Not the blade shape, but the handles lack of heft and a bit of length.
I never felt comfortable using it for more than ultra-light tasks.. Just didn't feel comfortable in my hand.
But that's more a personal preference..

Some knives I won't buy due to aesthetics.. again: personal preference.
I walk away slow tonight,
and cut through the air
with a curse, like a knife.
BAL

Post by BAL »

Alnamvet68 wrote:For all you folks who's contribution to this thread is nothing more then calling it (the thread) trollish, or has the potential for getting ugly, or whatever it is that drives you to attempt to derail a thread with a simple question, may I suggest you keep your "trollish" thread derailing responses to yourselves. In the short time I've been here, I have seen ugly behaviors directed towards another new member, and no less, by another "newbie. I have seen two threads closed because of infantile behaviors that bordered on what I believe to be ban offenses, with accusations of a member(s) having sock puppet accounts, or the simple thread announcement of the up and coming Forum knife, and how that went south post haste....or a simple question about selling knives or why there is no for sale sub-forum, with accusations that the poster is attempting to sell a knife or knives under some sort of suspicious post. You know who you are, and I ask that you steer clear of my threads if you have nothing to positive to add to it; and if your posts smack of the troll posts that would get you banned on my forum, I will call you out on it. While I appreciate the MOD Light approach I see here, I believe some of you are taking advantage of that fact that, in most forums, and especially in mine, you would have been dealt with in a not so nice of a manner that things are done here.

The bottom line, you pathological trolls and crap stirrers really make this forum experience less then what it should and can be.
My suggestion is to take the entire paragraph above that you typed to a mirror and read it to yourself.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Out of the 160+ folders and 30+ fixed blades that Spyderco has produced over the years there are only a couple dozen, tops, that I really like. That's more than enough for me, but it does make it difficult to pick "least favorites", since there are so many to choose from. Will say that, aside from the Ocelot prototype, I don't think there's a single compression lock model I've ever liked, or even wished was available with a midlock and I got lucky on that one, the production Ocelot was a midlock. :)
Evil D wrote:Nope, but the handle looks pretty similar to the Persian...?
Aside from the length and materials, not really. The "hump" in the spine of the Kris' handle just forward of the lock well gives it a totally different, and IMHO, totally wrong, feel. Persian, OTOH, feels really great in my hand. Just wish they'd have omitted the #!@%*&~ Boye dent.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Blerv wrote:I've never hated a Spydie but many have moved on to new homes.
+1
I think that in today world this is not avoidable. We are buying most of our knives, without ability to handle or even to see them in real life. In the past, when I used to buy 20+ knives every year, few of them were sold or traded with a week after I receive them. Some of the knives I liked when I bought them, but stopped liking in couple years and decided to sell to fund a new knife, which I though I will like more. But I would not call them least favorite. They were good knives, just not for me. If I had unlimited funds, I would keep all and buy more.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
girlyMANN

Post by girlyMANN »

Least Favorite Spydercos?
well, this much i will say;
the one thing which keeps me from owning spyderco's product from the byrd knife line
is that tacky thumb hole.
even now,
i still can't quite make it out,
if it's suppose to be a stylize penguin's beak, fang, claw or glaring eye of some kind....
a plain oval hole would do just fine
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

girlyMANN wrote: ... is that tacky thumb hole ...
Not so much Byrds specifically, but I do notice that some knives really work well with a hole and others, not so much. The knives I like the least are often the ones where it feels to me like the hole should be a stud, or even a nail nick.

Gordon
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

GTPowers wrote:.....The Native4.....*runs away*
I just checked the Spyderco on-line catalog and there isn't a "Native4". There also never was a Stretch2 but lots of people call the current models the Stretch2 and everyone seems to know that. I have seen the term "Native4" many times and have always figured it was the current standard Native (pre-Native5). Just want to confirm this is correct.

Back to topic. The Spyderco knives I doubt if I'll ever buy are the really "creative or exotic" shapes like the Yojimbo. I haven't seen one Spyderco that I'd consider useless as far as function goes. If one of the "creative" designs fit a particular cutting need I have I'd get one without hesitation. But, 95% (if not 100%) of my Spyderco knives are EDC, general use knives. The main difference in the ones I have is size and I choose the size for the given task. Of course 90% of my cutting could be accomplished with any one of the 2-4 knives I may have on me at any time. :) But I figure he**, I bought for them! Danged if they are just going to sit around. :) I've heard that the first impression of Spyderco knives is they are funny looking. I guess compared to the Case pocket knives I carried all my life they are. I don't remember thinking that when I first started looking at them though. Well, except for the "creative" models anyway. :) This non-attraction to "creative" models isn't limited to Spyderco. I feel the same about some Mantis models. Nothing against Mantis. I would get some of their knives if I liked that type of knife. Another thing about exotic shapes is after holding a knife that I consider "wierd" looking or whatever it feels much better than expected. So, I won't list knives but this is what I'd consider an explanation of my least favorites.

There are knives, great Spydercos that I've sold and kept others just because I didn't carry them as often as some. I could list those but it would be crazy because there was really nothing "less-favorite" about them. Well, small list is Delica, Stretch, Manix2. See??? GREAT knives that I let go just because they didn't hit the pocket often. My signature lists my favorites that kept the above knives out of my pocket. If you notice they are fairly new models so the above models were only replaced by something new, not what was available at the same time. I did carry them so they were in the pocket until they weren't. :)
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

Native 4 - http://spydercollector.files.wordpress. ... ative4.jpg

I have to say I never was a fan of the FRN Native 3 with the crazy swedge thing going on with the blade.
CarbonFiberNut

Post by CarbonFiberNut »

senorsquare wrote:Native 4 - http://spydercollector.files.wordpress. ... ative4.jpg

I have to say I never was a fan of the FRN Native 3 with the crazy swedge thing going on with the blade.
That CF.... :eek:
◊ Manix 2 XL ◊ Manix 2 lightweight blue ◊ Caly 3 carbon fiber ◊ Caly 3 damascus / CF ◊ Lum Chinese Nishijin ◊ Sage 1 ◊ Superleaf
◊ Dragonfly FRN serrated ◊ Endura Gen 1 ◊ Rescue Gen 1 ◊ Endura 4 FFG ◊ Delica 4 half serrated ◊ Mule Team ◊ Spin ◊ Bushcraft UK
◊ S110V Forum Native 5 ◊ Black Nishijin Cricket

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Top 5 most wanted: Domino, Dice, CF Para-2, CF Cricket. Seeing a theme here?
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

senorsquare wrote:Native 4 - http://spydercollector.files.wordpress. ... ative4.jpg

I like that knife. I also like the regular (whatever # :) ). It's just the right size, ergos are good and even the blade I like because it's different, more curvey. :) I think the blade looks a little agressive with the grind and all but the length takes away from the thought that an owner might be a serial killer. :) I'm assuming the Native 4 is not available. I still have my eyes on the Native 5 but a few things are ahead of it.
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

CarbonFiberNut wrote:That CF.... :eek:
I have one of those, and I like it, though I carry my Caly 3.5 more. The CF is smooth similar to a Caly 3/3.5, not like the Sage 1. They are still available here :) .
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

The Native 4 is nice. One of my favorite smooth handled knives to carry.

I don't really have any least favorites these days. They're all excellent in their own way, and I can't help but appreciate every one of them. We're very lucky to have such variety available to us.
:bug-red-white
CarbonFiberNut

Post by CarbonFiberNut »

rodloos wrote: They are still available here :) .
For $10 more, I can pre-order the S110V native 5 with CF from NGK - I like the native 4's CF, but the value sure isn't there at a hundred and eighty bucks for VG10
◊ Manix 2 XL ◊ Manix 2 lightweight blue ◊ Caly 3 carbon fiber ◊ Caly 3 damascus / CF ◊ Lum Chinese Nishijin ◊ Sage 1 ◊ Superleaf
◊ Dragonfly FRN serrated ◊ Endura Gen 1 ◊ Rescue Gen 1 ◊ Endura 4 FFG ◊ Delica 4 half serrated ◊ Mule Team ◊ Spin ◊ Bushcraft UK
◊ S110V Forum Native 5 ◊ Black Nishijin Cricket

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Top 5 most wanted: Domino, Dice, CF Para-2, CF Cricket. Seeing a theme here?
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Yeah. I paid $112 shipped for my Native 4 a couple years ago. But they're a lot harder to find now.
:bug-red-white
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

CarbonFiberNut wrote:For $10 more, I can pre-order the S110V native 5 with CF from NGK - I like the native 4's CF, but the value sure isn't there at a hundred and eighty bucks for VG10
Yep, that's the drawback with KSF - the reason he still has some of the old models is because of the higher prices (but not as bad as the evil-bay flippers usually). But at least he has some available - you know you want both models anyway, right? :D Another CF for your collection.

Maybe my least-favorite models are ones I just can't get, like a fluted Ti Military. Now that I have a fluted Ti Native, I lust for a fluted Ti Millie all the more...
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
ASmitty

Post by ASmitty »

I was really underwhelmed by the D'Allara Drop point model when I first saw it. I was excited to see the ball lock model make it into a drop pointed model, but the drop point blade shape they went with wasn't at all what I had in mind. Unfortunately, Sal and Co. kept me waiting for quite some time before giving me pretty much exactly what I was looking for in the Manix2 Translucent Blue.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a danish."

Quietly lurking the Spyderco forum since 2003...
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Michael Cook wrote:the ocelot, it just sits in my spyderpac unused and unloved.
I agree with Michael concerning the Ocelot model. Those recessed footprints to me were truly a very bad design mistake IMO. I would buy an Ocelot again in a heartbeat if they would reintroduce one with a solid G-10 or Micarta handle. But those footprints to me were borderline insanity; design wise IMO.

There were 2 other Spyderco models that made no sense to me whatsoever> First of all the Maddox was one that I will never figure out in a hundred years. Also the "Spydersaw" to me was a "marketing mistake" all the way. I wouldn't mind if Spyderco wanted to get into a lawn and garden business but the Spydersaw to me made no sense at all when the market is already completely saturated with stuff like that. It was a good quality item but it just always seemed out of place to me.

Also I've always wondered what the SPOT model was designed for? It is a unique looking fixed blade but I never seen any practical use for it.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

JD Spydo wrote: Also I've always wondered what the SPOT model was designed for? It is a unique looking fixed blade but I never seen any practical use for it.
WHHHHHHAAAAATTTTT? I find this hard to believe coming from you JD. You are the lover of the reverse S and the curved blades. I always assumed the Spot was a fixed blade cousin to the Dodo.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*