Favorite Spydercos... and why!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
knifexprt

Favorite Spydercos... and why!

Post by knifexprt »

Hi all,

So, i was just wondering, what is your favorite spyderco and why?

Just wanted to know which spyderco knives are favored by the community...

for EDC, i prefer a Dragonfly. Great little knife.
:spyder: Knifexprt :spyder:
CarbonFiberNut

Post by CarbonFiberNut »

I'm a huge fan of the Lum Chinese (Nishijin glass fiber scales), Sage 1 (carbon fiber scales), and the Carbon Fiber incarnations of the Caly 3...

(seeing a theme here?)

For day to day use, I get the most out of so-called "gentleman's folders", knives that look very nice, yet are still capable cutters. That's one of the reasons I favor Carbon Fiber knives so heavily - they look outstanding while still being a good working handle that is long-lasting and strong. The weight savings on some of the CF knives is a nice bonus when riding in dress pants pockets.

As far as my favorite aspects of those three knives, well...

Lum Chinese - the sleekness of this knife makes it dynamite in the looks category, and the grind and blade shape, along with the angle the blade presents to the work surface due to the curved design, make this an outstanding light duty blade. Especially for things like food prep, the Lum is a brilliant slicer and looks non-intimidating when I pull it out in a corporate lunchroom. I'm also a huge fan of the ergonomics of the liner lock, which makes one handed closing easy, smooth, controlled, and non-threatening to a typical co-worker.

Sage 1 - see the above comments on the liner lock, while adding in a more beefy workhorse of a knife. The addition of a choil for great grip options, overall outstanding ergonomics, and keeping a great appearance makes this a favorite.

Caly 3 - in Carbon Fiber, or even better Damascus/CF with stainless steel bolsters, the Caly 3 is a gorgeous knife that looks very non threatening, since it appears smaller than it actually is. With the choil, it's a very secure grip, and the knife fits my hand perfectly. Being a fairly thin full flat ground blade, it's a fantastic slicer, and the deep carry wire clip is one of my favorite features. For a knife to carry in the office, it is much less conspicuous than a lot of knives that leave a half inch of handle sticking out of your pocket. Even the sage, which also has a deep carry clip, sticks out of the pocket a bit more than the Caly 3 does.
◊ Manix 2 XL ◊ Manix 2 lightweight blue ◊ Caly 3 carbon fiber ◊ Caly 3 damascus / CF ◊ Lum Chinese Nishijin ◊ Sage 1 ◊ Superleaf
◊ Dragonfly FRN serrated ◊ Endura Gen 1 ◊ Rescue Gen 1 ◊ Endura 4 FFG ◊ Delica 4 half serrated ◊ Mule Team ◊ Spin ◊ Bushcraft UK
◊ S110V Forum Native 5 ◊ Black Nishijin Cricket

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Top 5 most wanted: Domino, Dice, CF Para-2, CF Cricket. Seeing a theme here?
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Over the years I've had several "favorites" ;) Hunter, Lil'Temp, Jester, Dodo, Phoenix.... More recently Bradley, SB Caly3, Balance...

Currently, it's a Native 5. I'm so loving this knife. The ergos are terrific. It carries well. Big enough to handle most anything but small enough to be convenient.

Ken
玉鋼
knifexprt

Post by knifexprt »

Excellent choices!
i have seen pictures of the Bob Lum Chinese. it is very good-looking.

and its not mine, but i might have to also add a Spyderco Civilian that my father is selling to my favorites...
It is an older one, phenomenally comfortable to hold, and it is discontinued. it has a rubberized inlay. very pretty in its simplicity.
i would buy it, but dont have the funds right now.
:spyder: Knifexprt :spyder:
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

My favorites tend to change somewhat...my moods and needs etc. But there are a couple that I am always happy to have in my pocket...

Bradley Folder because of everything. To me it is probably one of the top 3 Spydercos ever made.

Bradley Air because of all the same things but in a small gentleman's knife.

Techno. I think that the blue spacer is ugly as...sin, but overall the knife is a great stout little folder.

Those are probably my most carried Spydies...though there are many others that do get pocket time. My Manix 2 is my around the house carry knife...

I will admit that the past few weeks, my EDC has been my Burchtree Mid Tech...
On the hunt for...
vaisforlovers

Post by vaisforlovers »

This is what I posted in JD's Top 10 post back in October: JD's TOP 10>> What's Your's (http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... post812860)

I think the Southard Folder moved into the top 2, day depending it is #1. But when I see the Damascus Caly again, I love it and it moves back.
vaisforlovers wrote:JD, I know you didn’t ask, but I had to tell why. I guess I have to rationalize it. My collection is relatively newer, but with CQI, I tell myself they’ve worked the kinks out and I’ve got the best they’ve made :D . As you can tell, I generally prefer smaller blades. Thanks for starting this post. I enjoyed this.

James

1) Damascus Caly ~ C113CFPD--- Very recent acquisition, but quickly to the top of my list
2) Salt I ~ C88YL --- My most used blade, easy to sharpen, great in the worst environments
3) Caly 3 ZDP ~ C113CF --- Was at the top until the Damascus Caly
4) Ti or G10 UKPK ~ C94Ti/C94GFG--- My go to knife when I’ll be around NKP
5) Lava ~ C110 --- Love the unique shape. Want one in carbon or G10
6) Delica ZDP Combo Edge ~ C11GRE--- My first love (kinda like a gateway knife)
7) Techno ~ C158Ti--- The knife I chose when I don’t know what to chose
8) Chaparral ~ C152CF --- Takes up little pocket real estate, great for any occasion
9) Gayle Bradley ~ C134CF --- The easy choice when I need a larger /outdoor knife
10) Dyad JR. ~ C39P&SBG --- sits in my desk and used almost daily (really want one in H1)
"The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stewart Mill
blockster

Post by blockster »

im new here, my favorites are the Manix 2 Xl, Military, Resilience and the Paramilitary 2
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

Evil D is to thank for my favourite so far the vallotton .
I have to add if we didn't pay double what you in the USA pay I'd have a lot more spydercos .
This cost me full mrsp price but I love it why its stylish unique , very well built and more than capable of hard use.
Its as somebody here said a real wolf in Sheeps clothing love mine .

Edit: I know I mention price a lot and its not anything to do with spyderco but the uk tax system.
I think its worth mentioning though as there would be a lot more in the collection of mine and others , this side of the world .
If we didn't have money grabbing politicians grrr :D .
Alnamvet68

Post by Alnamvet68 »

I would have to say that for a "pocket knife" to be truly pocketable, it should have a blade less than 3.25", and an overall closed length of less than 5". That said, insofar as Spyderco's are concerned, I like the Delica's, the Dragonfly, the Rookie, the Flat Iron (If I could just get my hands on one), and any Spydie that has a lock back, fully lined, and preferably in G-10 scales. I do not care for auto knives, semi-auto knives, gravity knives, slip joints, liner locks, or any other lock system.
nccole

Post by nccole »

A few of my favorites are the Chokwe, Southard, Stretch, and Bradley. I prefer that medium-large knife size that most of those fall into. The Chokwe is just very unique and cool. The Southard is the Southard. The Stretch is an awesome slicer and has some of the best ergos, plus its back story with Sal is cool. The Bradley is newer to me, but I really like it so far. Still waiting on my green Pm2 which will be my first, and I bet it will be up there as well.
Invective

Post by Invective »

There are a few knives that somehow keep worming their way back into my pocket. I always seem to want to carry my SE MeerKat Reverse S and G-10 Jester, although the MeerKat has been known to be kicked out of the RFP by either my SB Caly 3/3.5s. I like the patina on my 3.5 a lot more than the one on my 3 so I like carrying it more, and it's much more useful in the kitchen being able to cut through apples and onions in one slice, something the shorter Caly 3 can't do on some larger ones. I also swapped a Dragonfly wire clip onto my 3.5 and anodized it gold, which goes well with the gray G-10. However, I like the size of the Caly 3 more, it just fits my hand better so there's that to deal with too.
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

In my back pocket right now, and my favorite all around EDC, is a Kreined Barong. I also like to carry a Ti Military as it fits the space perfectly and I like the wider handle. Ideally I'll get fatter rounded scales for the Barong one day which will make the great ergos even better. I like the versatility of a 4" blade.

When going into Seattle where there is a 3.5" restriction I'll take my Super Blue Caly 3.5 or a custom slipjoint. Lil' Temp still gets some pocket time as the best 3" back pocket knife.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
Holland

Post by Holland »

Sage 2 --> great ergonomics, great looking, decent steel, and overall a BA knife!
DFly 2 --> perfect little knife for school and around non knife people
Para 2 --> Great work knife, and lover the compression lock and all the sprints
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Much like my fellow virginian stated, favorites change by the day. I looked back on my response from JD's Top 10 and my 10 are only 60% intact. Currently I cannot go a day without one of these three (if not all of them) in my pocket.

Military (sometimes Southard, Gayle Bradley, Para 1, or Manix 2)
Caly Jr. (or some form of Caly)
Kiwi lockback (or Bradley AIR, Dragonfly)
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Holland

Post by Holland »

oh and welcome to the forums!
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

kbuzbee wrote:Currently, it's a Native 5. I'm so loving this knife. The ergos are terrific. It carries well. Big enough to handle most anything but small enough to be convenient.

Ken
Hard to argue with that choice, I love the Native 5 for all the reasons Ken listed. But these days the knife that ends up in my pocket the most is the Techno. There is something intangible about that knife that I love. I recently sold my Techno to buy a Chaparral and after 3 days I sold the Chaparral to get another Techno. When the Techno was absent I carried the Native 5 but now I have a Techno again and all is right with the world.

For larger knives it's a toss up between the Gayle Bradley and the Paramilitary 2.
WorkingEdge

Post by WorkingEdge »

I tried not to buy the Techno but I did. I Tried not to carry it but it's in my pocket now. I thought i would hate the blue spacer but I guess Spyderco knew better as I now love it. Matches my jeans well. It has a "big" blade feel (for me) for such a small knife. Worried about made in Taiwan but oozes quality without a single fault I can find. Love it.
GoodEyeSniper

Post by GoodEyeSniper »

Spyderco Military. I can't imagine a better four inch working man's knife. They pack so much slicey blade into a thin and lightweight handle. The blade shape is superb, and like most spydercos it is angled down, increasing cutting performance for my EDC tasks. And the ergonomics are second to none.

On the other foot is the Spyderco Native FRN. Such a small, lightweight package with surprisingly great ergos with that choil. Perfect running/bicycling knife. Also my first spyderco and has a special place in my heart
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Military, para military 1&2,, Gayle Bradley, SB caly 3.5, Endura.

Not in any particular order.
zed4130

Post by zed4130 »

UKPK for me as stays within UK laws and is a very well made knife as all spydies are,others include dragonfly and a ukpk sized dragonfly would be great and th. Grasshopper,