Chaparral Strength

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
roninair

Chaparral Strength

Post by roninair »

The Chaparral is a great knife size,comfort, and one of the best looking spyderco knives the only problem is how strong is the s30v? I'm afraid to cut a zip tie in case I bend or brake the very thin blade . Has any one broke a blade yet ? I would be real interested in seeing a HD Chaparral with a thick blade but still retaining all of the good looks of the original.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Have you considered a techno?
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Have you considered a techno?
^ What he said. I like the Chaparral, I LOVE the Techno.
wolfgaze

Post by wolfgaze »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Have you considered a techno?
I take it they don't make a Left-handed version? =\
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

As with most things in life, YMMV, but I've cut thick zip ties and the heavy plastic tags stores use on sunglasses with a Chaparral and, back when I was moving, I cut a lot of cardboard, including a good bit of tri-wall, with it as well. Most of that was straight cuts, but there were a couple 14" circles out of tri-wall to protect a clock.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

It's pretty tough. What you wouldn't want to do is put much lateral stress (twisting) through the cut. That said, thin sharp knives don't need much.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Consider how thin the blade is on a typical Case knife and compare that to the Chaparral...it's still quite thick compared to a lot of knives out there. Think about how thin the blade is on a SAK. I wouldn't hesitate to cut a zip tie with those blades. My only concern with cutting zip ties is chipping the edge. That's why I carry a multi tool too.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Kidding right?

Dude the Chaparral is perfect for cutting zip ties. You'll be fine.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

I got some chipping while cutting zip ties, but only on the initial grind/sharpening. Once I took it to the sharpmaker it held up pretty well. Had the same exact experience with the Sage.
USMC RETIRED
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
GoodEyeSniper

Post by GoodEyeSniper »

Can't speak for the Chaparral, but I have the very thin Centofante (2mm), hollow ground with a deliciously thin edge and I did a lot tougher stuff than cutting zip ties.

Only problems came when it came into quick contact with other steel objects. whoops.

edit: not to mention all the super thin traditional slipjoints and Opinels I have put through the ringer.

They're made of steel, not glass. As long as you manage your force wisely it should be more than fine.
jag-engr

Post by jag-engr »

Personally, I have had some bad experiences with using knives to cut zip-ties - nothing to do with blade integrity, though. I much prefer nail clippers or, failing that, scissors for the task.
Lo/Rez

Post by Lo/Rez »

I'll second the multi tool comment/suggestion. The Vic Spirits are especially nice.
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

Cutting technique will be the factor. I've used thinner blades than the Chap to cut worse things.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Lo/Rez wrote:I'll second the multi tool comment/suggestion. The Vic Spirits are especially nice.
I've carried a lot of different multi tools and the Spirit is easily the best I've ever used. My only complaint is it needs better grip texture for wet hands.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David