request for another philanthropy knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
twinboysdad

request for another philanthropy knife

Post by twinboysdad »

Much like the Breast Cancer, Law Enforcement, Save A Child, and other philanthropy themed knives, I am sure we have all had ideas for a new knife. I would like to suggest an Autism Awareness knife. I have a son who is on the autism spectrum mildly. Other members here have pm'ed me sharing they are affected as well. The diagnoses is one in 88 children now so this is a serious and epidemic like disorder. Sal, Eric, Kristi-would you consider making a knife to support this philanthropy? My only two suggestions are that it be Delica size or smaller so that it can be carried daily as a reminder, and that it have the "puzzle piece" logo for Autism Awareness somewhere on the blade. Anybody else interested or have suggestions? I would gift a bunch of these as well.

Jeremy
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

I am all for philanthropy projects, if they are done wisely.

A few years ago there was a gentleman in early stages of grieving for a friend that he lost to cancer that proposed a "Livestrong" collaboration with Spyderco on the forums. I am an avid cyclist (former racer and longtime fan) and saw the writing on the wall about Lance Armstrong back then. I posted that Spyderco would be wise to take a second look at any association with Armstrong; something that in hindsight, proved correct. I took a good bit of misguided grief because of that back then, and many guys thought I was a huge jerk who was against charity and cold-hearted to the trauma of cancer. My concern was that Spyderco's good-hearted effort would be overshadowed by the actions of a fraud.

Based on that I would hope that any charity that Spyderco would become involved with would be focused on the cause and not be fronted by a celebrity talking head. I hope that Spyderco is able to accommodate something along the lines of your request in the near future.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I would fully support this project. How about a C88 (Salt 1) in a unique color with a laser etched puzzle piece on the blade? The 88 to pay homage to the current number being diagnosed as stated in the OP! Maybe 2 different colors of FRN? Blue on one side and Yellow on the other? Just some ideas.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Donut

Post by Donut »

Sounds nice.

Would something like clear/cloudy scales be appropriate for it? I don't know much about autism, maybe someone who knows more would have better ideas.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Knivesinedc

Post by Knivesinedc »

How about a Diabetes research foundation knife. Maybe an orange FRN Dragonfly? i have Diabetes and would love to see that. The kicker is i Got Diabetes on valentines day when i was 7. It was gonna be my valentine whether i wanted it to, or not. :D
Relentless Perseverance in the Face of a Lightless Sky.

Joshua 1:9b "Be strong and courageous, do not be terrified, do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go"
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

Great idea(s). I sincerely hope that this is considered favorably by Spyderco.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I have Diabetes, too. When someone asks me if I want to donate to Diabetes research, I say no figuring that I'm already donating to Diabetes with all the prescriptions and everything. :p
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Rude_Dog_Racing

Post by Rude_Dog_Racing »

Maybe a whole line of philanthropy knives on a small Spyderco platform; cancer, diabetes, autism, Alzheimer's, etc. The pride could be a cool platform for that because of the changeable inserts.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

as the OP, thanks to all for your support. I was also the dork who requested a full sized knife with clear g10 like the Leafstorm. If a knife could be made up with those scales in g10 as the Autism Awareness tribute...I would be amazed. I would think possibly a candidate for a knife with meaning would be the Meerkat since the lock is so unique but works just like a regular backlock and that is very similar to the kids in our population (they can do everything typical kids do, just different). Also maybe a Lil' Temp sprint, because they would sell like hot cakes and would make a nice contribution to the philanthropy at the end of the sale.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

One for underpriveleged spyder dependents?
OldSarSwmr

Post by OldSarSwmr »

I really like the idea of the Meerkat, seems like the perfect knife for this when you describe it the way you did, twinboysdad. I wouldn't be surprised if Spyderco already makes donations to multiple other charities in addition to their philanthropy knives.
:spyder:
Dan
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

bump for Sal, Eric, Ed Schempp, or Kristi