Lil' Matriarch Review

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Rude_Dog_Racing

Lil' Matriarch Review

Post by Rude_Dog_Racing »

In my opinion, the Lil Matriarch is the best knife ever created, for one simple reason… the incredible SD design and cutting ability in a California friendly size (sub-3” in many CA counties). How many formidable self-defense designed knives are available sub-3”? Not too many. There are some choices from some other big name manufacturers, but the ergonomics, handle length, and handle thickness put the Lil Mat in a class all its own.

I have always enjoyed my Endura, Delica, and Byrds but never seriously considered myself a Spyderfreak until the announcement of the Lil Matriarch. I just received mine in the mail, and I have subjected to some pretty hard use and everything about it is just perfect. When purchasing this knife, I planned on it being a dedicated SD blade, but the utility of this knife is completely unmatched. Opening boxes, cutting radiator hose, cutting PVC (it was quite the chore, but it happened), and cutting automotive vacuum hose is a breeze with this little dude. I have to cut a set of spark plug wires to fit my car, and I think the contour of the blade will make the task very simple. I will continue to abuse this knife and report back with any issues, damage, etc.

This knife has replaced my Endura and CRKT M16 for home and shop use, and replaced my Delica for EDC use. Previously, my Delica was my primary EDC and SD blade. SD not being the prime directive of the Delica, I am more than happy to have a SD focused blade in such a small, law-friendly package.

I plan on getting three or four more just to have around. One it the tool box, one in the glove box, two on my person, and one in the drawer for collection purposes. I hope the Lil Mat generates a large enough fan base to warrant continued production.

Sal, if you are reading this, I wouldn’t mind some Lil Mats in OD green, desert, maybe some funky colors (i.e. purple, green, neons), alternate scale materials, plain edge, etc. The only think that I would change about the knife is the opening hole. If it were a little larger, think Endura 4 size, it would be easier to open in a stressful situation.

Spyderco hit pure gold with this wicked little blade.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I would add a wave, like the full-sized Matriarch 2. I really hope they add this. I'm pretty sure there is no downside, and many upsides, especially in a SD-minded knife.

I imagine other changes, such as colorful handles, or a blacked-out blade, or different handle materials/steels, but they're all compromises in one way or another (price, visibility, etc). Really I think the Wave is the only change I would make.

As a fellow Californian, I think I would pick this up over a Matriarch 2 Wave if they were both offered. I carry the 3.5" Stretch 2 regularly, but it'd be nice to know that if I really did have to use a knife in self defense that I was completely within my rights, and hadn't violated any laws.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Rude_Dog_Racing

Wow... I cannot believe the wave slipped my mind. That is an excellent idea!

I think OD green and desert scales would be excellent tactical choices in the proper environment. The funky colored scales would just be a cool bonus. A plain edge would make for an excellent pure utility blade in my opinion. G10 scales would certainly be a useful upgrade too.
BAL

Post by BAL »

Glad that you like the knife. I have thought the same thing before though about
certain knives, meaning I was going to get several since I liked it so well. The
only problem is that there are so many other great Spyderco knives that are
equally as good.

After I got a Para Military a couple years aga, I thought that I would get one of
every possibility (some have), but I opted for some other ones and personally
am glad that I did or I might not have picked ip a GB or Ayoob etc.

I have been looking at the large waved Matriarch, but haven't pulled the trigger
yet.
dragonram7

Post by dragonram7 »

I think Sal heard you. Matriarch with the wave.
Rude_Dog_Racing

The main reason the Lil' Mat had such an impact with me is the CA friendly size and SD capability of the blade. Of course I still want the rest of the Spyderco catalog, the Lil' Mat is at the top of my list because of its unique size and purpose. I really like the Yojimbo and the Paramilitary. Each just being slightly over 3", I may just risk the carry, or modify the blades to length. :)
BAL

Post by BAL »

You could carry a blade over the legal length for years and then one day who knows.
I have never had any LE check a knife of mine, Of course, I have never pulled one
on anyone or used it as such. That's when it would be an issue.

Personally, I prefer plain edge blades for SD, but I now that others have carried a
serrated blade. I think about the SE snagging on clothing. I hope that I never get to
test either out, unless it is on something similar to MJ's porkman.
Rude_Dog_Racing

I really like the idea of a serrated edge for the Matriarch's design, but a plain edge would be a welcome edition to the Lil' Matriarch. I hear you brother, I never want to test my knife wielding abilities, nor the effectiveness of the serrated edge vs. plain edge. I'm going to school for my Master's in Criminal Justice, and I plan on going into law enforcement; therefore, I live a pretty calm life. I've never been in any type of confrontation, and don't plan on it until I wear a badge. At that point, I'll carry a civilian or military.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

For me the Lil Matriarch is just a very handy blade. The shape and tip make opening packages very easy and it's far more interesting than the normally (sorry) boring Delica.

As for defense I suspect it would work great, most knives would given a tenacious person with the intent of not dying. If you are going to become a LEO you might make martial arts/boxing a hobby. Being able to subdue someone without tools is as beneficial for those folks as a computer is to a programmer.
Rude_Dog_Racing

Checking out some Jeet Kun Do, Kickboxing, and other gyms locally today. I like your statement regarding how most knives would work. This is very true. The most effective weapon is the one you have on you. Although it is cool that we are able to buy tools that are designed specifically for use in a self-defense situation, any knife is better than no knife. Of course a gun always wins, but this is the Spyderco forum, not the gun forum. ;)

Quick update. I'm still tearing this knife up just for the sake of testing the durability. I'm not doing anything unreasonable (no batoning (spelling?), not chopping down any trees, etc.). The most difficult chore for this knife was cutting through some PVC. This is completely impractical for almost any knife, but the Lil' Mat made it through with some serious effort. I'll run it through my Sharpmaker in a couple of days. The lock is still nice and tight. I think I'm about done putting this blade through the ringer.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Nice, let us know how it works out for ya :) . I love mine.
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

*Sigh* the Lil' Matriarch is on my list, but I haven't got money :(
Delica PE, Dragonfly Salt SE, Stretch SE, Manbug SE, Mule 16, Sage 1, black/satin PM2, Native 5
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Only carrying two on your person? Why not three? :)

I dunno, I agree with Blerv that any sharp object will do given enough determination but I just can't get over the fact that you can't really stab with this style blade. Slashing and stabbing both get the job done but it's nice to have both options. That's purely from an SD POV. For utility... eh, is this really better than any other serrated hawkbill?
All God's critters have knives.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

zhyla wrote:Only carrying two on your person? Why not three? :)

I dunno, I agree with Blerv that any sharp object will do given enough determination but I just can't get over the fact that you can't really stab with this style blade. Slashing and stabbing both get the job done but it's nice to have both options. That's purely from an SD POV. For utility... eh, is this really better than any other serrated hawkbill?
While at first glance it wouldn't seem so all it takes is about a 10 degree wrist tilt to line the tip up accordingly. Also, depending on what you are stabbing it's not going to slow down much straight on.

My brother and I were talking about that with a Superhawk once with a VERY thick piece of cardboard. Something about "It's a shame you can't stab with it". *fatwunk!* Right through.
Rude_Dog_Racing

zhyla wrote:I just can't get over the fact that you can't really stab with this style blade...is this really better than any other serrated hawkbill?
The tip of the blade on the Lil' Matriarch is straighter than the fullsize. Is it better than any other hawkbill? I think it is. The belly really gives the Lil' Mat a regular knife cutting edge, while the recess, or hawkbill, feature is great for typical hawkbill duties. Although the Lil Mat looks radical, I think it is a perfect knife for someone who isn't familiar with the utility of the hawkbill blade. There again comes my suggestion for a plain edge version. This isn't just a SD knife! It is much more useful than that.
Zeabed

Post by Zeabed »

Rude_Dog_Racing wrote:The tip of the blade on the Lil' Matriarch is straighter than the fullsize. Is it better than any other hawkbill? I think it is. The belly really gives the Lil' Mat a regular knife cutting edge, while the recess, or hawkbill, feature is great for typical hawkbill duties. Although the Lil Mat looks radical, I think it is a perfect knife for someone who isn't familiar with the utility of the hawkbill blade. There again comes my suggestion for a plain edge version. This isn't just a SD knife! It is much more useful than that.
I have a Lil' Matriarch and agree with your view of it as a very good multi-use blade, a feature that is aided by the reduction in size and other particulars mentioned (belly, shape of hawkbill, handle, etc.).
TomH

Post by TomH »

I too would like to see this offered in both waved (Emerson opener) and plain edge versions. Also, I've tired cutting both stiff and loose materials with this knife. It cut right through them without catching. This is only limited testing. Had some material lying around so thouight I'd test the Lil' Mat out.
BAL

Post by BAL »

Rude_Dog_Racing wrote:I really like the idea of a serrated edge for the Matriarch's design, but a plain edge would be a welcome edition to the Lil' Matriarch. I hear you brother, I never want to test my knife wielding abilities, nor the effectiveness of the serrated edge vs. plain edge. I'm going to school for my Master's in Criminal Justice, and I plan on going into law enforcement; therefore, I live a pretty calm life. I've never been in any type of confrontation, and don't plan on it until I wear a badge. At that point, I'll carry a civilian or military.
Congrats and thanks for your career choice, it's a tough life.
"Dang" glad that there are those that choose it.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I spent a few hours turning a Lil Matriarch into a plain edge, and gifted it. I think Doc Snubnose has the only Plain Edge version of this knife.

I am about half way through the one I was doing for myself, but haven't touched it in about 5-6 months. I wouldn't mind getting a production one for a user.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Donut

Post by Donut »

While we're dreaming, why not a Reverse S plain edge Native 5 and Caly 3? I was thinking G-10 Lil Matriarch with a wire clip, but that's basically a Caly.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!