Delica 4 in G10 and in Micarta

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Would You Like Aditional Scale Options for the Delica 4?

Yes -G10
33%
Yes - Micarta
13%
Yes - Both
43%
No - FRN & metal scales are fine as is
10%

Total votes: 99

Alnamvet68

Delica 4 in G10 and in Micarta

Post by Alnamvet68 »

First post, and first thread. This is a poll to assess how many would like to see the Delica 4 be re-issued in Foilage Green G10, as well as in a Micarta offering. I was slow on the uptake when the G10 model came out, and while I love my FRN model, the G10 seems to be of a heftier and more solid piece.
c11642

Post by c11642 »

Yes the foliage green delica is my dream knife & none are available. I would love that or micarta :)
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

No interest myself, but there are a couple things I think those who are should keep in mind. While all of my micarta handled Spydercos have been totally stable, Sal has expressed reluctance to use it due to shrinkage issues, so micarta is unlikely. G-10 would be more feasible but I have to wonder how many would be willing to pay the price. Back in 2009 the G-10 Delica cost twice as much as the FRN version. IMHO, there's no reason to believe that relationship would have changed. If I'm correct, you'd be looking at a $210 MSRP and average US street prices between $118 - $127.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
ViperGTS

Post by ViperGTS »

When i think of a 'nicer' Delica, the Caly 3 G10 comes to mind. Too bad it's gone.

Try out the Caly 3 CF version. Very similar to a Delica and may have that extra F&F you're looking for.
Alnamvet68

Post by Alnamvet68 »

Having both a linen micarta grip set on one of my hard use Colt 1911's, as well as a G10 set on a Commander, both which see very hard use weekly, and seeing as there is a lot more "material", if you will, of these two grip panels as opposed to the amount of material used for say, a Delica, and lastly, seeing as the grips on both of my 1911's cost less then $50.00 for each set, I would have to say that the additional cost of a G10 or micarta offering for a Delica would or should only raise the street price by about $30.00 tops. I'm more inclined to think that a street price of a Delica in G10 and/or micarta would be less then $95.00, if that.
Prospero

Post by Prospero »

Alnamvet68 wrote:Having both a linen micarta grip set on one of my hard use Colt 1911's, as well as a G10 set on a Commander, both which see very hard use weekly, and seeing as there is a lot more "material", if you will, of these two grip panels as opposed to the amount of material used for say, a Delica, and lastly, seeing as the grips on both of my 1911's cost less then $50.00 for each set, I would have to say that the additional cost of a G10 or micarta offering for a Delica would or should only raise the street price by about $30.00 tops. I'm more inclined to think that a street price of a Delica in G10 and/or micarta would be less then $95.00, if that.
The cost of the G10 is only one cost factor: the original G10 Delica had full steel liners under the G10 (not inserts) and a steel backspacer, which required a bit more finish work. I agree with Deacon on the price range: I see $110 as the minimum this would come to market at, and that's being very conservative. In all honesty, I'd still buy one...I love this knife and was extremely disappointed I got into knives just after these were disco'd.......
APS

Post by APS »

Alnamvet68 wrote:I'm more inclined to think that a street price of a Delica in G10 and/or micarta would be less then $95.00, if that.
The last G10 Delica had a street price of ~$110, if I remember correctly? The G10 Dragonfly is around $85 right now. I'd consider buying one if it was ~$100 but it probably couldn't come under that price.
Adam
CarbonFiberNut

Post by CarbonFiberNut »

I really only seem to enjoy micarta on fixed blade knives. I'm not quite sure why that is, but I've noticed consistently that I vastly prefer G10, FRN, and of course Carbon Fiber on my pocket knives.
Alnamvet68

Post by Alnamvet68 »

Prospero wrote:The cost of the G10 is only one cost factor: the original G10 Delica had full steel liners under the G10 (not inserts) and a steel backspacer, which required a bit more finish work. I agree with Deacon on the price range: I see $110 as the minimum this would come to market at, and that's being very conservative. In all honesty, I'd still buy one...I love this knife and was extremely disappointed I got into knives just after these were disco'd.......
In that case, I would gladly pay even more for a Delica with full steel liners, steel backspace...such a Delica I would pay $125.00 for.
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

I pickup a G10 Delica up after being on the fence for awhile and was absoultely glad, I did. It is one of my most used. I was hoping the Super Blue sprint would come out with the G10 handles and full iners but no luck.

I'm in for both.
Prospero

Post by Prospero »

For the purposes of this poll, I voted G10 version but the FRN versions are great in their own right. I'm eagerly awaiting the SuperBlue sprint also; for me, the Delica is becoming a sort of "quick and dirty" mule team alternative, being able to sample (a few) different steels without investing time or money in new scales. I'd like to see more steel options in the future. :rolleyes:
Holland

Post by Holland »

welcome to the forums! wouldnt mind seeing a sprint in those scales, but frn serves me just fine
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Gunslinger

Post by Gunslinger »

The Deacon wrote:No interest myself, but there are a couple things I think those who are should keep in mind. While all of my micarta handled Spydercos have been totally stable, Sal has expressed reluctance to use it due to shrinkage issues, so micarta is unlikely. G-10 would be more feasible but I have to wonder how many would be willing to pay the price. Back in 2009 the G-10 Delica cost twice as much as the FRN version. IMHO, there's no reason to believe that relationship would have changed. If I'm correct, you'd be looking at a $210 MSRP and average US street prices between $118 - $127.
$118 - $127 for a g10 Delica, I'll buy 2
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Alnamvet68

Post by Alnamvet68 »

Gunslinger wrote:$118 - $127 for a g10 Delica, I'll buy 2
I'll take three. ;)
sharpguitarist

Post by sharpguitarist »

Hey guys,
I have the fg g10 D4 and fg g10 E4, and both are like custom versions of the frn versions.
I paid just over $100 for the Delica, and was lucky enough to score the Endura for $70 on closeout.
They were both well worth the price I paid, and would buy both again.
Both models come up on the fs/ ft boards from time to time. You just have to keep an eye out for them.
Good luck to anyone searching for either, they're well worth the pursuit.
Later,
Don
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, even if it is wrong.:rolleyes:
calemerson

Post by calemerson »

I would buy at least 1 maybe 2 if there were more color options. I picked up a set of g10 aftermarket scales for a delica and the fit and finish is awful. I am almost ashamed to leave the scales on that fine delica knife. I just have not got around to taking them off. It was a waste of 55 or 60 bucks.
Thanks
Calemerson
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Just get a a pimper to make you a set or two of the scales you want. Problem solved.
BAL

Post by BAL »

psssst...hey Chuck... where does an out of towner go around here to find a good pimper.
I'm lookin for a nice curvy set of scales too, no thick scales, color doesn't matter.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

BAL wrote:psssst...hey Chuck... where does an out of towner go around here to find a good pimper.
I'm lookin for a nice curvy set of scales too, no thick scales, color doesn't matter.
I'm not one who pimps my knives but I hear Cuscadi and tuffthumbz do mean jobs of making aftermarket scales. :D
Alnamvet68

Post by Alnamvet68 »

Finally, found my Dragonfly G-10's bigger brother at, of all places, the local 5.11 store. While I buy much of my hard use wear at the 5.11 store locally, I rarely, if ever noticed their knife counter. As I was paying for a pair of shorts and a couple of shirts, the salesman gives me a "collector" 5.11 made in China knife and says they are free, as well as advising me that everything in the store was 20% off. I said that I wasn't really aware they had knives made for them, he said they sell quite a few knives and directed me to the glass case with the knives. Lo and behold, I see a pair of Spyderco Delica's in foliage green G-10, marked $125.00 each. I asked how much if I take both, and he said there is a 20% discount, and that he won't charge sales tax. I took them both, and as the saying goes, the rest is history.