Spyderco Urban dead? Why Sal, Why?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
tea

Spyderco Urban dead? Why Sal, Why?

Post by tea »

Why Sal, Why?

I see the Spyderco Urban listed as discontinued. I am really disappointed to see such a great knife come to its end.

What about the once spoken of FRN version? What about one with a lockback (my endless plea!)?

This was the perfect knife. No other can replace it for me. Great ergonomics, superbly balanced leaf blade. Not too big, not too small.

My Caly3 is a work of art, but, I always found it just a bit too big. I simply go fixed at that size now.

Then came the Urban.

No other knife has been used more.

Why Sal? Why?

All I want is an Urban C.Q.I.:
- Absolutely the same shape handle and blade! It is perfect!
- Keep the VG-10: Spyderco and VG10 is a combination that shouldn't be messed with!
- FRN handles and stainless skeleton liners: Another great design!
- Lockback: David Boyle dent.
- And the ol' reliable wire clip

With the endless variations of Spyderco's am I asking too much? If only free Slipits could be given out! The public wasn't ready for the Urban, and the lack of lock may have turned off some to this excellent all around knife. I took the risk, and the Slipit has never failed me. Nevertheless, lockback's are preferred, even if they kill the 'Urban' angle... where was I?

Right!

Why Sal, Why? Why the Urban?

Sal let me know what is in the future! I need to know: Do I buy all the Urban's I can find or calm down and wait for the next generation?

Be honest, you'll get my money either way :D
araneae

Post by araneae »

There is generally one reason for discontinuing a model, poor sales. It has been a while since the Urbans were disco'd and they are still lingering at some dealers.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

There are so many models in the works and on the shelves. I don't think it's asking too much also don't see much of a hole in the product line. I know it's not the same but what do you think about the Cat?
Douglas

Post by Douglas »

I made my own locking Urban out of a Caly 3 SE with a bunch of mangled serrations. Haven't carried anything else since.
Michael Cook

Post by Michael Cook »

the Lil' Temperance was dico'd for bad sales and it was the best knife ever made. Spyderco is a business and it's decisions can't be made based on love of a model.
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

Michael Cook wrote:the Lil' Temperance was dico'd for bad sales and it was the best knife ever made. Spyderco is a business and it's decisions can't be made based on love of a model.
Hopefully the world is ready for a sprint with skeletonized liners :D My CPM 440V leaf is in my right front pocket as I type
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Michael Cook wrote:the Lil' Temperance was dico'd for bad sales and it was the best knife ever made.
Certainly great knife
NoFair wrote:Hopefully the world is ready for a sprint with skeletonized liners :D
+1
I do not mind to change clip as well, but keep everything the same, including the color of G10.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Donut

Post by Donut »

tea wrote: Do I buy all the Urban's I can find or calm down and wait for the next generation?
I say do both. :)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
ASmitty

Post by ASmitty »

Personally, I just don't think it was different enough from the UK Penknife for most folks.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a danish."

Quietly lurking the Spyderco forum since 2003...
hellomcfly

Post by hellomcfly »

I thought the wharncliffe bladed version was a great looking knife. Have they ever put that blade on a locking knife? I'd pick up a Caly3 with wharncliffe blade in an interesting G10 color.
BAL

Post by BAL »

Funny, because I'd have to look at a picture to see what the Urban even looked like.
Might be one reason that it didn't sell well. I agre that there are good knives that get
discontinued though. Sometimes it's because there are other knives one that are close
and they sell better.
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Like the OP I too have discovered the Urban's advantages and usefulness. A well built 3 mm thick, double distal 2-1/4" cutting edge VG-10 Spyderco Leaf blade with a very nice feeling handle. Perfect for everyday and completely one handed operating :)

One of my favorites :) Here's a picture Bal :)
Attachments
ub 001.jpg
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
tea

Post by tea »

Michael Cook wrote:Spyderco is a business and it's decisions can't be made based on love of a model.
Yeah, but I feel better now that I let it all out.
ASmitty wrote:Personally, I just don't think it was different enough from the UK Penknife for most folks.
They are completely different, slip lock aside. I have a Caly3 and I haven't looked at it since buying the Urban. Not that I'm actually disagreeing with your observation. You're probably right.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I love my Urbans (though I don't carry them very much). My orange Urban has the strongest slipjoint lock I've ever experienced. When I have to travel where I need a small, non-locking knife, the Urbans are my first choice.
:bug-red-white
God'sMyJudge

Post by God'sMyJudge »

isnt the cat a locking urban?
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I love the Urban. I think that it is the best slip joint that spyderco makes...the green g10 version at least.

And once I have paid off a couple customs that I have on the way, I will be hunting down another one so that I can carry it every day because it is just that dang good!
On the hunt for...
Buddha UK

Post by Buddha UK »

I have 3 Urbans and the Mrs has one too, we absolutely love them. Have a lot of UKPKs also and am very much looking forward to the Native Slipit. I don't own a Native yet but between the Urban and the UKPK I much prefer the look of the Urbans handle to the more rounded one on the UKPK. The slightly smaller blade of the Urban is a little NKP friendlier yet big enough for EDC at least here in the UK though.
I would LOVE to see an Urban Sprint run, Ti and damasteel would IMHO make the perfect gents EDC.
Maybe even a H1 Sprint for the harder user.
Spyderco make/have made many great knives, whenever something amazing is discontinued I console myself with the knowledge that something else will take the crown sooner or later!
That and Sprint runs. :-)
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

+1:d
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
jackthedog

Post by jackthedog »

A carbon fiber Urban would be very nice indeed. I have one and while I don't carry it often, it is a fantastic knife that can take a very good edge.
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

I have nearly bought the Wharncliff bladed Urban so many time I have lost count. What stopped me each time was the fairly high price in relation to the many other cheaper slip-jointed Spyderco knives, like the Squeak. I'd really love to see the Wharncliff shaped blade on the cheaper, FRN handle and I'd snap one up :)
My spydies: Squeak, Tenacious, Terzuola, D'Allara, UKPK CF peel-ply pre-production, UKPK CF smooth pre-production, UKPK G10 orange leaf-blade, UKPK FRN grey drop-point, UKPK FRN maroon leaf-blade, Bug ... all PE blades :)