Updated Gayle Bradley?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
78lilred

Post by 78lilred »

At the same time look how many posts/threads have been started over hard use, I may be blind but haven't seen someone say they slipped and got cut due to choil design. I've processed a few deer with mine and never slipped.
M390 Para2, CTS-XHP Para2, CTS-204P Para2, Gayle Bradley, Techno, Bob T Slipit, M390 Mule, Southard, Southfork, Air, Tuff, ZDP Caly 3.5.
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

78lilred wrote:At the same time look how many posts/threads have been started over hard use, I may be blind but haven't seen someone say they slipped and got cut due to choil design. I've processed a few deer with mine and never slipped.
My gayle Bradley is my most carried and used knife by far. Never slipped (knock on wood). I think it just comes down to people over thinking
Zenith

Post by Zenith »

The original design IMO fits the philosophy of what Gayle Bradley wanted to create IMO.

Look at his comments here:

[video=youtube;Qk0IxU-fuW4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qk0IxU-fuW4[/video]
"If you wish to live and thrive, let the spider run alive"
"the perfect knife is the one in your hand, you should just learn how to use it."
If you don't have anything good to say, then don't say anything at all

My Youtube knife use videos and more: http://www.youtube.com/user/mwvanwyk/videos
Knife makers directory: http://www.knifemakersdirectory.com/
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I like the prototype more than the current version.
DallasSTB

Post by DallasSTB »

After talking to Gayle at our little knife show in Dallas this last weekend, I got the impression that the only other folder that he and Spyderco worked on is the new Air. The only other collabs he mentioned that were in the works involved something a little different.
"The edge is a wonderous thing." - Sal
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Well the folks at Spyderco need to get working on it with him then! GB collabs are some of the best ever Spydercos!
On the hunt for...
Holland

Post by Holland »

ive been trying to hold off on the GB, but that updated version would be a must buy
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Holland wrote:ive been trying to hold off on the GB, but that updated version would be a must buy
You need to try out a GB that's at 30° or less ... :)
Raylas

Post by Raylas »

I'd love to see a GB in full SE and M390! I'd buy one as it stands, but anything that's not stainless tends to put me off.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Raylas wrote:I'd love to see a GB in full SE and M390! I'd buy one as it stands, but anything that's not stainless tends to put me off.
It wouldn't be a bradley for me if it wasn't in M4. I also wouldn't like an SE M4 because I like the screaming edge M4 takes.

And this thread needs pics.

BAL

Post by BAL »

Raylas wrote:I'd love to see a GB in full SE and M390! I'd buy one as it stands, but anything that's not stainless tends to put me off.
That's what I thought until I got the GB M4. I changed my mind. A little Tuffglide on the blade
and it's good to go. It been carried regularly (in my pocket now) for a over a year and it looks
as good as the day I bought it. I wipe it off after it gets wet and like Chuck said - screaming edge.
BAL

Post by BAL »

Jazz wrote:Though I'm a big fan of Spyderco's choils, the GB's is what kept me from buying it. It just looks too dangerous - not enough protection from slippage. The new one looks way safer. Might have to have that one. The current one is beautiful, but I just don't know.
Hey Jazz, I have heard you comment on the choil and the GB being dangerous.
I understand exactly what you are saying, but I have never had an issue with this
knife and I have used it quite a bit over the past year plus.

Most of the cutting that I do is pulling or even if it is a push cut it is more of a motion
where the blade is more perpendicular to the the object being cut, rather than a stabbing
type motion where your finger would slip onto the blade.

I had actually never even thought of this knife being dangerous until I had heard someone
(maybe it was you even) say something about it earlier on here. Of course, you know how
it goes, I say this, you buy one, and the next day you cut your finger in half.

I just figure that if it was designed by Ed Bradley, a knife cutting champion, and I notice
that he still has all of his digits, then I can work with it.

No big deal, I just thought that I would say something. It's one of my favorite knives.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

I mostly used two knives while we were building my house last year. It was the fixed VECP and the GB. I used both a lot during the construction. I did a lot of hard cutting with wood where I had to white knuckle the knife. I didn't have to stab anything though.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Even though I'm cautious with knives and rarely (not never :) ) cut myself, it just doesn't sit well with me. Everything else about the knife seems great, even the thick liner lock, but that part of the knife is all that's kept me from it. I wish I could handle one for a bit. I can plainly see it's beautiful.
- best wishes, Jazz.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Jazz wrote:Even though I'm cautious with knives and rarely (not never :) ) cut myself, it just doesn't sit well with me. Everything else about the knife seems great, even the thick liner lock, but that part of the knife is all that's kept me from it. I wish I could handle one for a bit. I can plainly see it's beautiful.
That's what stopped me from getting it for a long time but my desire to try M4 pushed me into getting one. As soon as I got it, I immediately got another as backup.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

You guys are killing me! :)
- best wishes, Jazz.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

We're enablers here. :)
78lilred

Post by 78lilred »

Since chuck posted a picture I'll throw one up, not pretty and shiny though. DMT fine finish.
M390 Para2, CTS-XHP Para2, CTS-204P Para2, Gayle Bradley, Techno, Bob T Slipit, M390 Mule, Southard, Southfork, Air, Tuff, ZDP Caly 3.5.
BAL

Post by BAL »

[quote="Jazz"]You guys are killing me! :) [/QUOTE

Pssst, hey buddy, yeah you Jazz, look over here, see what I got,
ain't she a beauty, look how the light dances off the carbon fiber,
notice how the liner sticks outside the CF, classic, and that blade,
she'll cut forever, not another one like it… and did I tell how Gail
Bradley is a champion cutter… from Texas, and this is the one that
he designed, his pride and joy… and Chuck likes it, it doesn’t get
any better than that.
DallasSTB

Post by DallasSTB »

BAL wrote:
Jazz wrote:You guys are killing me! :)
Pssst, hey buddy, yeah you Jazz, look over here, see what I got,
ain't she a beauty, look how the light dances off the carbon fiber,
notice how the liner sticks outside the CF, classic, and that blade,
she'll cut forever, not another one like it… and did I tell how Gail
Bradley is a champion cutter… from Texas, and this is the one that
he designed, his pride and joy… and Chuck likes it, it doesn’t get
any better than that.
I got to handle that M4 cutter at Gayle's table too. It was very, very cool. If you ever get a chance to talk to the man, take advantage of the opportunity - it's worth every second.

Of course I couldn't leave his table empty-handed......

"The edge is a wonderous thing." - Sal