Delica 4 / Native 5 Comparison

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
senorsquare

Delica 4 / Native 5 Comparison

Post by senorsquare »

This has probably been done before but I thought it would be interesting to post a couple of photos comparing my first Spyderco, the Delica 4 to my most recent(but definitely not the last), the Native 5:

Blade length about the same, ergos similar but I give the edge to the N5 with its 50/50 choil.
Untitled by senorsquare, on Flickr

I really appreciate the profile of the Native 5. To me the carry is really where the N5 shines compared to the Delica. The shorter handle and the narrower blade due to the lack of the thumb ramp help the N5 carry nicely in the pocket.

The Native 5 is a wee bit thicker and heavier than the Delica but the difference to me is negligible and is more than made up for with the bank vault like feel of the Native.

I feel like the Native 5 is the ultimate evolution and refinement of one of the all-time greats, the Delica. The Delica is a great knife and one of my favorites, but the Native 5 to me is a big step beyond. I can see why they chose this platform for the forum knife.
Shakyamuni

Post by Shakyamuni »

Nice deep carry clip there!

I like the Delica and Native on principal, but my criteria for blade length is that it must be able to reach across an apple, and unfortunately these two fail that test. But between the two, I definitely give the nod to the Native 5!
BigBill5953

Post by BigBill5953 »

I like the clip! You do it yourself?
-Billy

Centofante 3|Brown FFG Delica 4|Persistence|Sharpmaker & UF rods|SS Kiwi|Manbug SE|Blue UKPK SE Leaf|Calypso Jr. FRN|Blue Dodo SE|Centofante 3|Grasshopper|Tan Ladybug Salt|Rookie Sprint|

bammann45 wrote:In Los Angeles we have roaming packs of carnivorous tortoises. I am glad we finally have a folder that can punch through their shells.
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

BigBill5953 wrote:I like the clip! You do it yourself?
It's an extra clip from a Techno. I mounted it using the existing screws,
donutsrule

Post by donutsrule »

senorsquare wrote:It's an extra clip from a Techno. I mounted it using the existing screws,
Well, I'm impressed. When/if I get a forum Native, I'll have to look into that. :cool:
bh49

Post by bh49 »

senorsquare,

I am with you. Delica is a great knife, but Native5 works much better for me. I like your idea with wire clip and will try to do the same tonight. Low riding wire clip on Native5 will make it perfect knife for me. Thank you for sharing
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

The deep carry clip puts the Native and Paramilitary over the top in my opinion. I had to bend the tips of the wire a little to get them to slide between the screws and then tighten the crap out of it to keep the clip from rolling to the side. I did not modify the G10 at all.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Be careful over torquing those screws. Not too hard to strip them.

Ken
玉鋼
Donut

Post by Donut »

I wonder if we'll see the Delica with lock improvements. It was said that the Native 5 includes a revised back lock to improve on it.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
ZL1

Post by ZL1 »

+1 for Native loving
My brother has a Delica 4 and he HAD to have my Native 5 when he saw it
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

Do you feel that you don't have enough handle length on the Native in comparisons to the Delica? When in hand I mean.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

KardinalSyn wrote:Do you feel that you don't have enough handle length on the Native in comparisons to the Delica? When in hand I mean.
It has plenty of handle for me and using the choil the native has all the grip a feller could want and then some. If I have to back off the choil I can still get a good 4 finger grip.
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

senorsquare wrote:It has plenty of handle for me and using the choil the native has all the grip a feller could want and then some. If I have to back off the choil I can still get a good 4 finger grip.
Thanks for the info. That's what I was afraid of.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
CaptainTim

Post by CaptainTim »

Can't believe I didn't see this thread until just now. Thanks for posting the pics comparing the Delica and the Native. After EDCing a Delica for awhile, I was first attracted to the Native because of its similar size, and the fact that the Delica is not available with G-10. Both are great EDCs, however!
BAL

Post by BAL »

Yeah, I just saw this thread for the first time as well. Nice work on the comparision.
I like to see two similar knives pictured and compared together. I haven't picked up
the Native 5 yet, (waiting on forum) but it has been on my list since long before it
ever came out.

Something about the pictures (to buy the N5) didn't 'overwhelm' me to where I 'had'
to have it. There was always another one that would beat it out. Who knows, if I can
get teh forum knife, I might have to jump back and pick up a regular N5 to 'use'.
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

The Native 5 has a kind of unassuming excellence. It's not a flashy design but I think a lot of folks who have never tried the N5 are going to be pleasantly surprised when they get the forum knife.
BAL

Post by BAL »

senorsquare wrote:The Native 5 has a kind of unassuming excellence. It's not a flashy design but I think a lot of folks who have never tried the N5 are going to be pleasantly surprised when they get the forum knife.
I agree with that, that's a great way to describe it. And actually, that is exactly what I like in a knife.
I don't need anything too flashy, but I like results. Not that I don't like the bling or sweet CF, but
for a work knife, the N5 might be the ticket.

THe problem is that I won't work the Forum knife, just cut hair on the arm and leg and slice paper
here and there. Maybe I'll get a scratch on it and then throw caution to the wind.
(Or just get a regular N5)
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

BAL wrote:I agree with that, that's a great way to describe it. And actually, that is exactly what I like in a knife.
I don't need anything too flashy, but I like results. Not that I don't like the bling or sweet CF, but
for a work knife, the N5 might be the ticket.

THe problem is that I won't work the Forum knife, just cut hair on the arm and leg and slice paper
here and there. Maybe I'll get a scratch on it and then throw caution to the wind.
(Or just get a regular N5)
Handling the forum knife should let you know if you want to drop some bones on a regular N5. All in all I feel like the regular N5 is a pretty good bang for the buck.
GoodEyeSniper

Post by GoodEyeSniper »

KardinalSyn wrote:Do you feel that you don't have enough handle length on the Native in comparisons to the Delica? When in hand I mean.
I know he already answered, but I just wanted to chime in that I actually find the Delica to not have enough handle compared to the native. the handle and choil design of the native really give an unreal grip for its size.

if you need a smallish Edc you really can't get much better than the native IMO. though I still favor the frn version over the native 5.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

senorsquare wrote:Handling the forum knife should let you know if you want to drop some bones on a regular N5. All in all I feel like the regular N5 is a pretty good bang for the buck.
I doubt that I would buy regular Native5, if I had option to buy Forum Native first,especially two of them. The Forum knife will be just $30 more than regular and you getting serious upgrade on steel and IMHO scales are better looking.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian