2013 Spyderco Forum Knife Native5 - C41GPGR5

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Fresh Eddie Fresh

Post by Fresh Eddie Fresh »

Evil D wrote:I will absolutely use mine. No other point in owning it for me.
I feel this way about every knife! The only time I get backups are if I have a knife I use and carry enough that I would be upset if I lost it.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

xceptnl wrote:Thank you both for your concerns. The 8 lb. mini doxie had a positive outcome from surgery #1 today and her hip is plated back together. The 2 femurs will be pinned back together tomorrow. She should make an almost 100% recovery
this is good to hear. What kind of mini doxie she is? My boss and his sister own four of them and at any given day two of them running in the office. Three of them very friendly and the last hates all males, except her owner and his sons :rolleyes: I wonder why
FCM415 wrote:There are plenty of those I am sure. In my case, I was content with reading and learning without an account for the longest.
agree. I was reading this forum daily for at least a six month before I joined.
macatac wrote:
First of all, I have been reading and learning about knives, steels, design, etc on this site for almost 2 years now. I don't ask questions, because most of the time the answers can be found by using the search button, which most folks appreciate.
Second, since I am still learning, don't feel I have a lot to add to many of the conversations here.
macatac
I completely understand your what your are saying. I respect and appreciate your approach. I can only wish that some forum members learn from you.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

bh49 wrote:this is good to hear. What kind of mini doxie she is? My boss and his sister own four of them and at any given day two of them running in the office. Three of them very friendly and the last hates all males, except her owner and his sons :rolleyes: I wonder why
She is the sweetest short-hair doxie around. Great personality and generally gets along with most people and other dogs. Not to derail the thread, but here's a pic.

sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Fresh Eddie Fresh wrote:I feel this way about every knife! The only time I get backups are if I have a knife I use and carry enough that I would be upset if I lost it.
Don't get me wrong I would love to own a backup of every knife I own but they would still all get used. I would rotate both copies of the same knife to distribute wear.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Fresh Eddie Fresh

Post by Fresh Eddie Fresh »

Evil D wrote:Don't get me wrong I would love to own a backup of every knife I own but they would still all get used. I would rotate both copies of the same knife to distribute wear.
That is actually a smarter way of doing it than me... I guess I just try to forget about the backup until I need it, and then it is like "Ooooh! New knife!" Haha... of course, it has backfired with me buying flashlights. Sometimes I buy a backup, never use it, and then by the time I need it, it is outdated.

Luckily, knives are generally all classically pointy... you just get better steel and green handles from time to time! :)
Zencowboy

Post by Zencowboy »

Yaba Dabba DOOO That is a Sweet Knife and Will get one for sure. Thanks Spyderco!
Fancier

Another vote for user!

Post by Fancier »

I'm always looking for a more wear resistant cardboard slicer, and I really like the Native 5 S35VN, so if I can get one I'll use it to break down cardboard boxes at work.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

BAL wrote:Also, just curious, if you get a forum knife, are you going to carry it, carry it and not use it for tough tasks safe queen it. Keep it at home at look at and think about it for a while, take it out and whack away at that willow tree that has gotten out of hand.
I already have a user Native 5, the one Gull Wing was kind enough to fit out with Mexican Ebony scales for me. Can't seen green G-10 or any other man made scale material eclipsing that, so this one will be a display piece. Not to mention that, generally speaking, I see forum knives as collectibles rather than tools, but that's just my opinion. That said, I do have a user 2009 Forum Native that I carry when I'm walking on the Furman University campus since purple is their school color. :)
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

I have a 2009 Forum Native also, I was fortunate enough to join the forum just a short while before its availability was announced. I carry and use it some, but so little that I haven't had to sharpen it enough times to wear the "web" markings off the very edge of the grind.

I'll definitely carry and use this one, though I don't plan to chop or "baton" with it, I prefer a longer, fixed blade for that, but I'll do plenty of carving/whittling. Kind of how I feel about my fluted Ti Native - I use it, but it's so beautiful I take care not to bang or scratch it up -- I'm pretty clumsy, and have dropped more than one knife in the parking lot :( .

I figure there's no point in it being a really super steel if it just sits on a shelf, might as well be made of soft gold :) .
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
rcbalt2

Post by rcbalt2 »

Wow I came late to the party. This will be my first forum knife I didn't have funds for the last 3. Thank you Sal and crew for doing this. I've been away from the boards for awhile but still lurk occasionally.
There ain't no rules around here. We're trying to accomplish something.
- Thomas Edison
BigBill5953

Post by BigBill5953 »

Are these going to have the serial number on the blade. Like 1 of XXX or like 135 of XXX?
-Billy

Centofante 3|Brown FFG Delica 4|Persistence|Sharpmaker & UF rods|SS Kiwi|Manbug SE|Blue UKPK SE Leaf|Calypso Jr. FRN|Blue Dodo SE|Centofante 3|Grasshopper|Tan Ladybug Salt|Rookie Sprint|

bammann45 wrote:In Los Angeles we have roaming packs of carnivorous tortoises. I am glad we finally have a folder that can punch through their shells.
BAL

Post by BAL »

BigBill5953 wrote:Are these going to have the serial number on the blade. Like 1 of XXX or like 135 of XXX?
No, they never have.

Update , see Deacon's post, I do remember seeing #'s on some of them .

Personally, I don't like the numbers, but it's no big deal one way or the other.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

BigBill5953 wrote:Are these going to have the serial number on the blade. Like 1 of XXX or like 135 of XXX?
Some of the older ones had it, the more recent ones didn't. I'd say that, with the exception of the CC#d ones, probably not. But there's no way to know for sure unless one of the Spydercrew chooses to tell us yea or nay.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

The Deacon wrote:Some of the older ones had it, the more recent ones didn't. I'd say that, with the exception of the CC#d ones, probably not. But there's no way to know for sure unless one of the Spydercrew chooses to tell us yea or nay.
Nay. Deacon is correct, the only numbers will be for the Collector's Club members.
There is nothing more important than this one day.
BigBill5953

Post by BigBill5953 »

The Deacon wrote:Some of the older ones had it, the more recent ones didn't. I'd say that, with the exception of the CC#d ones, probably not. But there's no way to know for sure unless one of the Spydercrew chooses to tell us yea or nay.
TazKristi wrote:Nay. Deacon is correct, the only numbers will be for the Collector's Club members.
Thanks Deacon and Kristi.
-Billy

Centofante 3|Brown FFG Delica 4|Persistence|Sharpmaker & UF rods|SS Kiwi|Manbug SE|Blue UKPK SE Leaf|Calypso Jr. FRN|Blue Dodo SE|Centofante 3|Grasshopper|Tan Ladybug Salt|Rookie Sprint|

bammann45 wrote:In Los Angeles we have roaming packs of carnivorous tortoises. I am glad we finally have a folder that can punch through their shells.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

TazKristi wrote:Nay.
Nay? I LOVE "nay"! Thanks Taz!

Ken
玉鋼
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

They can put all the numbers they want on it as long there is an "S110V" stamp on the blade.
BAL

Post by BAL »

Nay is good, thanx Kristi.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Nay is right up there with "yea verily" ;)

Ken
玉鋼
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Unless it's really "neigh!!!!" ;)