2013 Spyderco Forum Knife Native5 - C41GPGR5

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
curdog

Post by curdog »

I have no problem with post count or length of time as a member but I hardly ever
post just like to read everything and I have a few spydercos and will only order
1 fourm knife when available
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

It's simply not practical for Spyderco to do this - too many man hours.

Instead I propose we address the problem ourselves. All of us who can, buy two forum knives. After deliveries we start a thread where those that want them but missed the buying window, post. Those of us with a second knife, pick someone off the thread according to seniority or whatever criteria you choose and offer them a forum knife for your cost via PM. When transaction is agreed to, poster edits to show that he/she now has one on the way.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
GTPowers

Post by GTPowers »

If it is an condolence to those who have been here for ages....I've been on short of a year and feel guilty for wanting to try to nab one. This forum knife is an honor not a privilege. I feel blessed at the opportunity alone!

EDIT: that was post 100...lol :p
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I hope the irreverent and crass behavior exhibited by some doesn't sully this forum knife for those of us who regularly visit and contribute in the respectful manner that makes this forum so great. Coming here and being blatantly disrespectful to Sal and the whole crew is unbelievably gauche and embarrassing. :(
:bug-red-white
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

gbelleh wrote:I hope the irreverent and crass behavior exhibited by some doesn't sully this forum knife for those of us who regularly visit and contribute in the respectful manner that makes this forum so great. Coming here and being blatantly disrespectful to Sal and the whole crew is unbelievably gauche and embarrassing. :(
I agree. I think it is also fair to mention that this particular run is, after all, simply a very thoughtful gesture from a very thoughtful company. We didn’t do anything to deserve this kindness and we certainly are not “owed” a forum knife. Naturally, I would love to have one for my own collection, but I’ve already told myself that if it’s not meant to be, it is not meant to be. (Ok, I’ll get off my soapbox now). :)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
nccole

Post by nccole »

curdog wrote:I have no problem with post count or length of time as a member but I hardly ever
post just like to read everything and I have a few spydercos and will only order
1 fourm knife when available

Me too! I post way more on Bladeforums, but primarily read on here. Most guys here are Spyderco nuts, and on Bladeforums a lot of people wander into the subforum and ask questions about Spyderco, and that is where most of my posting comes from. I don't have a forum knife yet, and really hope to get this one. I love that Spyderco is always trying new steels, new colors, and new handles.
curdog

Post by curdog »

Thanks nccole
Have been member BF for long time just like to read and get information
got 2009 fourm spyderco and use it all the time have skinned out over 2
deer a year with it and will do the same with this one
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

Depending on the number of pieces made, if it is 300 or under, a limit of 1 per member makes sense. How many is being made is unknown at this point but a limit of 2 and a low number can leave a lot of members disappointed and would be even more prone to hoarding.

I wouldn't have the post count but I want one real bad. Next to the Stretch, the Native5 is my favorite Spyderco. Longtime lurker before I finally joined here but I got like 500 posts on the BF subforum, looks like I chose the wrong forum to talk about Spydercos. In all likelihood though, they will probably just leave it on a first come first served basis but I could totally understand where you guys are coming from.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Don't worry everyone. I'm creating 150 different accounts and writing a computer script to auto-purchase them all the second they go on sale. You can then purchase them from me on eBay for only 2-3x the price I get them for. I'll make sure that everyone who wants one, will get one. For a price that is. :D :rolleyes:

But seriously, a quantity has not been announced. Right now it's all speculation. Spyderco is quite aware of the scarcity issues and hoarding with the previous forum knife and have said they will take that into consideration for future runs. I find it strange how worked up people get about imaginary scenarios involving buying a pocket knife. :confused: First world problems I guess... :p
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
springnr

Post by springnr »

Yea, just check to confirm APO/AP address is good to go for ordering as I'm overseas right now.
Checking to see if the order is open will give me something to do while drinking the morning cup.
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

Hi guys, thought I'd register while the stampede is going strong. ;)

Frankly I'd prefer the CF, but might as well cover my bases. You never know what's going to happen.
JB3

Post by JB3 »

Evil D wrote:No you're right, and I'm sure a huge percentage of that number are members who rarely ever come around, if at all, but suffice to say there are probably at least 1000 active members, and if the run will be less than 500 then people are going to miss out if all those people want one. Price might be the equalizer here, we'll see. I just hate seeing people miss out and then have to turn to hiked up secondary prices.
Yeah, I'm worried that I'll forget to check in for a couple days and they'll be gone. I don't have a s110v Spyderco and I want this one for real.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Blerv wrote:Agreed. The last one sold out in about half a day, not 45 seconds. I feel bad for those who didn't get one (I didn't but could have).

REgardless of outcome you can only control how you respond to a situation. :o
Not just true, but TRVTH. :)
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

springnr wrote: Checking to see if the order is open will give me something to do while drinking the morning cup.
I'm hoping that's just an "expression"? I don't do ANYTHING, including browsing for unicorns, until at least cup three ;)

...... Now where'd I leave that Aeropress......?

Ken
玉鋼
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

I'm out. I am just going to grab the Dyad sprint instead. This opportunity has really soured me on the forum knife, which otherwise I would like to have. I hope all the forum OG's get theirs and those with 2 can spread the wealth. This reminds me why I seldomly eat the complementary breakfast at hotels, as people show a really ugly side. Their body language lets you know they don't give a **** about you and their selfish needs are all that matter.
Enforcer, just to be clear, you are who are good many are refering to with negative observations. So far you are the guy who shows up at the pool party, takes a dump in the pool, and then thinks "hey I got the pool all to myself!" Enjoy your 5 forum knives. Just remember "the things you own end up owning you"-Tyler Durden
No need to retort, I will not be checking this thread again and waiting for my Dyad
78lilred

Post by 78lilred »

As long as the green pm2 doesn't get released at the same time, I hope to get a forum knife.
M390 Para2, CTS-XHP Para2, CTS-204P Para2, Gayle Bradley, Techno, Bob T Slipit, M390 Mule, Southard, Southfork, Air, Tuff, ZDP Caly 3.5.
PatCatMan

Post by PatCatMan »

IMHO - Should be only 1 per member and a min. 100 posts.
If the re-sellers wanted to manipulate that - then they would have to work for it.

It would really be a shame if I missed this one - but whatever happens - happens.

I wouldn't shelve the Forum knife if I were Spyderco - they know very well what to expect from the masses based on the previous Forum knife responses.
Just make the requirements a little tougher to get one - so that the members who have participated and waited for this get a better chance.

Spyderco - You have time - the knife hasn't hit yet - You can make the requirements anything you want now!
Maybe I wouldn't make the min. requirements - so be it - just make sure the goons, cheaters and hoarders don't get most of'em.

Pat
"You miss 100% of the shots you never take"
DRH

Post by DRH »

gbelleh wrote:I hope the irreverent and crass behavior exhibited by some doesn't sully this forum knife for those of us who regularly visit and contribute in the respectful manner that makes this forum so great. Coming here and being blatantly disrespectful to Sal and the whole crew is unbelievably gauche and embarrassing. :(
This is why Taz should have closed this thread immediately after the initial announcement ..... then only reopened to announce that it's time to go get'em. Sorry, but that's just the way I see it.
-------------------------
My Knife Collection
(Updated 6/16/2016)

Dennis in PA
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

But there's no way someone wouldn't have started a new forum knife thread.
:bug-red-white
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Blerv wrote:It's a combination of selfishness and exclusive goods. Same reason people were clawing Xbox's out of each other's arms when it first launched. Same reason why people go feral in grocery stores thinking only of themselves during extended power outages.

I also think it brings in a spurt new folks which raises a question of profiteering. Some very respectful and excited, others a bit more...unkempt. ;) . This forum is slow to anger and really slow to boot people. There is obvious downside but the upside is it doesn't have a similar vibe to a maximum security prison yard.

As for the last one, a certain dealer buying 7 forum knives to make a quick buck then posting a mocking "response video" turned puppies into rabid hounds.
I think basic requirements should be met to stop the issues.

250 post min on this forum.