I've got a bit of a dilema...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Delica ffg, Chaparral, Techno... Which one?

Delica
45%
Chaparral
21%
Techno
34%

Total votes: 71

Parkourdude

I've got a bit of a dilema...

Post by Parkourdude »

So I've come full circle in my knife collecting journey and in need of another Spydie...

My options are the classic delica 4 ffg, Chaparral and the Techno.

This will be my edc knife. Delica, chaparral for slicing and the techno to handle 'harder' tasks.

I know which knife comes with which features, just can't decide.

Which would you choose out of those three? Why?
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Personally, for an EDC knife, I'd go with the Delica. It is light weight and darned near indestructible - but not so expensive that you would hesitate to use it and enjoy it. Plus, you can get replacement parts for it easily and it comes in colors! :cool:

TedP
Worry less - Breathe more...

Spydie Fanatic #185
Cricket Bite

Post by Cricket Bite »

I voted Chaparral. It is a great EDC. It disappears in the pocket and a classy looking thing to boot. It has a solid feel in hand. I have a Delica 4 which I like but not as smooth as the Chaparral. Been loving mine for about a month now. No experience with Techno.
I’ve come to conclude that Fettucini Alfredo is just Mac-and-Cheese for food snobs.
— Neil deGrasse Tyson
bh49

Post by bh49 »

phillipsted wrote:Personally, for an EDC knife, I'd go with the Delica. It is light weight and darned near indestructible - but not so expensive that you would hesitate to use it and enjoy it. Plus, you can get replacement parts for it easily and it comes in colors! :cool:
TedP
+1
Green is the best :)
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I carry and use my Techno far more than the others mentioned. It's just so solid, and high quality. It's a joy to use every time.
:bug-red-white
Pomelly

Post by Pomelly »

I choose Delica, for the same reasons of Phillipsted, and I want to add that is less expensive, so You can think to buy different colours or version (kind of blade, wave opener etc ) , and It's made in Japan, that never goes bad...
camvdcs

Post by camvdcs »

Been EDCing my black Delica since the 90s. I vote Delica. It takes a beating but keeps on ticking.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

+1 on that...
phillipsted wrote:Personally, for an EDC knife, I'd go with the Delica. It is light weight and darned near indestructible - but not so expensive that you would hesitate to use it and enjoy it. Plus, you can get replacement parts for it easily and it comes in colors! :cool:

TedP
Diamondback

Post by Diamondback »

TedP
I too agree with Ted's recommendation.
"Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt."
"Measure for Measure"
-W. Shakespeare
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

They are pretty different. I'd prob go for a Delica (or Lil Matriarch) but that doesn't mean much. If you are ambivalent I would go that path and save $40-140.
CarbonFiberNut

Post by CarbonFiberNut »

My vote was for the Delica as well. It's a classic for a reason - solid little workhorse knife, and if you don't have any driving reason to pick up the more expensive ones, you save a few bucks to get an extremely versatile working blade.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

If money's a factor, I'd say go for the Delica. Otherwise, go for the CF Chaparral.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

Para 2
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
Knivesinedc

Post by Knivesinedc »

Delica. better grip and more possibilities and colors
Relentless Perseverance in the Face of a Lightless Sky.

Joshua 1:9b "Be strong and courageous, do not be terrified, do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go"
Parkourdude

Post by Parkourdude »

Thanks guys, I think I'll go for the Delica. Just thinking about having a blue one in my pocket gets me excited.
vaisforlovers

Post by vaisforlovers »

Pakourdude,
phillipsted hit the nail on the head as to why. I'm excited for you! I think you made a great choice!
James
"The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stewart Mill
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

The Delica was my spyderco gateway drug. I will add however that you can get a Native 5 for just about the same price as the Chaparral. It is about the same size as the Delica and oh so worth the few extra bones you pay for it. But for the money the Delica is a great knife.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I voted Chaparral because I like it better than the Delica and I don't own a Techno. If I wanted something tougher than the Chaparral I'd go for something tougher than the Delica like a Manix or what I carry is the Sage4. I think the Sage4 is a stronger knife than how it is percieved. It seems to be thought of as a larger gent's folder. It definately fills this role IMO but also is strong enough to be used as a good work knife also. I feel it is similar to the BF (GB) in this regard. Tough knife but too pretty to be a hard use folder.

The Delica is a great knife. I just like others in my hand a little better.

The Techno is one knife I hope to own sometime soon.

Unless you need a tougher knife I think the Chaparral is just about perfect.
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

I think the Chaparral would make the best slicer (for basic EDC tasks), and it's the prettiest, in my opinion.
Delica PE, Dragonfly Salt SE, Stretch SE, Manbug SE, Mule 16, Sage 1, black/satin PM2, Native 5
Greaser

Post by Greaser »

I have the Chaparral and the Techno and I'd have a hard time choosing between the two...I really like them both. The Chaparral is a little thinner, a little lighter and looks a little more "fancy." The Techno is thicker and seems tougher, it looks "cooler." I was just using mine to help crack open some stubborn pistachios :)

I don't plan on getting rid of either, but if I could only keep one, it would probably be the Techno.