I've got a bit of a dilema...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Delica ffg, Chaparral, Techno... Which one?

Delica
45%
Chaparral
21%
Techno
34%

Total votes: 71

IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

Personally the front/mid/back lock is not my prefered lock. I would go for the Techno!! And Why?

Very good slicer
Nice thick blade
Framelock
Full Ti
Deep Carry clip
Smooth action
Wicked fit and finish
Stonewashed blade and handles
And the blue backspacer tops it off :)

The Techno is one of the best knives Spyderco produced IMO, everyone should have one in his collection!
Current EDC: Techno, Squeak, Southard Flipper, Caly 3.5

New Arrivals: Chap3, Domino, Sage 3

2014 Wishlist: Yo2 CF, Deviant Friction, Tatanka, Tusk, Firefly

Oldies Wishlist: Delica CF PE, Civilian CF PE
Ohin3

Post by Ohin3 »

Delica, Delica, Delica. It's a solid knife and comes at a very low price for a VG-10 Spyderco. I have a saber ground Delica 4 that I use as an edc for work and it is truely a work horse. I soooooooooooo want a delica full flat ground. I just love a full flat ground blade, but I fear it would be just a bit too delicate for the **** I put my knife through on a daily basis as the owner of a contracting company.
78lilred

Post by 78lilred »

Love carrying my Techno daily.
M390 Para2, CTS-XHP Para2, CTS-204P Para2, Gayle Bradley, Techno, Bob T Slipit, M390 Mule, Southard, Southfork, Air, Tuff, ZDP Caly 3.5.
Parkourdude

Post by Parkourdude »

****, I think you guys put the Techno back in my radar. Might have to get both the Delica and the Techno now.....
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

Parkourdude wrote:****, I think you guys put the Techno back in my radar. Might have to get both the Delica and the Techno now.....
If you're like me you will likely end up owning all 3. It's just a matter the order in which they arrive. I haven't owned a Chaparral but I can vouch that the Delica and Techno are both excellent knives. The Ti Chaparral is one of the next ones on my to get list.
VeloWeave

Post by VeloWeave »

I'm 2/3 of the way there. I have both Chaparral and Delica 4 (blue). Techno is next on my radar right after Leaf Storm. I think it depends on OP's type of edc. If casual edc then go Delica, if gentleman's edc then go Chaparral. They are both great and I see he has gone Delica. Can't go wrong there. Enjoy!
glbpro

Post by glbpro »

I personally do not like liner or frame locks because I have a long nail on my right thumb (I'm a guitar player) which makes it hard for me to manipulate that type of lock in the conventional manner. So I would prefer the Delica.

Another knife you might wish to consider is the Salt 1 - this is based on the 3rd generation Delica with no steel liners, H1 steel and a slightly different blade shape. It's even lighter than the Delica at 2 ounces and also made in Japan. Plus you don't have to worry about rust which I think is a consideration for an EDC knife.

Second on my list would be the Chaparral, followed by the Techno.

Regards,
Bruno
Regards,
Bruno

"Each of the builders wore his sword at his side as he worked." - Nehemiah 4:18
PaloArt

Post by PaloArt »

As I´m getting older and older I realize that I don´t need large folders for my daily cutting tasks. As owner of Military, Delica, Ladybug and some more I would definitely say "go for Techno". I played with one and despite blade thickness this knife is cutting through all different materials with scary ease. Also it is built like tank and in quirky way it´s beautifull.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

glbpro wrote:I personally do not like liner or frame locks because I have a long nail on my right thumb (I'm a guitar player) which makes it hard for me to manipulate that type of lock in the conventional manner. So I would prefer the Delica.

Another knife you might wish to consider is the Salt 1 - this is based on the 3rd generation Delica with no steel liners, H1 steel and a slightly different blade shape. It's even lighter than the Delica at 2 ounces and also made in Japan. Plus you don't have to worry about rust which I think is a consideration for an EDC knife.

Second on my list would be the Chaparral, followed by the Techno.

Regards,
Bruno
On a side note I used to play guitar quite a bit and tried growing my nails several times. However, I could never keep them. I would break them off just by doing things non-fingernail related. Maybe they aren't strong enough so I had to give using my nails. Also, I understand your delima because when the nails are at a good length for guitar they are in the way of so many other things. I never could understand women who had long nails all the time. :confused:

These three knives actually seem to be a "set" for EDC that is perfect IMO. You have the Delica which IMO sets the standard for EDC folders. Then you have the Chaparral for dressy mode and the Techno for heavier duty cutting. So, all three would cover you anytime unless a larger "size" is required. I have put the Techno on and removed it from my mental wish list many times. This means I've taken the hook. If I ever put it on my "written on a piece of paper" wish list the hook will be set and it will be a matter of time until I'm in the boat (buy the knife). :D

I read where you had decided on the Delica but not which one you got. Unless I missed it can you give an update on your choice? Just curious. :)

Jack
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I would take the Chaparral, hands down. It is smaller than the Delica, thinner, but the blade length is close to being the same. The carbon fiber looks great and there seems to be a new titanium version with some really radical looking circles made from, of all things, straight lines. It is beautiful in the photos I've seen.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050