enuff sheath problems

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
broo

enuff sheath problems

Post by broo »

I love my new leaf point enuff but am starting to really wonder about the sheath. It seems to have a ton of wiggle room where the lips engage around the distal part of the handle and the knife has fallen out actually on several occasions, which I consider pretty unacceptable. By comparison my aqua salt sheath which i.s conceptually similar is totally secure. Has Anyone else had this problem? Or Sal, if you are reading this, any hope for a fix?
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

broo wrote:I love my new leaf point enuff but am starting to really wonder about the sheath. It seems to have a ton of wiggle room where the lips engage around the distal part of the handle and the knife has fallen out actually on several occasions, which I consider pretty unacceptable. By comparison my aqua salt sheath which i.s conceptually similar is totally secure. Has Anyone else had this problem? Or Sal, if you are reading this, any hope for a fix?
I would call Spyderco immediately. This would be unacceptable to me. A knife falling out of it's sheath would be worse than not having the knife at all. It needs to be remmedied. Probably under the warranty but not sure.

Worst case scenario is you can heat the kydex with a hot-air gun and squish the sheath (with knife in it). It will cool quickly and hopefully be tight. That would probably void the warranty though. I'd call or email SPyderco today.

Good luck. I know how it feels to anticipate something and be disappointed by a little thing like this.
curdog

Post by curdog »

I have the same problem with mine so was thinking
about having another one made by someone else
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

I would think this is a warranty issue, and I wouldn't imagine you'd have trouble with Spyderco's stellar customer service. I don't have the Enuff, but I do have an Aqua Salt and agree that retention is perfect on that sheath.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear Broo:

Please send both your knife and sheath into Warranty Repair. By evaluating both together, we can determine the best course of action and get you back in business as soon as possible. This is always the best course of action, especially when compared to sheath modifications. Mods may void your warranty and don't allow us to analyze the exact nature of the problem.

Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience and continued confidence.

Stay safe,

Mike
Michael Janich
Spyderco Special Projects Coordinator
Founder and Lead Instructor, Martial Blade Concepts
broo

Post by broo »

Thanks for the support. I mailed the package in, and USPS tracking says it arrived on the 13th. I look forward to seeing if it can be worked out.

I am hoping that you guys received it and it was a clear "whoa, that never should have made it through quality control" one-defective-part kinda thing, that can be easily remedied with a new sheath or something.
bc

Post by bc »

I love my Enuff, but had to put a red dot on the sheath top to make absolutely sure I put it in correctly EVERY time. I could see how it could be reversed, and I'm thick enough to do it.
thurin

Post by thurin »

bc wrote:I love my Enuff, but had to put a red dot on the sheath top to make absolutely sure I put it in correctly EVERY time. I could see how it could be reversed, and I'm thick enough to do it.
When I was in the SFO looking at the Enuffs I was told that the sheath works either way. Does it not fit as securely if you do it one way vs the other?
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

bc wrote:I love my Enuff, but had to put a red dot on the sheath top to make absolutely sure I put it in correctly EVERY time. I could see how it could be reversed, and I'm thick enough to do it.
The sheath is meant to be reversible.
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

I know some people have commented about the sheath rubbing and causing dull spots on the edge, but fortunately I haven't had any issue with that -- perhaps slight differences in the grind? Even though the scales are FRN, I find them really comfortable. I wish Spyderco would have a similar design made as an option for the Mules -- though I have high hopes to make some pretty scales of my own for that, but things don't always go as well as I plan :) .

I really love my Enuff (I have the Leaf blade version) for whittling, making shavings for fire prep, etc. And mind does seem to work well enough in the sheath facing either direction.
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
bc

Post by bc »

I guess it works fine either way, but to me I clearly see a top. Plus I just like consistency.
Sithus1966

Post by Sithus1966 »

I have had no problems with either of my Enuff's and the sheaths. They won't fall out if I hold them upside down and shake them hard.
C05, C05S, C10SRD, C10SBK(x2), C10FPBR, C10GRE, C10FPGR, C11, C11FPBK, C12SBK2, C14 C17 C21, C28BK, C28BK2, C28YL2, C36, C45, C54GPBN, C77, C80GPOR, C81, C81GS, C81GBK2, C85GP2, C86, C86P, C86PET, C90, C94, C95, C106, C109, C116, C122, C123CF, C123, C123GBL, C126(x2), C132GP, C135GP, C136, C137, C138, C140, C142, C146CFP, C148, C158TIP, C161GP, C162, C163PBK, C164GPBN, LBK, LBKII(x2), LYL3HB, LGRE3, MBK, FB20, FB23, FB24SBK, FB31SBK, FBPBK, MT12, MT13, MT16, Woodcraft.
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

There was a thread on here somewhere that said that if you put the knife in one way you dull the edge but the other way works. Apparently it's opposite of what information sheet says.
Delica PE, Dragonfly Salt SE, Stretch SE, Manbug SE, Mule 16, Sage 1, black/satin PM2, Native 5
peacefuljeffrey

Post by peacefuljeffrey »

Tonight I saw the Enuff for the first time (I haven't been doing a lot of knife browsing in a while) and I really like the design, particularly the leaf blade.
I have to say, though, that with a company as experienced and talented at design as Spyderco is, I don't think that there should be any room at all for there to even be this ambiguity (e.g. "is the sheath reversible or isn't it?"). I feel that, especially if there is a potential for damage or dulling if the knife is put into the sheath the wrong way, the sheath should be designed to absolutely prevent incorrect insertion.

I love Spyderco, so maybe I hold it to an exceptionally high standard. (That's intended to be a compliment, actually.) :)
"Within this frame an ocean swells -- behind the smile -- I know it well..."
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

I've had my enuff for a few months now and purposely carried it on weekends (FB carry doesn't mix well with my work ;) ) to test both sheath and knife. My experiences are that the sheath works, it does what it´s supposed to do. It keeps the blade securely in and there is no rattle in regular carry all day long. However, the fit isn't as ´nice´ as a properly made kydex/concealex sheath. I can induce rattle if I violently move the sheathed Enuff back and forth, the release could have been a bit tighter for my personal preference, and it is a somewhat bulky package - compared to the custom kydex sheaths for my Mule by Mike Sastre or the sheath on my custom Kreins. Functionally speaking, I´d have to say that my Enuff sheath just plain works. And for a production molded sheath it´s a well though out design. I´d love to see a tad more resistance when drawing the knife though.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
donovanlai

Post by donovanlai »

I'm thinking to get Enuff to use as a neck knife, but is the sheath secure to carry inverted? and how's sheath rubbing and causing dull spots on the edge problem? is it an individual case?
peacefuljeffrey

I have a leaf-blade Enuff on its way to me, and depending on how I do or don't like the sheath, I may make one out of kydex so I can carry it as a neck knife. I'm not a kydex expert but I can make a serviceable neck sheath that doesn't look like crap. The one that currently holds my EDC Benchmade TK-1 looks like it could have come with the knife, and is extremely comfortable. So hopefully before long I'll be EDCing an Enuff.
donovanlai

Post by donovanlai »

peacefuljeffrey wrote:I have a leaf-blade Enuff on its way to me, and depending on how I do or don't like the sheath, I may make one out of kydex so I can carry it as a neck knife. I'm not a kydex expert but I can make a serviceable neck sheath that doesn't look like crap. The one that currently holds my EDC Benchmade TK-1 looks like it could have come with the knife, and is extremely comfortable. So hopefully before long I'll be EDCing an Enuff.
Please update us here if you got any review after received the Enuff~ ;)
peacefuljeffrey

Will do. :)
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

I am assuming that the Kydex sheaths are the same for all of the Enuff line, correct? If this is the case, I can see that mass producing one sheath to fit multiple models could be a challenge...

I'm sure Spyderco's CQI program will work out the kinks. As Michael pointed out - if you send the knife and sheath in for warranty repair, they will not only sort out the issue for you, but they'll gather data to allow them to improve the model going forward.

Now that's how you "take care of business"!

TedP