Street Bowie Question

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RatDralX

Street Bowie Question

Post by RatDralX »

I just got my black Street Bowie.

It looks like the tang extends down into the handle, and is exposed in the back. Upon further examination, it seems that the tang is not exposed, and that the jimping on the back of the handle is in the plastic.

Can anyone verify this?

How far does the tang go into the molded handle? The rubber grip insert is squishy, I'm very curious what's under it.

I'm not upset or concerned, just curious. At $84, this knife is a great value...
Chopping Broccoli

Post by Chopping Broccoli »

I asked this same question in another thread and never really got an answer. Am also curious....
Current Spydies....
Captain
Persian
Chinook 3
Manix 2
Stretch (Black CE and Blue ZDP)
Military (orange, brown, and CF)
Para Military 1 (black) (My EDC)
Para Military 2 (grey, orange, brown, blue, green)
Khukuri
Sage 1, 2, 3, & 4
Dodo
Chokwe
Gayle Bradley
Caly 3.5 Super Blue
UKPK
Urban (Wharncliffe and Leaf)
Progrip
Endura (white, orange, and G10)
Delica x6
Dragonfly x2
Ladybug x4
Perrin Street Bowie
Super Leaf

RatDralX

Post by RatDralX »

I just saw, in a google image search, a picture of the old non-black street bowie. It is clear that the satin finished blade disappears inside of the handle.

Still curious about the design underneath....
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

As I understand it the Spyderco FRN-injected fixed blades use a 2/3 tang design. It's not a rat-tail but a more substantial piece of metal locked in a very secure FRN case. I would venture to think you would snap the blade in half before removing it from the handle.

There are definitely cases for a full-tang but mainly from an aesthetic or grip-replacement (if not pinned/glued) stance. The Street Bowie is pretty dang tough given it's weight and length (and cost :) ).
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I know that somewhere, either on this forum or BladeForums' Spyderco sub-forum, there's an x-ray shot of the Street Bowie handle. I'm too **** lazy to search for it but, IIRC, the tang is a constant 1/2" or so in width, has some holes in it, and extends between half and 2/3 of the handle's length.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Enkidude

ok

Post by Enkidude »

With your street bowie should have come a booklet. Mine came with one. It explains that the jimping on the handle is the FRN. The rubber stuff on the handle is called Kraton. Find that booklet and read it. Its quite enjoyable. Im pretty sure that there is just a cutout that the kraton sits in, but thats entirely speculation.
Don't mess with the Spyder because you think you're fly.
Transcend the illusion.
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

I looked for the x-ray photo that Deacon mentioned but could not find it. I hope someone does. Then again, not sure if the tang has seen some kind of modification after that x-ray was taken.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
jzmtl

Post by jzmtl »

Meanwhile if you have a small strong magnet you can tell at least the length of the tang.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

KardinalSyn wrote:I looked for the x-ray photo that Deacon mentioned but could not find it. I hope someone does. Then again, not sure if the tang has seen some kind of modification after that x-ray was taken.
I can't see any reason why they'd modify it. Recall Sal saying they'd never gotten one back where the tang loosened in, or pulled out of, the handle.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!