Emerson opener

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RJNC

Emerson opener

Post by RJNC »

Anyone else really not like the Emerson opener? I really wish the new Karambit coming out didn't have it. I just find it obtrusive.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Easy to grind it off, bro. I did it with my Delica and Endura.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Holland

Post by Holland »

i think its cool, but the concept doesn't agree with my morals
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

Doesn't do it for me. I bought my CQC7 without that option (and I was glad that they offer at that way) as I have know need or desire for that function. I like to have a part in the opening of a knife, I think that's why automatics also have no appeal for me and for the same reason I am still a little undecided on flippers.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

If it were offered on more knives that I really like (Para 2, Yojimbo 2, Manix 2) then I would be more inclined to like them. I've also found that zip ties are more reliable and consistent...they seem to catch the pocket better and are removable when you're sick of looking at them.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

It works well. I think a folding kerambit absolutely needs a wave opener. It's the only way to pull it out in reverse grip locked into the ring.

For normal knives it isn't quite as handy but is pretty cool. We don't always have to shop with necessity in mind :) . As David said a well executed zip tie is pretty great.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Thank goodness for you they make the D4 and E4 in many other flavors...P'Kal is wave removable. Much more of a problem on actual Emerson knives.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

It's very handy and I'm glad it's an option. It's not the most attractive addition but IMO its way better than a zip tie.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Holland wrote:i think its cool, but the concept doesn't agree with my morals
No problems with morals as far as I'm concerned, but I've had accidental openings, which is a big turn-off, even if you want to tell me it's user error.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Morals are subjective depending on the person and intent of the design. I'm sure some officers will really like the Karahawk as a gun retention aid. Likewise Emerson's wave was used for the Rescue Endura.

While one could say the same about a Microtech OTF knife I wouldn't own one even if legal. It just strikes a similar (personal) cord to what Holland is probably indicating.

Edit: that made no sense...
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Holland wrote:i think its cool, but the concept doesn't agree with my morals
Could you elaborate?
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Norris

Post by Norris »

I look at it like this. The Wave Endura is my Defence weapon, Nothing else. It does not leave my pocket unless I need to use it as a defence tool. All my other Enduras are work knives. The wave is just a way to get it out faster so I use it for defence. I have taken it out twice in self defence and the perp ran and then went to jail and I did not have to cut anyone.
:spyder:
Norris

Post by Norris »

I look at it like this. The Wave Endura is my Defence weapon, Nothing else. It does not leave my pocket unless I need to use it as a defence tool. All my other Enduras are work knives. The wave is just a way to get it out faster so I use it for defence. I have taken it out twice in self defence and the perp ran and then went to jail and I did not have to cut anyone.
Cricket Bite

Post by Cricket Bite »

I don't own knives with the idea that they will be used for self defense. I have been robbed twice at gunpoint and both times they had a gun. A knife would have been useless. So having something opening 1/2 a second faster does not appeal to me since IMHO it makes the knife ugly and obtrusive (as the OP put it). Flippers also go into this category as well. But I am glad Spyderco makes them. There are plenty of knives I like that others may poo poo. So different strokes for different folks.
I’ve come to conclude that Fettucini Alfredo is just Mac-and-Cheese for food snobs.
— Neil deGrasse Tyson
RJNC

Post by RJNC »

You said it JNewell ACCIDENTAL OPENINGS! Drove me nuts, and put some hole in some jeans.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Norris wrote:I look at it like this. The Wave Endura is my Defence weapon, Nothing else. It does not leave my pocket unless I need to use it as a defence tool. All my other Enduras are work knives. The wave is just a way to get it out faster so I use it for defence. I have taken it out twice in self defence and the perp ran and then went to jail and I did not have to cut anyone.
I mean this with the utmost respect and care (no intent to posture or judge), but be very careful.

Even calling a knife a weapon (or "defense") makes it illegal. Drawing a knife with intent is brandishing. Obviously it went well but I'd hate to hear a story about someone going to jail for trying to do the right thing against a scumbag who later "explained" he was asking directions... :(