centofante or delica?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Steffen

centofante or delica?

Post by Steffen »

which should i get?
i'm leaning more towards the centofante, because it has a less pointy tip
(for spreading things on bread)

for those of you who have used both, why would you prefer one over the other?

thanks.
vaisforlovers

Post by vaisforlovers »

I had this same question almost three years ago. I went with the Centofante for almost the same reason and because the Centofante seemed to be a little more unique than the extremely successful Delica. Three years later I have 1 Centofante and 6 Delicas. The Delica is successful for a reason. It is a well made knife that fits in my hand almost perfectly(and I assume a lot of others too). The Centofante is nice, the Delica is an extension of my hand. From an aesthetics point I prefer the Centofante. From an ergonomics and usability standpoint, I prefer the Delica.

I initially preferred the handle material of the Centofante, but have grown to like the FRN on the Delica better. It shows wear a lot better and is much grippier. If the knife is going to be user. Go with the Delica.
"The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stewart Mill
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

The 2mm thick hollow ground blade make the Centofante3 a superb slicer :D That it's looks add aesthetic value is bonus icing on the cake :) A 2.5mm thick Delica FFG slices very well also, but the Cento has the edge. The Cento also has a longer blade ;)

The Delica is on it's 4th major iteration and the Cento is on it's 3rd ;) Both are time tested and proven models :) You'll do well no matter which you choose :)
Attachments
cento3 004.jpg
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
BigBill5953

Post by BigBill5953 »

The Centofante is more of a classy, light duty slicer and the Delica is more of an all aroun workhorse. It depends what you're planning on using it for.
-Billy

Centofante 3|Brown FFG Delica 4|Persistence|Sharpmaker & UF rods|SS Kiwi|Manbug SE|Blue UKPK SE Leaf|Calypso Jr. FRN|Blue Dodo SE|Centofante 3|Grasshopper|Tan Ladybug Salt|Rookie Sprint|

bammann45 wrote:In Los Angeles we have roaming packs of carnivorous tortoises. I am glad we finally have a folder that can punch through their shells.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Centofante hands down. Ironic that vaisforlovers prefers the ergonomics of the Delica over the Centofante, because I'm the exact opposite. If you have large hands you may agree. In my eyes the only thing the Delica has over the Centofante is two liners (the Centofante only has one nested liner) and left hand clip options if you're a leftie. Otherwise the Centofante is thinner and carries better, slices better, has better more neutral ergonomics that fit a wider variety of hand sizes, and just has more style and class IMO.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Mister X

Post by Mister X »

I prefer the Delica since it is legal to carry almost anywhere with it's sub-3" blade & I like the fact that there is a training version for it as well as many different variations. As stated before, it is with good reason that the Delica & it's big brother the Endura are so popular.
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

I like the Cento more than the Delica because the handle feels more comfortable and the blade is more useful.
Looks better as well.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Personally, I'd lean towards the Centofante. My '02 Centofante Vesuvius is one of my all-time favorite designs--slim, lightweight, and terrific for slicing. (Then again, I'm a huge fan of Mr. Centofante's designs, so I'm probably slightly biased here). As dbcad mentioned, both the Delica and Cento are great designs. If you choose "wrong" the first time around, I suppose you'll just "have" to buy the other to make up for it! :D
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Steffen

Post by Steffen »

Evil D wrote: In my eyes the only thing the Delica has over the Centofante is two liners (the Centofante only has one nested liner)
i didn't know this, delica it is.
Pomelly

Post by Pomelly »

You should open your heart and choose the one that tells You ;p
My personal choice is the Centofante, but It's a sentimental choice... Vesuvius was my first Spyderco.
Centofante is more elegant and fine, with Delica You can choose colour, kind of blade, and other things like the wave opener, damascus steel...
Deal4

Post by Deal4 »

I like them both myself, but I do lean towards the Centofante as it fits my hand so well! It is the best slicer I have ever had and is super sharp! I love the look of the hollow ground blade as it is one of the most unique shaped blades I have seen.
The Delica is good, but it just seems kind of ordinary to me.
Both are great Spyderco quality!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Some people see the Centofante as a light duty knife...well some people consider slicing a lot of cardboard as harder use than average and that's about all I've ever used mine for. You have to consider that the thinner the blade and grind, the less resistance there is in a slice and so you don't need a thick blade for strength. You only have to worry about that if you start making hard twisting cuts or put too much lateral force on the pivot. Believe me I've done things with a Ladybug that would make people cringe and the Centofante is much stronger than a Ladybug.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

Let's see. I've bought four Centofantes and ... zero Delicas. Guess which way I'm voting?

Gordon
deep6

Post by deep6 »

Interesting thread, I have been wondering about these two also. The Centofante has been on my radar for years, and I did own a Delica, but I have been concentrating on PM2's and Manix 2's. The only FRN knife I have now is a D fly salt. I would like to see the OP's impression after the purchase of either one.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I've been looking at my Centofante 3 and a Delica 4, and IMO, it's too close to call a favorite. They each have their strengths, and either makes a fine EDC.
:bug-red-white