are there any new hawkbills in the works?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
KardinalSyn

are there any new hawkbills in the works?

Post by KardinalSyn »

I want to get a Hawkbill blade, a large one for my use. A Spyderco one would be great. However, there is no indication anywhere about a larger Hawkbill being released.

Anything new due to be released?
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
Raylas

Post by Raylas »

There's the Karahawk, which is a Karambit. Dunno if that counts, but that's the only one I know of.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints.
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

It does count. Thanks. I do find it a bit small though. Looking for something larger.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Try to find a superhawk?
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

Liquid Cobra wrote:Try to find a superhawk?
Yeah but couldn't. Looking for a NIB rather than used. That would have been super.
Alan Mackey

Post by Alan Mackey »

A DragonFly hawk would be a dream come true.
Lord vader

Post by Lord vader »

I don`t know of any.Did you get the Spyderhawk before they were discontinued? I would love to see the Superhawk make it back in the lineup,in G10 or carbon fiber.
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

i dont have any hawkbills yet or any reverse S blades. Perhaps I will need to wait a bit.
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

The Matriarch versions that are available are not a traditional hawkbill shape, but they are close and still available. Just an option.
JD Spydo

2 models are right there already

Post by JD Spydo »

There are some models already on the shelf. First of all they could re-release the Superhawk in full Spyderedge and I'm sure it would sell extremely well. It still blows me away that they didn't offer it up in Spyderedge when they put it in the main line up.

The size of the Superhawk is just perfect for the jobs I would use it for.

Also if they would re-release the original ATS-55 Harpy with the G-10 handle I know they would sell well. There are so many guys who like those models and they are already developed.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

JD Spydo wrote:There are some models already on the shelf. First of all they could re-release the Superhawk in full Spyderedge and I'm sure it would sell extremely well. It still blows me away that they didn't offer it up in Spyderedge when they put it in the main line up.

Also if they would re-release the original ATS-55 Harpy with the G-10 handle I know they would sell well. There are so many guys who like those models and they are already developed.
The SE Superhawk would definitely make me happy.
Lord vader

Post by Lord vader »

JD Spydo wrote:There are some models already on the shelf. First of all they could re-release the Superhawk in full Spyderedge and I'm sure it would sell extremely well. It still blows me away that they didn't offer it up in Spyderedge when they put it in the main line up.

Yeah,I forgot to mention the ATS-55 Harpy with the G-10 handle,I guess i`m slipping on my job. :o
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

Lord vader wrote:Yeah,I forgot to mention the ATS-55 Harpy with the G-10 handle,I guess i`m slipping on my job. :o
I'm afraid that the Harpy is slightly smaller than I like.

I guess that only leaves me with the Civilian that is somewhat closer to my requirement. The downside is that since that it is a dedicated SD blade, it will not meet my need for a utility blade. This I can remedy by carrying a smaller blade as a back up, perhaps my Dragonfly or Squeak or I may just need to get a Delica.
JD Spydo

Superhawk was a perfect size: Spyderedge version would be perfect

Post by JD Spydo »

KardinalSyn wrote:I'm afraid that the Harpy is slightly smaller than I like.

I guess that only leaves me with the Civilian that is somewhat closer to my requirement. The downside is that since that it is a dedicated SD blade, it will not meet my need for a utility blade. This I can remedy by carrying a smaller blade as a back up, perhaps my Dragonfly or Squeak or I may just need to get a Delica.
I'm kind of on the same page as you're on with the size of the G-10 Harpy>> but the super ridgid construction does offer a lot compared to the other similar sized Hawkbills currently on the main line up.

Again the Superhawk is truly the perfect sized Hawkbill for really demanding jobs but I would have to have it with a Spyderedged blade to fulfill my wishes.

It's funny that you would mention the Civilian because there have been times I've contemplated carrying my VG-10 Matriarch for the extra size it offers. But for some jobs I do prefer a conventional Hawkbill design over a "Reverse S" blade.

It is frustrating that they truly hit a home run with the Superhawk but fell short on blade selections>> and with all the Spyderedged Hawkbills that have sold well in the past I could never understand why they didn't make the Superhawk in Spyderedge :confused:
Tim_McD

Post by Tim_McD »

Is there are reason that you havent considered the Tasman?

I have the spyderedge on mine and it is a workhorse of an EDC. I primarily use it in the yard; trimming plants, cutting rope, cardboard (esp now that the town has gone to a single recycling barrel every other week). I hadnt noticed a significant dropoff in cutting efficiency since I back in Dec, but I ran it through the Sharpmaker this weekend and it is razor like now.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Tim_McD wrote:Is there are reason that you havent considered the Tasman?

I have the spyderedge on mine and it is a workhorse of an EDC. I primarily use it in the yard; trimming plants, cutting rope, cardboard (esp now that the town has gone to a single recycling barrel every other week). I hadnt noticed a significant dropoff in cutting efficiency since I back in Dec, but I ran it through the Sharpmaker this weekend and it is razor like now.
The H-1 Tasman is a great blade and I do own a few of them. But the super solid and ridgid construction of the Harpy makes me a lot more confident when doing rough cutting jobs. Like I said before the Harpy is even a bit smaller than what I consider "ideal" size wise and overall blade length. I do like the Tasman as a tackle box companion and for bug out bags and backpacks>> but my ideal Hawkbill would be the Harpy brought back with a G-10 handle and better yet the Superhawk with a full Spyderedged blade.

Also at one time a few people even thought that the Superhawk would have been a great Hawkbill to try out a combo edged blade. I still wouldn't object to trying a combo edged blade on a Spyderhawk either as far as that goes.

Now this thread asks "if there are any New Hawkbills in the works" >> well I truly hope there are to tell you the truth because Spyderco has shown me some great designs in their Hawkbill and Reverse S blades both and I would be open to a newer design myself. But as great of a size range that the Superhawk was in my opinion I truly would like to see one in Spyderedge just to see how good it would be in a hard use scenerio.
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

Tim_McD wrote:Is there are reason that you havent considered the Tasman?

The idea initially was to get a Karambit. I have no formal training in its use or any need to use one. Just due to the cool factor.

Then I thought why not go for a Spydie rather than anything else. Hawkbills are similar minus the Kunai type ring. The Tasman measuring just 4.00 inches is too small for my hands. Having gone through the specs for hawkbills in the 2013 guide, I could not find a suitable one that meets my requirement for a larger blade.