Legal Carry in California?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Resist

Legal Carry in California?

Post by Resist »

Which folder Spyderco knives are legal to carry in California?
dano

Post by dano »

State law, all of them, except autos with blades over two inches. County and City law varies, though.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Check my sig. Reference the statute to make sure it hasn't changed.
chuckd

Post by chuckd »

Yea and make sure you aren't on any college campuses either, its limited to 2.5". I ended up finding out I had gone through 4 years of sharpening my pencils in class with a 3"+ blade.
So many spydies, not enough pockets.

"No one else could ever be admitted here, since this gate was made only for you. I am now going to shut it." Before the Law, Franz Kafka

Spydernation #1990
lambertiana

Post by lambertiana »

It's been at least a year since I last checked the statutes, but state law does not limit size for folders. There is also no state law that restricts folders on college campus. For K-12, there is a 2.5" limit, and no locks allowed.

Any knife that is designed to look like something else is also forbidden (lipstick knives, shotgun shell knives, belt buckle knives, etc). As noted above, autos with blades over 2" are banned, as are balisongs.

There are some localities with stricter limits. LA county has a 3" limit, and San Francisco has a statute that forbids carrying knives over 3" when loitering (talk about a huge gray area). And I'm sure there are other municipalities with restrictions.
Waco

Post by Waco »

Lots of places have goofy rules, but it's generally not a problem if you avoid doing anything foolish with your knife in public.
endwahl

Post by endwahl »

No Switchblades, Gravity Knives or Balis unless blade is under 2".

No bladed implements that are disguised in any way, or "undetectable" by metal detectors.

Fixed blades open carry at waist only, regardless of length.

Concealed fixed blade, switchblade etc, and folder concealed while opened (!) are "wobblers," meaning can be charged as misdemeanor (jail or fine) or as felony (prison) at discretion of DA.

Generally, any one hand opener with lock and a detent of some kind OK to carry concealed, regardless of blade length, barring municipal laws.

Per above posts, K-12 bars blades 2.5" or longer and/or locking.

San Francisco bans concealed blades 3"+ in alcohol selling establishments, in "any place of public resort", or while "loitering" in public or on other's property, or when involved in any fight or other disorderly conduct; SFPD apparently considers a pocket clipped knife as open carry (I wonder if the DA agrees). Make of that what you will.

There are lots of Federal areas in CA, and here the Federal 2.5" blade length limit applies.
BD583

Post by BD583 »

I am glad that I do not live in California. In my state, with a CCW permit, I can carry anything (except Balisongs and Autos) and it trumps all local laws. Before I had a CCW I had to switch knives (well at least I should have) throughout the day as I went from one city or county to another.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Everyone else has explained the laws, so here's a suggestion: Delica 4 FFG. 3" blade which is legal in most municipalities which do have length limits (San Francisco, Oakland, Stockton, Modesto at least).
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Most counties if specifically noting length pick 3" or under 3". As mentioned that leaves a TON of great Spydies. All the LBK's, Delica, Sage, Native 5, etc. Depending on wording.

A smaller percentage of the ones that limit by length are 3.5" and lower. A much smaller number do 4" and under.

It makes sense that the larger the knife on average the fewer places that will allow it. Spyderco seems one of the more rational companies in this regard an even make sub-2" and Slipits. Basically a cutting tool for pretty much everyone. :)
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

At the end of the day, the best course of action would probably be to contact law enforcement or legal counsel in the area in which you are going to be. Advice obtained on an internet forum may or may not hold up in court, should it ever come down to that.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
Tank

Post by Tank »

I carry any knife i feel like and have never had any issues. While at a festival I noticed a clip i a cops leg pocket and asked if it was a spyderco and he pulled it out and showed me his G-10 Police. I pulled out my LH mili and handed it to him to check out, he was also a lefty and didn't know the made that one and got all excited about it. So I think its more in how you present your self then what size knife you carry. If your going to any amusement parks though, leave the knife in your car. they are not allowed and (at least magic mountain) make you walk through a metal detector.
-John
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Another point to consider is when entering private property, especially places of entertainment, they often have "no weapon" policies. Same goes with certain places of employment if you dig deep enough through the handbook.
Norris

Post by Norris »

Most officers will take your pocket knife, look at it makesure your not using it as a weapon and most of the time the officer will let it go. Unless it is any state of fed building. Ca state laws are loose however local police might disagree.
:spyder:
JudasD

Post by JudasD »

I too live in Ca. All of the info/advice above is very good. My county does not care about length so when i am near home i carry whatever length i want. But in my car i have a Sage 1 (3") so that i can carry it no matter what other county/city i visit when traveling in Ca.

JD
Resist

Post by Resist »

I'm more confused now than I was before. It was a simple question, which Spyderco folder knives are legal to carry in California?
JudasD

Post by JudasD »

California, at the state level, has no length limit. Now it depends on what your local city/county has set as a law. My county does not have any length limit, but the county adjacent to me is 3". The knife i usually EDC is 3.75" in length. I also have a 2.91" folder that i keep locked in my car that i EDC when i am in the neighboring county.

You will have to look up the laws for your county/city to figure out what the laws are. This might help you: http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife.pdf

JD
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Resist wrote:I'm more confused now than I was before. It was a simple question, which Spyderco folder knives are legal to carry in California?
That's because it's not a simple question. In California, as in many other states, you have both state and local laws to contend with and special rules for school grounds and government buildings, plus Federal laws and rules to contend with if you visit Federal buildings and land.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
c.joe

Post by c.joe »

Resist wrote:I'm more confused now than I was before. It was a simple question, which Spyderco folder knives are legal to carry in California?
We're trying to explain that there is no set answer for California overall. It varies county by county and even city. In the state of California, there is no limit in terms of what size manual folder and spring assisted model you can carry. Check your local municipal codes.

So no, it wasn't such a, "simple question." You can start by telling us which county/city you live in.
BAL

Post by BAL »

Also, if I am carrying in certain areas where the laws may vary and I feel like I want to have
a knife with me, rather than leave it in the truck, I may sure that it \ they are unclipped and
lying loose in the pocket. It is not obvious to just anyone looking.

I guess if you have a shirt covering it, that's anything, such as covering a side carry gun.
I actaully like to have a Yo2 in my front right pocket loose and I will walk with my hand in
my pocket at certian times with the knife ready, JIC. Such as anytime that I am walking in
the dark in a parking lot. Fortunately for me, I am in a 4" state so my options are wider.
I feel for you in Cal or any 2" area.