That darn Starmate

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
toomzz

That darn Starmate

Postby toomzz » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:24 pm

Hello forum,

there is much said about the Starmate and I want share some final thoughts with you.
After EDC-ing it a couple of weeks I conclude that I really like this heavy folder. I changed a couple of things to the knife. As I told before I blasted the clips, pivot and screws, cleansed and finished the bad finish of the knife and replaced the 1 mm G10 by 3 mm thick black G10 slabs.
I changed the slabs a couple of times. The thin original slabs are good for IWB carry but I don't like the knife in the pocket, thin or thick slabs.
The blade opens with a solid 'click' and breaths that it's a heavy one. Like!
Finally I added an aluminum blasted spacer (should have been there!) and I changed the the sunken torx-screws for buttonheads. The latter alteration is pure esthetics but button-torxes in the handle gives the knife just the appeal it deserves.
For my daily purposes at the office the knife a little to big, but it will be keeper. The liner lock is still a the beginning of the tang and strangely the knife is off-center with original G10 and spot on centered with my custom slabs.
I have plan to integrate the 'bug-pin' in the handle or do some more to the custom black G10 but it hasn't formed in my head yet :rolleyes:
I also make a couple of more slabs for the knife, dark green textured G10 or canvas micarta....keep you informed.....
IMHO the knife would have been superb in an exotic steel; SB or M4 with the original hollow ground.....
Tom

zippy2001

Postby zippy2001 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:51 pm

Sounds nice, let's see some pix. :-)

Liquid Cobra

Postby Liquid Cobra » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:58 pm

Standard reply demanding pics!!!!
Most recently acquired: Paramilitary 2 Tanto, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra

gbelleh

Postby gbelleh » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:10 pm

Sounds interesting. Another pic request!
:D :spyder:

Holland

Postby Holland » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:17 pm

pictures pictures pictures!
-Spencer

Rotation:
Junction | Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2

Knifeaddict

Postby Knifeaddict » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:24 pm

I would like to replace the screws on a cpl of my Spydies. exactly where do you get button head screws for Spydies?

and yeah Pics or it isnt for real :)

jackknifeh

Postby jackknifeh » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:08 pm

Now Toom, it's hard to believe you didn't include pics, or at least beg forgiveness while promising pics in the future. :)

What you did sounds great. In case it hasn't mentioned, can you provide some pictures of your work? :) Of the work you've done that I've seed, this knife will be worth looking at.

Jack

toomzz

Postby toomzz » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:20 pm

.....you guys are right, no pic no story.... :) See for yourself.
3mm G10, buttonhead torxes, Alu-spacer and blasted hardware...Nice and rounded, perfect fit for (my) large hands....
Attachments
air starmate bradley 006 (350x263).jpg
Tom

Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”