Most expensive knife lost to the TSA?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Shakyamuni

Most expensive knife lost to the TSA?

Post by Shakyamuni »

Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today to pay our respects to the finest knife I have ever owned.

On Monday, March 25th, I headed out with my family for spring break vacation. We took a plane and I packed my favorite knife, a Blue Paramilitary 2 M390 with an STR deep carry clip. Over the last 2 years, I have tried about 50 different knives, mostly Spyderco, and this was the one that fit me best. I put it and a Juice S2 into our checked suitcase in a small black bag with other things such as flashlights and batteries. When we weighed the suitcase, it was 58 lb, exceeding the 50 lb limit. In the rush to lighten the suitcase by 8 lbs, I grabbed the small black bag and put it into my check-in bag.

My check-in bag went through the X-Ray 3 times, with the screener possibly confused that someone would try to bring such a big knife through security. After the 3rd time they opened the bag and pulled out my beloved blue Para 2 and Leatherman and my heart dropped. They asked me what I wanted to do. I could exit security and check it in, or I could let TSA "destroy" them. I didn't have enough time before our flight to exit security, so I made the decision to let them go.

$190 Blue Para 2
$36 STR Deep carry clip
-----
$226 in Spyderco losses + $40 Juice S2

My advice to anyone is to learn the lesson that I learned the hard way: Don't bring a knife anywhere near a plane unless you would be OK losing it.
camvdcs

Post by camvdcs »

Ouch! Sorry to hear about your loss.
Revival

Post by Revival »

Wow that sucks man.
chuckd

Post by chuckd »

Ah yes. I, depending on the location and reason for my traveling, won't bring a knife for fear of such a situation. I like to put it in a boot or shoe in my bag, or a special pocket.

RIP!

they took my leatherman micra (USA Made too), which a friend had given me and he had gotten it from a store that sells items confiscated by the TSA, so a bit comical and I am just feeding into the circle of TSA knives.
So many spydies, not enough pockets.

"No one else could ever be admitted here, since this gate was made only for you. I am now going to shut it." Before the Law, Franz Kafka

Spydernation #1990
Cameron

Post by Cameron »

I just had a friend that works for the TSA and knows I love Spydercos offer me those two for $100, needless to say they are on their way to me via UPS ground express!!

Thanks man!!

Cameron
Bradley Folder 2 CPM M4
Military ​​​CTS XHP​ - CPM​ ​Cru​-​wear​
Para Military 2CTS​ XHP - CTS 204P
Manix 2 CTS XHP - CPM​ ​Cru​-​wear​ - CPM​ M4
deep6

Post by deep6 »

Cameron wrote:I just had a friend that works for the TSA and knows I love Spydercos offer me those two for $100, needless to say they are on their way to me via UPS ground express!!

Thanks man!!

Cameron
Really?......
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

Cameron wrote:I just had a friend that works for the TSA and knows I love Spydercos offer me those two for $100, needless to say they are on their way to me via UPS ground express!!

Thanks man!!

Cameron
Joke or not, you have bizare sense of humor :confused:
Current EDC: Techno, Squeak, Southard Flipper, Caly 3.5

New Arrivals: Chap3, Domino, Sage 3

2014 Wishlist: Yo2 CF, Deviant Friction, Tatanka, Tusk, Firefly

Oldies Wishlist: Delica CF PE, Civilian CF PE
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Six hundred Blue Paras on the wall, six hundred Blue Paras on the wall
Take one down, pass it to the TSA...
Five hundred and ninety nine Blue Paras on the wall...

(I'm really sorry for your loss, Shakyamuni...)

TedP
Holland

Post by Holland »

that sucks, sorry for your loss
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Hey Shaky, you have my sincerest condolences.
linuxology

Post by linuxology »

and i thought losing my izula hurt. I can only imagine how your heart must have hurt.
Spyder-fan

Post by Spyder-fan »

That sucks. :( The blue Para 2 is my favorite Spyderco I own.
jones76

Post by jones76 »

I feel for your loss. I live in the U.K and ordered a blue para 2 from an ebay seller in the U.S not fully realising the import laws in the uk. I took a gamble that does not look like its going to pay of.
3Speedyfish3

Post by 3Speedyfish3 »

Sorry, Shakyamuni. That is too nice to lose!

TSA, or a Southwest baggage handler, got my FFG Brown Delica. I had stonewashed a bright clip for it. Not as nice as your Para, but still made me mad/sad/homicidal.

Randall
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

That is really sad to hear, Shakyamuni. :( I am very sorry for your loss. I've never personally "lost" any knives during pre-flight security checks, but my father-in-law once had to surrender his first-gen Ladybug to the TSA several years ago. He felt pretty bad about it, too, due to the fact that I had given it to him for Father's Day.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

I've never lost one. I always arrive at the TSA checkpoint at least an hour ahead of my flight. Usually I'm at the airport 2 hours before my flight. Not trying to be a jerk....but that's how you don't lose 'em. ;)
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
Gunslinger

Post by Gunslinger »

That's exactly why my traveling knife is a Benchmade. :D
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
BD583

Post by BD583 »

I bet that PM2 went home with someone (Someone who does not appreciate what he has). If you must pack a Spyderco consider buying one from the China line.
flash900

Post by flash900 »

Good advice: Don't fly with any knife you wouldn't want to part with.
Spydies: Caly 3 & Jr.; Michael Walker; Dragonfly, 2 & G10; Delica 4, FFG, G10, & Wave; Endura G10 & Wave; Rookie; Ambitious, Persistence, Tenacious; Sage 1, 2, 3; CAT CF & G10; Chicago CF; Ladybug; Bradley; Manix 2, Blue & XL; Native 4, 5 & Forum; Balance; Rescue; Salt I & Pacific; D'Allara; Junior; PPT; SuperLeaf; Urban Safety Orange; Para 2; Matriarch 2 & Lil'; Techno; Southard; Tuffthumbz Sage 2 & Para 2 mods; Cuscadi Pingo; Domino; Slysz Bowie
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

Thanks man!!

Cameron

really????????????????? what can I do to get them back to my bro shakyamuni???????????????????????????????/